The Borough of Newburg is situated in the northern end of Chest township and is one of the oldest towns in the
county. The town is located on the banks of Chest Creek and on the line of the Pennsylvania & Northwestern
Railroad, and also on the line of the Clearfield & Cambria Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The village was first called Hurd postoffice, after Henry Hurd, Esq., one of the oldest citizens of the locality,
who erected the first dwelling on the site of the present town of Newburg.
After the construction of the Pennsylvania & Northwestern Railroad in 1887, the town grew very rapidly and
became quite a centre of business for that section of the county.
The town was incorporated as a borough in 1885. The name of the postoffice was changed from Hurci to La Jose in
honor of George Jose, Esq., who is one of the prominent citizens.
Near the town are several coal operations that materially assist its business prosperity. The population of the
borough at the present time is about three hundred.
It has good churches, good public schools, and the people are enterprising and progressive.