The principal occupation of the inhabitants of this township is agriculture. The population, according to the
census of 1910, was 1154.
The earlier history of Boggs township belongs to Bradford township. of which it was formerly a part. George Shinimel
made a settienient on lands about half a mile from the present borough of Wallaceton in the year 1810. In the same
year Peter Shimmel began clearing a farm on the old State road, near the point known as Maple Springs. Henry Shimmel,
another member of the same family, began improvements in the same year.
Henry Folk began a clearing in the forest on the present site of Wallaceton in 1813, being the pioneer in this
work. In the same year Abraham Hess came from York county, settling on the east side of Clearfield creek. Another
pioneer of 1813 was Nimrod Derrick, who made a clearing on the old State road. Abraham Lits also began improvements
in the same year on the banks of Clearfield creek, as also did George Wilson.
The following year, 1814, saw the advent of Andrew Kephart and Jacob Haney, who began clearing land on the old
State road, George Wilson in the same year building a saw-mill near the mouth of Long Run.
The first tavern in the township was built by Alexander Stone in 1820, on the line of the old Erie turnpike, William
Lamadue building another on the pike about the same time, which would seem to indicate that there was then a fair
amount of travel over the pike.
The Millwood farm was made in 1820 on the road leading from Philipsburg to Clearfield, the road, however, not having
yet been built; and in the following year Bresaler’s tavern, on the Erie turnpike, was built.
In 1815 the Elder saw-mills and cardingmachine were erected near the mouth of Little Clearfield Creek, and began
operation. Abraham Elder’s saw mill, located a short distance from Blue Ball, was built in 1828. The sawmill of
Jerry Smeal, at Blue Ball, was built in 1838. These were the most important settlements and improvements made before
the erection of the township.
The first election was held in 1838, with the following result: Supervisors, William Lamadue and Abraham Hess;
constable. Geo. McCord: overseers, Jacob Haney and John Beers; school directors, George Wilson, George Turner,
George Goss, George Shimmel, John L. Gearhart and Abraham Hess.
In 1839 the township had a population of less than 225 persons.
In 1840 Warren’s saw-mill was built on Laurel Run. In 1860 Thompson’s grist-mill was built on Morgan Run.
The surface of Boggs township is hilly and rough, though it has less of the mountainous formation than may be found
in some other localities in the county. The chief stream is Clearfield Creek, which forms the western boundary
for a few miles, and which has a number of tributaries, the northern one of these being Long Run. Morgan Run is
probably the largest tributary of Clearfield Creek lying within the township, and as the lands adjacent have produced
fine timber, many sawmills have been erected on it. Other streams watering the township are Camp Hope Run, Sanborn
Run and Raccoon Run, all of which discharge into Clearfield Creek.
Boggs township is amply supplied with good schools and teachers. Several church societies are represented, the
United Brethren building their first church edifice in 1848, about two miles west of Wallacetown borough. from
which parent society several others have since grown. The borough of Wallaceton will be found treated of in the