This township was erected from Morris township by a decree of the Court of Quarter Sessions, dated the i8th
day of January, 1884. The township was named in honor of the Cooper family, who were among the earliest settlers
in the locality, Daniel Cooper having located near Kylertown, in 1828.
The township is bounded on the north by Karthaus Township and part of the dividing line between Centre and Clearfield
Counties, which line also constitutes its western and southern boundaries, it is bounded on the west by parts of
Morris and Graham Townships.
Valuable deposits of coal have been found in this township and are being operated at the present time. There are
also many fine farms in the township. The population according to the census of 1910 was 5713.
Cooper is one of the youngest townships in the county and its earlier history therefore belongs to Morris township,
from which it was taken. It has had a considerable increase in population, as in the year 1887 it contained but
375 taxables, the increase having been due to the development of its coal and other mineral resources. The village
of Kylertown is named from an old and highly respected family that settled in the locality many years ago, substantial
representatives of which are still living. The other settlements are West Clymer, Winburne and Peale.