History of Borough of Coalport, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago

Search Historical Newspaper Collections



BOROUGH OF COALPORT

Nearly all of the towns in Clearfield county are situated at points where the natural advantages are such as to draw population or business to the locality. The situation of the Borough of Coalport is a good illustration of this fact. It is located on Clearfield Creek, in the southern part of the county and near the division line between Clearfield and Cambria counties, twenty-three miles from Altoona, and twenty-five miles from Clearfield. It is on the line of the Pennsylvania and Northwestern division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, which connects with the niain line at Bellwood, and is also on the Cresson and Coalport division, which connects with the main line at Cresson, Pa., thus giving the town good railroad facilities. Valuable deposits of bituminous coal are found in the neighborhood and the various coal operations make Coalport the center for a large amount of business.

The town was originally laid out by James Haines and S. M. and J. D. Spangle and was incorporated as a borough in 1883. It has five churches, one weekly newspaper, a National bank, and fine public schools. The present popuation of the borough is about fifteen hundred.

Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter