History of Chester, Pa.
From: A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Edited By: John W. Jordan, LL. D.
Published By Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York 1914


THE CITY OF CHESTER.

Chester is located on the Delaware river, fifteen miles below Philadelphia, and fourteen miles from Wilmingon, Delaware. As Upland it was settled by the Swedes in 1643, and is the oldest town in he state. In 1644. the present site of the city was a tobacco plantation occupied by servants in the employ of the Swedish company. The Swedish government granted to Jörankeen a patent for land one and a half miles inland, following the right bank of Chester creek above its mouth and extending along the Delaware as far as Ridley creek. The land on the west bank of Chester creek, extending along the river to Marcus Hook, was granted by Queen Christina of Sweden to captain John Amundson Besh, "his wife and heirs," by patent dated August 20, 1653, Captain Besh, however, never entered into possession, as (lie land included In this vast tract seems to have been claimed and held by Armgart Papegoya, daughter of the first Swedish governor Printz. In 1645 Upland is still reported a tobacco plantation, but prior to 1648 was a settlement of some importance and is mentioned by campanius as "an unfortified place but some houses there." The Indian name of the present city was Mecoponacka; the Swedish, Upland; the Dutch called it Uplandt, while the English alternated between Upland and Chester. Dr. Smith thus describes the naming of Chester by Penn, on his first arrival:

"He landed at Upland but the place was to bear that familiar name no more forever. Without reflection, Penn determined that the name of the place should be changed Turning around to his friend Pearson, one of his own society, who had accompanied him in the ship 'Welcome,' he said: Providence has brought me here safe. Thou hast been the compankn of my perils. What wilt thou that I shall call this place?' Pearson said 'Chester,' in remembrance of the city from whence he came. William Penn replied that it should be called Chester, and that when he divided the land into counties one of them should be called Chester. Thus for a mere whim the oldest town, the name of the whole settled part of the province, the name that would have a place in the affections of a large majority of the inhabitants of the new province, was effaced to gratify the caprice or vanity of a friend. All great men occasionally do little things."

This explanation of the change of name has been strongly refuted, and the name stated to have been changed to Chester because most of its English inhabitants came from Cheshire in England. A letter written by Penn, November 1, 1682, is dated Upland, but one written December 16, 1682, states: "An assembly was held at Chester, alias Upland." This is the first record of the name Chester as applied to the old Swedish settlement at Upland. Penn when he landed resided temporarily at the house of Robert Wade, but during the winter of 1682-83 was a guest at the "Boars Head Inn," a noted public house of Chester, destroyed by fire March 20, 1848. The first meeting of the General Assembly was held in Chester, beginning its session December 4, 1680.

Penn, shortly after his arrival, sent for James Sandelands, the elder, to confer with him, for it was "talkt among the people, that it was Intent to build a city." Seemingly the chief owner of land in Chester demanded too much, if it had been Penn's intention to make of Chester a "Great town." The first street in Chester laid out by authority, was now Edgemont avenue, ordered by the grand jury in 1686. In November, 1699, William Penn granted a charter to the borough of Chester. In 1708, the borough contained "one hundred houses;" In 1758, Acrelius says "it had 120 houses," which indicates a very slow growth. Between 1761 and 1770, Francis Richardson built extensive warehouses and two piers known as Richardson's Upper and Lower Wharf. believing Chester could be made a rival of Philadelphia as a shipping point, but the Revolution ruined him. After the Revolution, Chester was incorporated by act of assembly, March 5, 1795, with all the rights and privileges of a shire town, and was the capital of Chester county until the erection of Delaware county, then continuing as the county seat of the new county. In 1840 the borough had only increased to a population of 740. In 1848 the Supreme Court decided that the act under which Media had been chosen the new county seat of Delaware county was constitutional, and in the summer of 1851, new buildings having been erected, court records and all movable county property were transferred to the new court house and jail in Media. This was considered a fatal blow to Chester, but was in reality the beginning of its advancement. The advantages it offered to manufacturers became apparent, and the farms around the borough held by old men in easy circumstances that could not be bought at any price, began on the death of their owners, to come on the market, clearing the way for expansion. Tracts were laid out in streets and squares, manufacturers came in, and Chester began an onward march that has never been checked. The history of its past and present churches, schools and manufacturing is told in separate chapters.

In 1724 the present city hall was built for a court house, and was so used until the removal of the court of Chester county to West Chester. In 1789 an act was passed dividing the county, and creating Chester the capital of the new county of Delaware. The old court house was again made headquarters for the county officials and courts, continuing tintil the removal of the county seat to Media. The building is now used as the city hall, the old court room on the lower floor being the offices of the mayor, chief of police and city surveyor, while the old grand jury room is now used as the common council chamber.

On February 13, 1866, Chester was incorporated a city, and John Larkin Jr., was elected the first mayor. In 1888 the borough of North Chester was consolidated with the city of Chester, and is now known as the First Ward. In 1889 (October 8), Chester became a city of the third class under the provisions of an act of assembly approved May 23, 1889. On February 27 the borough of South Chester was annexed to the city, becoming the Ninth Ward, although later the territory was divided into three wards,-the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh. The city now contains eleven wards, and is a city of the third class, the lawmaking bodies being a select and a common council. The city is provided with an efficient volunteer fire department, consisting of the Franklin, Hanley, Good Will and Felton hose companies, and the Moyamensing Hook and Ladder Company. Chester contains, according to the census of 1910, a population of 38,537, constantly increasing; has ninety-five miles of paved and unpaved streets; has trolley connections with Philadelphia, Wilmington, Delaware, and all suburban towns; thirty churches, four national banks, two trust companies, two savings banks, two daily and two weekly newspapers, and eighty-two secret organizations.

The New Chester Water company, J. L. Forwood, president, furnishes the city's water. The source of supply is the Delaware river; reservoirs with a capacity of 21,000,000 gallons, a filtration phant of 10,000,000 gallons daily capacity being located on Harrison's Hill, three and a half miles from Chester, inland. The pumping capacity of the plant is 18,000,000 galions daily; the efficiency of the filtration plant for six years has been 98.8 per cent. Among the city's educational institutions (see schools) are the Pennsylvania Military College, Crozer Theological Seminary (Upland), and Chester Commercial College. The charitable institutions of the city include Chester Hospital, the Crozer Home for Incurables, and the J. Lewis Crozer Hospital.

A feature of Chester's educational and religious work is that done under the auspices of the Young Men's Christian Association, incorporated 1874, whose brick six-story building, with basement and roof garden, stands at the corner of Seventh street and Edgemont avenue. This building was dedicated and opened November 17, 1907, the cost being approximately $175,000. The association uses the entire building, except stores on the first floor, having in addition to all the features of a modern Young Men's Christian Association, dormitories that accommodate forty-five roomers. Every department of their four-fold plan of work-spiritual, mental, social and physical-is fully organized, and a grand work is being done. The officers of the association are: M. Ocheltree, president; Orlando H. Cloud, vice-president; Elson W. Sheffield, general secretary; John C. Hinkson, treasurer; William M. Bowen, recording secretary.

The first post office building erected by the government was located on the corner of Fifth and 'Welsh streets, and was first occupied in November, 1896. John L. Garrett being postmaster. The building becoming too small for the large business transacted, large additions were begun, now nearing completion. Free delivery was established tinder Postmaster Robert Chadwick, about 1892, twenty-six carriers, now covering the entire city, the village of Trainer and a part of Marcus Hook. The office is one of the first class, employing thirteen clerks. The building is also used by governmental departments, customs, internal revenue, pensions, civil service, and inspection of engineering machinery. The present postmaster, James W. Hamilton; was reappointed, February 12, 1912; assistant postmaster, Charles Longbotham Jr.; Lois Armstrong, superintendent. The following is the amount of business done at this office for the periods named:

Year ending June 30, 1876. Total receipts of office $13,959.14
Year ending June 30, 1886. Total receipts of office $22,030.31
Year ending June 30, 1896. Total receipts of office $35,520.68*
Year ending June 30, 1906. Total receipts of office $63,477.82
Year ending June 30, 1913. Total receipts of office $74,967.05

*Year the present building was occupied.

An efficient Board of Trade, that looks after the commercial, industrial and general interests of the city, was organized December 7, 1886, that did excellent service for several years, then practically ceased its efforts. In 1907 activity was resumed, and in 1912 a thorough reorganization was effected, annual dues increased from $5 to $25, the present paid membership numbering 487, S. D. Clyde, president; Neil B. Sinclair, secretary.

Steam transportation facilities are furnished by the Baltimore & Ohio, and Philadelphia, Baltimore & Washington railroads; water transportation by several companies running steamboats north and south on the Delaware; the Southern Pennsylvania Traction and the Philadelphia Rapid Transit companies furnish city and interurban facilities. Twelve building associations flourish in the city, all prosperous and helpful.

Chester Free Library, Library Hall, 176-118 East Ninth street; West End Free Library, Fourth and Jeffrey streets; and the Young Men's Christian Association Library, at their building, Seventh and Edgemont, furnish free and excellent library service. Two companies of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, with armory at Eighth and New Market streets, meet for drill Monday and Tuesday nights of each week-Company B, Sixth Regiment, Cap tain Samuel Linville; and Company C, Captain Harry P. Vercoe.

The Delaware County National Bank was chartered under the "Omnibus Bank Act" of March 21, 1814. A temporary board of directors was chosen August 27, with John Newbold, president pro tem. On November 28, 1814, the first regular board of directors was elected, consisting of John Newbold, Jonas Eyre, Samuel Anderson, Peter Deshong, John G. Hoskins, Thomas Robinson, George G. Leiper, Jonas Preston, Charles Rogers, Joseph Engle, Pierce Crosby, John Cowgill and Nimrod Maxwell. On the same day John Newbold was chosen president, Preston Eyre, cashier. The first building erected and owned by the bank was first used for banking purposes November 20, 1815. The bank prospered and paid dividends until the fall of 1834, when it was found that a large amount of redeemed notes of the batik had by some means gotten into circulation, therefore, between 1834 and 1837, dividends were passed, the earnings going to repair weakened capital. They soon recuperated and steadily prospered, ranking in credit second to no similar institution in the state. When Lee invaded Pennsylvania in 1863, money and securities of the bank to the amount of several hundred thousands of dollars were sent to the Bank of North America in Philadelphia, to be forwarded to New York, with the funds of the latter bank, should occasion demand it, but when Meade and his army rolled back the tide of invasion, the money was returned. On March 14, 1864, the bank ceased its existence as the Delaware County Bank, and was chartered as the Delaware County National Bank. On March 6, 1865, after the amount necessary to secure the charter had been deposited in the United States Treasury, the surplus funds of the old bank were divided among the stockholders, paying a dividend of $7 per share, and December 28, 1868, a further dividend of was paid, this finally settling all the outstanding business of the old bank. Samuel A. Crozer was the first president of the Delaware County National Bank, and Caleb Emlen the first cashier. In 1882 the building erected in 1815 was removed, and a modern banking house erected on its site at a cost of $50,000 for building and finishings. The report of June 4, 1913, to the United States government, showed total resources of $2,427,269.67, with deposits, subject to check, of $957,239.33. The capital stock of the bank is $300,000; J. H. Roop, president; T. M. Hamilton, cashier.

The First National Bank was organized May 15, 1864, a charter having been previously obtained under articles of association-Abram R. Perkins was elected president; William Taylor, cashier; directors- Abram R. Perkins, Samuel M. Felton, Thomas Reanney, Benjamin Gartside, Samuel Archbold, Samuel Eccles Jr., and William Ward. The bank began business at the southwest corner of Penn and Second streets, continuing until January 18, 1871, when it moved to a new location, and on the 23rd of the same month, Abram R. Perkins, having moved from Chester and in failing health, resigned the presidency and was succeeded by John Larkin Jr., one of the four men to whom Chester is indebted for much of the prosperity that attended their period, the others being John P. Crozer, James Campbell and John M. Broomall. Later the bank business was located at No. 408 Market street, and in 1890 it moved to its present fine building at Fifth and Market streets. The report rendered to the government June 4, 1913, showed resources of $1,700,991.86, with deposits subject to check $1,090,300.19. The capital stock is $200,000; George M. Booth, president; T. Edward Clyde, cashier.

The Chester National Bank was chartered as a national batik March 1, 1884, beginning business April 1st following. The first president was Samuel A. Dyer, the first cashier Samuel H. Leeds, the first board of directors: J. Frank Black, Robert Wetherill, Hugh Shaw; Charles B. Houston, William Appleby, George B. Lindsay, Jonathan Pennell, H. B. Black and Samuel A. Dyer. The bank is located on West Third street, near Market Square, in a handsome granite building erected in 1873 by Samuel A. Dyer and William Appleby for a private banking office, to which they made large additions and improvements. In 1875 William Appleby retired, Mr. Dyer continuing the business until its incorporation as the Chester National Bank, In 1899, the corporation erected their present substantial bank building. The statement furnished the government June 4, 1913, showed total resources of $19,334,404.83; deposits subject to check, $787,429.23. The capital stock of (lie batik is $300,000; J. Frank Black, president; Samuel H. Seeds, cashier.

The latest addition to the national banks of Chester, is the Pennsylvania National Bank, organized in March, 1903, with $100,000 capital stock, John D. Goff, the first president; A. V. Lees, cashier. The present officers are: John J. Buckley, president; Edward C. Burton, vice-president; D. E. Casey, cashier. At the close of business, June 4, 1913, the report showed total resources $719,653.83, with deposits subject to check, $442,157.20.

The Delaware county Trust, Safe Deposit and Title Insurance Company was organized July 2, 1885; capital stock, $250,000; Judge Isaac Johnson, the first president, The company occupies the Old Clayton building, Market Square. A condensed report May 3, 1913, shows resources in the bank department to be $2,537,884.21; deposits, $2,089,421.82. The trust department shows trust funds invested to be $1,866,751.50; uninvested, $34,715.71; corporate trusts $2,698,000. The present officials are: James A. G. Campbell, president; John C. Hinkson, vice-president; R. E. Jefferis, secretary and treasurer.

The Cambridge Trust Company, located at Fifth and Market streets, on the site of the old Cambridge Hotel, was organized in November, 1901; capital stock $250,000. Their report of May 1, 1913, shows in the banking department resources of $1,891,333.20; deposits, $1,515,339.50; trust funds invested, $1,158,036.05; uninvested, $8,634.47; corporate trusts, $1,770,100. The officers are: Garnett Pendleton, president; W. A. Dyer, treasurer, and others.

The foregoing banks and trust companies form the Chester Clearing House Association, J. H. Roop, president.

The City Hall at Chester bears eloquent witness to the great age. of that city. It was erected long before the foundations were laid for Independence Hall in Philadelphia, its history being concisely given in the inscription upon a bronze tablet placed on the front of the building by Delaware County Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. The following is the inscription: "This building was erected in 1724, during, the reign of George I. of England. Jt was the court house of Chester county, 1724-1786; the court house of Delaware county, 1789-1851; hall of Chester borough, 1851-1866; ball of Chester city, since 1866. In 1739 England declared war against Spain, and soldiers were here enlisted for an expedition to Cuba, Here Anthony Wayne rallied and drilled his troops, January, 1776. In 1824 Lafayette, as guest of the nation, was entertained in this building.

Some Old Historic Houses.- The Logan house was built by Jasper Yeates jfl 1700, and formerly a stone on which was cut the initials "J. & C. Y." with the date 1700, was set in one of the gables. These initials stood for the names of the owners, Jasper and Catherine Yeates, natives of Yorkshire, England, she the daughter of James Sandelands, the elder. He was appointed by Penn one of the four first burgesses of Chester; was one of the justices of the county, afterwards a justice of the Supreme court of the province; a member of the Provincial Council and of the General Assembly. The house was two stories in height, with a tentlike roof forming within an attic with steep sides. A wide doorway gave admission to the hail, while many small diamond shaped panes of glass set in lead gave light to the several apartments and caseinents at the head of the stair landing, furnished the same way to the main scotted hallway. All the rooms were wainscotted and the panels stained in imitation mahogany. Under the high wooden mantel pieces in the parlor and the room opposite, the fireplaces were lined with illuminated tile illustrating incidents of Bible history. The house descended to the widow of John Yeates, third son of Casper, who sold it to Joseph Parker. He was a native of Cumberland, England; at the age of twenty-five years came to Chester to be near his uncle, the noted Quaker minister, John Salkeld. Parker became register and recorder of Chester county and a justice of the peace. The house descended to Mary, daughter of Joseph Parker; she married Charles Norris, who died January 15, 1766. She then returned to the parental home, which she devised by her will to her only daughter, Deborah. Deborah lived in the house during her girlhood until her marriage to Dr. George Logan, September 6, 1781. She was a woman of high intelligence and literary attainment. Her remarkable store of historical information gave her the title of "The Female Historian of Colonial Times," She mingled freely with Revolutionary leaders; her cousin, Charles Thompson, the first secretary of the Continental Congress, was her intimate friend, and from him she gained much knowledge concerning the inner history of the times. For several years she worked early and late collating, deciphering and copying the manuscripts in her possession concerning the correspondence of William Penn and James Logan, her husband's grandfather. Her manuscripts made eleven large quarto volumes, forming two octavo volumes when published by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

The old Hoskins (Graham) house, aged over two centuries, was, built in 1688, on ground sold by John Simcock to John Hoskins in 1684. The house, a substantial one, was used by Hoskins as an inn- tWo stories with attic, its front extending to the sidewalk line, the old house stands a monument in brick to the quality of its builders, and a perfect illustration of the early colonial style. Evidences of the thousands of feet that ascended and descended the easy stairs at the end of the wide halt running through the centre, are seen on the ash steps, also wormeaten and discolored. Heavy beams supporting the upper floors stand out prominently from the ceilings, which are unusually high for that period. The floors are of hard wood, the boards of which it is laid being very wide, almost the width of the trees from which they were cut. The numerous rooms gave sleeping accommodations for many guests, while a wide porch in the rear enclosed in lattice work, served in the summer time as a dining room. The immense' fireplace in the kitchen, built on as an L, occupied almost the entire eastern end. Here they could scat themselves on benches provided at either end, and enjoy the warmth of the roaring fire of logs, the only way then employed to heat that part of the building. John Hoskins, the owner, came from Cheshire, England, in 1682, and was a member of the Geiieral Assembly of 1683. His son John was sheriff of Chester county for fifteen years, taking office in his twenty-third year. He inherited the old mansion, located at the southeast corner of Edgemont avenue and Graham street.

The old Porter house, built in 1721, ended its existence in the most tragic manner in 1882. During this century and a half it was the home of many distinguislied people. The house was a massively built stone structure, one of the best illustrations of the grandeur of colonial mansions that the city possessed. A slab in the western gable bore in engraved letters and figures this inscription: L.L.D. and G. 1721. David Lloyd, the first owner, lived sumptuously in the mansion he had caused to be erected, he being a man of means, one of the eight gentlemen who in the year 1721 are recorded as owning fourwheeled carriages drawn by two horses, He left a widow, Grace (Growden), who was attended faithfully by her friend Jane Fenn, a noted Friends' minister, until the latter married and became mistress of the building. On May 1, 1741, Grace Lloyd, conveyed most of her property to Joseph Hoskins, reserving two acres of ground, and "also the room in the southwest corner of the nlansion house, called the dining room the room on the northeast corner of said house called the parlor, with a closet and milk house adjoining, the chamber over the said dining room, the chamber over the said parlor, one-half of the garret, the front part of the cellar, the old kitchen and chamber over it, the chaise house, the use of the pump, cider mill and cider press, to make her own cider, and part of the garden with free liberty of ingress, egress and regress into and out of all and every the premises for the term of her natural life without impeachment of waste." Grace Lloyd died in 1760. Dying childless, Joseph Hoskins, one of the most useful of Chester's citizens, willed the mansion to his nepllew, John Hoskins, of Burlington, New Jersey, who in turn devised it to his son, Raper Hoskins. His widow Eleanor sold to Thomas Laycock, the estate next passing to Major William Anderson. His daughter, Evalina Anderson, married David Porter, an officer of the United States navy, who in 1843 died at Pera, near Constantinople. They were the parents of the five Porters famous in the annals of the navy and army of the United States. Of these sons, Admiral David D. Porter became the more conspicuous, his Civil War record being one of great efficiency. After the Porters ceased to use the old mansion as a residence, it had a succession of tenants until the gas works were located near it, when it was leased in 1862 to Prof. Jackson, of Philadelphia, who used it as a factory for the manufacture of fireworks. On Friday morning, February 17, 1882, fire attacked the old mansion, a dreadful explosion of the powder and chemicals stored in the building followed, killing in all eighteen persons and wounding fifty-seven others, the destruction of the building being one of the most appalling events in Chester's history.

Other old houses in Chester, worthy of mention are: The Huerline house, on the south side of Third street, built shortly after 1712; the old Lloyd house (Second and Edgemont avenue), built prior to 1703; the Barber house, in which it is said the wounds of Gen. Lafayette were dressed, after the battle of Brandywine; the Morgan (Terrill) house, built by Evan Morgan; the Caldwell mansion; the Ashbridge house; Lamokin Hall, built about 1708, by John Salkeld, Jr., the Thomas Barton house; the Sandelands House, built by Jonas Sandelands, prior to 1732.

Old Hotels of Chester.- The Boar's Head, at which William Penn spent the winter of 1682-83; the Black Bear Inn, at the corner of Third and Penn, later known as "The Ship in Distress;" the Blue Ball Inn, one of the buildings struck by cannon balls from the British war vessel in 1777-all were famous. Among others, the City Hotel, later the "Ship George Washington," later "The Eagle."

The Washington House was erected in 1745, by Audrey Bevan, who named it "Pennsylvania Arms." In 1772 the hotel was bought by William Kerlin, who after the British evacuated Philadelphia named it "The Washington House," a title it still retains. Washington, in passing from Mount Vernon, his home, to the seat of government in Philadelphia and New York, often stopped at this hotel, where the best room in the house was always at his disposal. The ancient mahogany chairs which stood in the room are still preserved by descendants of William Kerlin. The house is appropriately marked by a tablet, thus: "Delaware County Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, mark this house as the place where Washmgton wrote at midnight the only report of the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777. Here Washington also received the congratulations of the people of Chester upon ins election as the First President of the United States, April 20, 1789."

The Columbia House is said to have been the house in which the wounds of General Lafayette were dressed, after the battle of Brandywine, a distinction claimed for two other houses in Chester.

The Blue Anchor Tavern, also known as the "Hope Anchor" and "Swan," "the Steamboat Hotel;" "the Lafayette House," also a claimant for the honor of having sheltered the wounded Lafayette; Scllanlan's Tavern; the Goeltz House; the Brown Hotel-these are others.

The present city officials of Chester are: William Ward, Jr., mayor; James L. Kelly, controller; E. B. McClenachan, treasurer; Charles R. Mould, clerk; John Vance, chief of police; B. G. Ladomus, engineer; Robert Watson, commissioner of highways; Lincoln E. Slater, chief engineer of fire department. The city is uniformly Republican in politics, although from 1872 until 1881 and fronl 1884 until 1887, Dr. J. L. Forwood, a Democrat, served as mayor; also from 1893 until 1896, John B. Hinkson, a Democrat, was mayor; and in 1905-06, William H. Berry was elected on a fusion ticket, he being a leading Democrat.

The official newspapers of the city are the Chester Times, an afternoon daily, and the Morning Republican, a niornthg daily, both Republican in politics. Other newspapers publisiled in the city are the Delaware County Advocate, Republican, published every Saturday, by John Spencer; The Delaware County Democrat, published every Thursday, by Henry Frysinger; The Herald Ledger, Republican, published every Saturday, by the Ledger Publishing Company.

The city is divided into eleven wards, a representative from each forming a select council, two from each ward comprising a common council, the president of select council, 1913, is E. W. Jefferies, M. D., term expires in December, 1915; president of common council, William H. Powel, term expiring in December, 1913. The bonded debt of the city, April, 1913, was $1,201,000, amount in several sinking funds, same date, $207,871.31; assessed valuation in 1913, $19,183,402, producing an estimated income for the year, of $239,381.

POPULATION.
The population oi Delaware county in 1790 waS 9,483; in 1800, 12,809; in 1810, 14,734; in 1820, 14,811; in 1830, 17,361; in 1840, 19,791; in 1850, 26,640; in 1860, 30,597; in 1870, 34,403; in 1880, 56,102 in 1890, 74,683; in 1900, 94,762, and in 1910, the population in detail was as follows, according to the thirteenth United States census report:

Aldan borough,

661

Middletown township,

3806

Aston township,

2135

Millbourne borough,

322

Bethel township,

535

Morton borough,

1071

Birmingham township,

702

Nether Providence township,

1941

Chester City,

38,537...

Newtown township,

739

Chester township,

615

Norwood borough,

1668

Clifton Heights borough,

3155

Prospect Park borough,

1655

Collingdale borough,

1361

Ridley township,

2945

Colwyn borough,

1584

Ridley Park borough,

1761

Concord township,

1213

Rutledge borough,

523

Darby borough,

2412

Sharon Hill borough,

1401

Darby township,

1763

Springfield township,

1132

Eddystone borough,

1167

Swarthmore borough,

1899

Edgemont township,

525

Thornbury township,

1944

Glenolden borough,

1157

Tinicum township,

1135

Haverford township,

3989

Upland borough,

2221

Lansdowne borough,

4066

Upper Chichester township,

671

Lower Chichester township,

1250

Upper Darby township,

5385

Marcus Hook borough,

1573

Upper Providence township,

961

Marple township,

895

Yeadon borough,

882

Media borough,

3562

 

 


making a total of 117,906, of whom 105,949 are white, and 35,877 are voters.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Plac

e ]

.Blind Counter