History of Borough of Irvona, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago
BOROUGH OF IRVONA
The Borough of Irvona is situated in Beccaria township, about two miles from Coalport. It is located on the
eastern side of Clearfield Creek.
The town was laid out by the Witmer Land & Coal Company and was named in honor of Col. E. A. Irvin, of Curwensville,
Pa., who was largely interested in that company.
The borough was incorporated September 2, 1890.
The town is reached by the Pennsylvania & Northwestern division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and by the Clearfield
Southern Branch of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad.
The borough is well laid out, with wide streets and the buildings are modern and substantial. It has three churches,
good public schools, and it has a hustling and wide awake population.
There are several large coal operations in the neighborhood of the town, and also a large tannery. Irvona is also
the trading center for a considerable section of Clearfield and Cambria counties.
The present population is about five hundred.
Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [
History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]