History of Edgemont Township, Pa.
From: A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Edited By: John W. Jordan, LL. D.
Published By Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York 1914



Edgemont Township. - Bortering on Chester county, encircled north, east and south by Newtown, Upper Providence, Middletown and Thornbury townships, Edgemont is almost entirely an agricultural community. Although pos. sessing good water power on Ridley and Crum creeks, it was never developed to any extent. Good roads pass through the township, which possesses no large villages or boroughs. The population, according to the census of 1910, was 525. The post offices of the townships are Gradyville and Edgemont. “Edgemont Great Road,” the early name of the highway from Chester, crossing the township in a northwesterly direction, was laid out in 1687. There is a tradition that Henry Hollingsworth, the surveyor, caused an apple tree to bt planted at the end of every mile; being at odds with Richard Crosby, he planted no tree at the mile end opposite the latter’s farm. During the Revolution the township suffered repeated losses from the scouting parties of both armies, the losses as filed in a claim against the government, amounting to £504.

On Crum creek, where the West Chester road crosses, was the tract of 240 acres laid out to Samuel Bradshaw, April 10, 1682. Part of this estate is known as “Castle Rock,” because of the cluster of peculiar rocks, rising in confusion, boulder upon boulder, to the height of two hundred feet. This rocky formation, pierced through and through with fissures and caverns, is a remarkable natural curiosity.

Among the early landowners were Joseph and Mary Baker, whose descendants are numerous in Delaware and Chester counties. He represented Delaware county in the Provincia’ Assembly, and died in 1716. Philip Yarnall, with his brother Francis, came from Worcestershire, England, first settling in Springfield township, and for several years they were members of Darby Friends’ Meeting. Francis married Hannah Baker, of Edgemont, and pinchased 510 acres adjoining Edgemont line in Chester county. He was a inemher of the Provincial Assembly, and died in 1731. His son Mordecal was a noted preacher among Friends; Peter, a grandson, studied medicine, entered the army and sailed as surgeon’s mate on the privateer “Delaware” during the Revolution. He subsequently became a noted Quaker preacher. Philip YarnaIl married Dorothy Baker, in and purchased 480 acres in Edgemont, where he died in 1734, his wife in 1743, leaving ten children, founding the influential numerous Yarnall family. Ephraim Jackson came from England in 1687 and bought land south of Philip Yarnall. Robert Pennell, in 1691 and 1705, bought 500 acres north of Philip Yarnell. Other noted families of the township are the Lewis, Smedley, Eachus and Mendenhall.

Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter