This township is of recent formation, having been erected by a decree of court in 1883. The township was named
in honor of Hon. William Bigler, a former Governor of Pennsylvania and who was a citizen of Clearfield County.
The history of its early settlement is contained in the histories of Beccaria, Geulich, Knox and Woodward townships,
from which it was formed.
The township is bounded on the north by Knox and Woodward Townships, on the east by parts of
Woodward and Geulich Townships, on the south by parts of Geulich and Beccaria Townships and on the west
by parts of Beccaria and Jordan Townships.
The principal business of the township is the mining of bituminous coal, which is carried on on a very large scale,
the principal operations being at Madera, in Bigler Township. This place, situated on the east side of Clearfield
Creek, was originally called Puseyville after Charles Pusey who owned a large part of the lands upon which the
town is built.
The population, according to the census of 1910 was 4013.