BOROUGH OF NEW WASHINGTON
The Borough of New Washington was incorporated in the year 1859, and is situated on Chest Creek, one and one-half
miles from La Jose.
In 1835 the Methodist Protestants built the first church known as the “Mount Zion;" ;“ this church was built
out of hewed logs, and about two years later the Methodist Episcopal denomination built a hewed log church near
the location of their present building. Both of these old log churches have geen succeeded by handsome new buildings.
In the New Washington cemetery are the graves of John Ludwig Snyder and his wife, Anna Maria, believed to have
been the oldest people who ever lived in Clearfield county. John Ludwig Snyder was born in Ludwig, Germany, March,
1746, and died in November, 1860, at the remarkable age of one hundred and fourteen years, and his wife, Anna Maria,
was born in Philadelphia, in May, 1752, and died in August, 1857, aged over one hundred and five years.
In the lumbering days of Clearfield county, New Washington was an important point and a large business was transacted
there, but it is now principally dependent upon the surrounding farms for business. On account of its high altitude,
a number of people from other places are in the habit of spending the summer months in this town. The present population
is about four hundred.