History of Borough of Ramey, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago
BOROUGH OF RAMEY
The Borough of Ramey is situated in the northern part of Gulich township and is reached by the Moshannon Branch
of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and also by the Philipsburg Railroad.
The borough was incorporated in the year 1878. D. K. Ramey & Company of Altoona, who were the owners of a large
amount of timber land in the neighborhood, erected a large mill at this place for the purpose of sawing their lumber,
and the town rapidly increased in population and business. After the timber was cut away, a number of coal operations
were started in the neighborhood and upon these the town is largely dependent for its present business.
Ramey has four churches, good public schools, a fine water supply and is a thriving place. A few years ago the
town suffered a disastrous fire, which wiped out many of its best buildings, but better structures have been erected
in their places, and Ramey is now one of the most progressive towns in the county. Its present population is about
Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [
History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]