History of Borough of Curwinsville, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago
On December 10, 1798, John Curwen, Sr., of Montgomery county, Pa., obtained from the Commonwealth a patent for
three hundred and fifty-one acres of land on the banks of the Susquehanna River, at the mouth of Anderson Creek,
in what was at that time part of Lycoming county. On this property Curwen laid out a town, consisting of forty-eight
lots, lying between what are now known as Thompson and Locust streets, which he named Curwensville. John Curwen,
Sr., bequeathed this property to. his son, George Curwen, from whom the greater portion of it was subsequently
purchased by John and Wni. Irvin. Up to the year 1812, not a single building had been erected on the town plot,
although from the best information now obtainable, it seems that there were at that time two dwellings on the Curwen
lands. One of these was erected by Job England, near where the Patton homestead now stands, and the other by a
Mr. Weld, near the dwelling now owned by the Misses Nannie and Alice Irvin. In 1813 Daniel Dale built the first
house in the town proper, upon the lot corner of State and Filbert streets, where the Owens block is now located;
James Moore, James Young, Mark Jordon and Josiah Evans, Esq., built the next dwellings in about the order named.
During the year 1818 William Irvin, Sr., the father of Colonel E. A. Irvin and John Irvin, Sr., the father of Colonel
John Irvin, came to Curwensville. John Irvin erected a saw-mill, and a grist-mill near the present site of the
Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]