The first white settler of this township was James Woodside, a native of Chester county, Pa. He located on a tract
of land situated on the head waters of Stump Creek, which was surveyed to him in July, 1785, whith was known as
the “Woodside” and later as the Luther place. Here for twenty-two years he had no neighbors but the Red men of
the for~ est. He was then cheered by the advent of a new white settler, Joab Ogden, who located a mile further
down the creek—this was in 1807, on the spot which afterwards became the site of Carlisle station on the B. R.
& P. Railroad.
In 1812 George, Michael and Frederick Scheffer settled on Sandy Lick Creek, George locating on land that is now
a part of the site of DuBois. Fred and Michael located a few miles further up the creek.
James, Benjamin and Thomas Carson came in 1814. In 1820 Lebbeus Luther, a native of Massachusetts, bought and settled
on a tract of land located where Luthersburg now stands, the place being named after him. He was appointed by Messrs.
Fox & Co., who owned thousands of acres in this section, as agent to dispose of their lands. He made his first
sale to Benjamin Bonsall, who came from Perry county in 1824. About this time also Frederick Zeigler, came from
Center county and settled on what was later known as the “Thompson” place. Mr. Bonsall was appointed first justice
of the peace after the organization of the township in 1826.
John Carlisle, who came from Lebanon county, was another settler on the site of Luthersburgh.
In 1830 Jacob Kuntz, a native of Germany, settled near where the Reformed church was later erected. The year 1831
saw the advent of the Knarrs, Weisgerbers, Wingerts, Korbs, and Yoases, Jacob Trautwein coming in the following
year. These settlers were soon followed by many others, whose names we have not space to record. Many of these
early settlers “squatted” on land—that is, took possession of it, without knowing to whom it belonged, and by keeping
undisputed possession of it for 21 years became the lawful owners.
The first mill in the township was Ogden’s (near Carlisle Station). Two famous hunters among the early settlers
were Fred Zeigler and “Uncle Billy” Long. Another excellent marksman was Lebbeus Luther. All these men could tell
great hunting stories and, as game was exceedingly plentiful, did not have to draw much on their imagination, as
modern Nimrods are so often accused of doing.
Luthersburgh was the first post office established in Brady township, dating back to the completion of the turnpike
about 1820. David Irvin was the first postmaster. Troutville post office was established in 1857 to 1858, the first
postmaster being Jacob Kuntz. The town had been laid out three years previous to this time, and was named, it is
said, by Rev. John Reams, in honor of Jacob Trautwein, the name as finally adopted being a contraction of Trautweinville,
which was found to be inconveniently long.
Joab Ogden built the first grist mill in the township, some time previous to 1830, though the exact date is not
now known. About 1849-50 Jacob Kuntz built a grist mill on East Branch (of Mahoning) a mile and a half south of
Troutville; this was later known as Risliel’s mill. In 1854 Jeremiah built a steam and water-power grist mill on
the head waters of Stump creek, two wiles west of Luthersburgh. It was subsequently operated by his son Samuel,
and afterwards passed through various hands.
The first saw-mill was built, it is said, by Fred Zeigler between 1824 and 1830, Jesse Line’s saw-mill being subsequently
erected on the same site. The second saw-mill was built by Jeremiah Miles, it being later known as Zeigler’s mill.
The first minister who preached in Brady township was a Rev. Mr. Anderson, who came about 1822, and held servicesjn
the bar-room of Luther’s tavern. He was a Presbyterian. In 1827 came Rev. David Kennison, being sent by the Baltimore
conference of the Methodist Episcopal church; he also preached in the tavern at Luthersburgh. About the same time
came Rev. John Althaus, a Reformed minister from Armstrong county, who made occasional visits preaching to the
German settlers. These early pastors and others who soon followed them were the men who organized the religious
element of the township and laid the foundation of the moral and religious development and thriving church societies
that exist today in the township, and which in Union with good schools, have had so much to do in moulding the
character of its inhabitants.