History of Upland Borough, Pa.
From: A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Edited By: John W. Jordan, LL. D.
Published By Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York 1914


Upland Borough. The first mills erected in the municipal district now known as the borough of Upland, were also the first mills erected in Pennsylvania; after the territory passed to the ownership of William Penn. It was in connection with the mills of Upland that John P. Crozer came into prominence, and it is within the limits of the borough that Crozer Theological Seminary is located, an institution established by the Crozer family in 1868, as a memorial to their father. Crozer Home for Incurables is also a monument to the generous humanity of the Crozers. Upland station, on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, is situated within the limits of the city of Chester, no steam railroad entering the borough limits. Two public schools of modern character are located in the borough, while both the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal denominations have houses of worship. The grist mills that have for so long been the life of the borough, are still a great source of prosperity. The borough is a favorite resident section, its proximity to Chester and Philadelphia rendering it a most desirable abode: It was created a borough May 24, 1869, being then a most prosperous village. In 1910 the population was 2221.

The oldest building in Pennsylvania is the Pusey House at Upland, yet preserved as a relic of the long ago, and in almost the same form as when built by Caleb Pusey, whose name is inseparably connected with Chester Mills, although long before his death he had parted with all his interests in the land and business. He died in February, 1726-27. He was a last maker by trade, and emigrated from England in 1682 with his wife Ann, settling at the present site of Upland. The old house bearing his name is on the north side of the mill race; is about thirty feet in length, fifteen feet in breadth, one story, with hipped roof. The thick walls are of stone and brick, while the floor is of broad solid oak planking. The brick part of the wall was evidently put there to take the place of stones which had fallen out. The bricks in the eastern gable it is said were placed there after Chester Mills had become the property of Samuel Shaw, who repaired the house. A low doorway gives admission to the room; the low ceilings and the heavy beams above still disclose the marks of the axe which hewed the timber into form more than two centuries ago. A stepladder enclosed in a rude gangway gives access to the garret. There is the old widemouthed fireplace (now enclosed) before whose hearth sat the sedate Penn with his trusted agent, Caleb Pusey, discussing the prospects of their business enterprises and forming plans for the future good of the colony.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter