History of Gulich, Pa.
From: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens
By: Roland D. Swoope, Jr.
Published By Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago

Free Trial - Ancestry.com World Deluxe Membership


GULICH TOWNSHIP

This township enjoys the distinction of having as part of its boundaries, portions of the lines of three other counties. The township was erected by a decree of court made in 1858. The township was named in honor of Peter Geulich, one of the early settlers in that section of the county, the official spelling having since been changed to “Gulich.”

The township is bounded on the north by Bigler and Woodward townships, on the east by part of the dividing line between Centre and Clearfield counties and part of the dividing line between Blair and Clearfieki counties, on the south by part of the dividing line between Cambria and Clearfield counties and on the west by Beccaria township.

There is considerable coal development in this township, and also many fine farms. Its population, according to the census of 1910 was 2,112.

The surface of Gulich township shows great inequalities in altitude. At the mountain top known as Highland Fling, half a mile from the head waters of Moshannon Creek, it reaches a height of between 900 and 1,000 feet higher than Bellwood or Bell’s Mills in Blair county, while the channel of the Muddy Run, near Madera, in the northwest part of the township, the channel is cut deep into gullies and ravines. This Run forms the boundary between Gulich and Beccaria townships, and originates in a number of beautiful springs but a short distance south of the county line. It was for many years the only means of transporting timber to the eastern market.

The first opening for coal in this township was made by George W. Davis in 1851 on Muddy Run, blacksmiths and others coming to his bank from long distances for their supplies, since which time the coal industry has grown to considerable proportions.

Among the first corners to Gulich township were the Geulichs, with old Peter Geulich before-mentioned; the Glasgows, who were first known by Mr. John Glasgow moving in about 1840; the Cresswells, headed by John Cresswell; John Nevling. John Hannah (about 1854); Joseph Fry and family; David and Henry Alleman; Harry Hummell, from Dauphin county; the Rameys, the Flynns, the Coonrods, the Ganoes, the Kingstons, the McKiernans, the Davises, the Stevenses and others.

Janesville, the first town in Gulich township, was named from Jane Nevling, who afterward became the wife of Dr. Caidwell, of Glen Hope. When the postoffice was established it was given the name of Smith’s Mills. In 1851 Abraham Nevling, who had moved to this vicinity, built a house for his own use, and was soon followed in building by Westley and Mrs. Nevling. This was the origin of the town of Janesville and Smith’s Mills. The postoffice was established in 1868, Joseph D. Ganoe being the first postmaster.

Henry Alleman moved into the county and township in 1851, taking possession of a shanty previously occupied by John Potter. He afterwards enlarged and rebuilt it. It was situated right on the division line between Cambria and Clearfield counties, so that, of a party at table, those sitting on one side were in Cambria and those on the other in Clearfield county. Around this place grew up the settlement of Allemansville, where a postoffice was established in 1868, with Henry Alleman as postmaster. A Methodist church was built in 1871 and a schoolhouse erected. Mr. Alleman was for a number of years treasurer of the township.

Ramey, in the northern part of the township, is a borough and mention of it will be found in the succeeding chapter of this volume.


Return to [ Clairfield County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter