The Borough of Grampian was originally known as “Pennville” and was incorporated December 6, 1885, but on account
of the confusion arising by reason of the similarity of the name with that of Penfield, another town in the county,
the name of the borough was changed to Grampian by a decree of the court, dated May 6, 1895.
The town lies among what are known as the “Grampian Hills” five miles from Curwensville, and is the present terminus
of the Tyrone & Clearfield Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The town has three churches, a fine schoolhouse and an electric light plant, and is a prosperous and progressive
community. There are several bituminous coal operations near the town, and also a large fire brick plant, located
at Stronach, about two miles from Grampian. These industries give employment to a large number of men.
Grampian has long been known for the attention, that its inhabitants have given to educational and literary affairs.
The present population of the town is six hundred and sixty-six (666).