History of Bloom, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago

Free Trial - Ancestry.com World Deluxe Membership


BLOOM TOWNSHIP.

This township was erected by a decree of court, dated January 14, 1860 and was formed from parts of Penn, Pike, Brady and Union townships. This township is bounded on the north by Union Township, on the east by Pike Township, on the south by Penn Township and on the west by part of Brady Township.

The principal occupation of the people of Bloom Township is agriculture. The population, according to the census of 1910, was 451.

The township was named in honor of one of its pioneer families, and the descendants of William Bloom are now scattered by hundreds all over the county and in various states. Its surface is generally hilly and mountainous. It is watered by Anderson and Little Anderson Creeks, the former flowing in a generally southeast direction through the eastern and northeastern part of the township, the latter being a tributary stream.

The settlement of the township was slow, owing chiefly to its distance, from the river, and also because it was heavily wooded, necessitating much labor in the clearing of farms. Among its first settlers were Isaac Rodden, who settled on lands along the line of the turnpike in 1815, and who had a numerous family. He was a man noted for his ceremonious transaction of business. James Bloom, son of William Bloom, the pioneer, was a prominent man in the affairs of the township and was an associate judge of the county. He was proprietor of the “Forest House,” on the “pike,” and also postmaster, his place being a post office station.

Jonathan Taylor, a blacksmith, was another pioneer, who lived for a time on the site on which the Forest house was built. He had a large family. Another man of large family was James McWilliams, who came about the same time, and lived about a mile south of the hotel. He was a great hunter and kept a number of dogs of various kinds.

John Ellinger settled in the eastern part of the township, coming from Brady. He was still living at an advanced age in 1887. The turnpike to which reference has been made was the Susquehanna and Waterford Turnpike road, incorporated in 1818. It was not long in use, however, being superseded by others. Another turnpike company was incorporated in 1828 and was known as the Snow Shoe and Packersville Turnpike Co. The town of Packersville, now extinct, was named after Isaac Packer, a person of some prominence in the early days in this region. He built and operated a hotel at this place, which was torn down about 1777. by Henry Reams. John Neeper was the second proprietor of the hotel. Henry Reams was the first class leader of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which belonged also the families of Squire Smith, Joseph Whitmore, William Henry and others.

The Methodist Protestants also held early meetings in the “Greenville” schoolhouse, James Cleary, who officiated for a time as a preacher, being a leading member of the society. Other members of this society were John Ellinger, John Bilger, Isaac Thompson (a local preacher), George Leech and others. The United Brethren, Baptists and Dunkards have also at different times mustered some strength in the township, but in view of the total population of the township, none of these societies have at any time been large or powerful.

The township has adequate schools with efficient teachers, being as well provided for in this respect as any other township, in proportion to its size. The inhabitants are quiet and orderly and as a whole represent a good class of citizenship.

Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter