History of Upper Providence Township, Pa.
From: A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Edited By: John W. Jordan, LL. D.
Published By Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York 1914


Upper Providence Township.— Lying between Ridley and Crum creeks, Upper Providence extends from Nether Providence to a north and south line dividing it from Edgemont. In the southern part of the township, the borough of Media, county seat of Delaware county, is situated, and in the extreme southern point is the village of Moylan. Near the Edgeinont line the village and post office of Upper Providence is located. Near the centre of the township are the grounds and club house of the Rose Tree Hunt Club. The taxables of the township in 1715 were; John Edge, Jacob Edge, Henry Miller, Sarah Powell, Thomas Williamson, Joseph Taylor, Peter Taylor, William Sinkler, Zachary Butcher, Joseph Carter, Thomas Jones, Jacob Chandler, Jacob Malin, Joshua Calvert, Daniel Calvert, John Cam, Job Harvey, Randal Malin, Randal Croxson.

Manufacturing has always been important in the township. It was in Upper Providence that the first building of the Delaware County Institute of Science was erected. While located there, the map of Deleware county, prepared by Dr. Joshua W. Ash, and the “History of Delaware County,” by Dr. George Smith, were published under the auspices of the Society. Here also the grounds of the Delaware County Agricultural Society were established in In September, 1813, a library company was formed, erecting a building at Bishop’s Mill. the upper story being used for literary purposes, the lower as an office by Amor Bishop. In May the company incorporated as the Union Library Company. The company had a successful career until 1867, when but four hundred of their fourteen hundred books remaining, they were sold by the sheriff to the Delaware County Institute of Science for the sum of $25. The population of the township in 1910 was 961. Providence road, which begins in Edgemont near the Chester county line at Edgemont post office, passes through the centre of both Upper and Nether Providence townships, leaving the latter at Waterville.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter