History of Borough of Troutville, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago

Search Historical Newspaper Collections



BOROUGH OF TROUTVILLE

Troutville was laid out as a town in 1854. It was named after Jacob Troutwein. It is situated in Brady township in the northwest corner of the county. It was incorporated as a borough in 1890. Jacob Troutwein, after whom the town was named, had located there and built a building used as a hotel about the year 1845. As a sign for this hotel, he bad a large painting of a trout and many people called the place "Fish-Town" and it is commonly supposed that the town was named on account of this sign, but as stated above this is an error.

The land on which the town is located is nearly two thousand feet above the sea level and the surface gently slopes to the westward. There are many fine farms in the neighborhood and large coal operations have been opened up a few miles from the town.

Troutville has two churches and good public schools. It is principally dependent upon the mining and agricultural interests, as it has no manufacturing industries. The present population of the borough is about two hundred.

Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter