History of Fairview Schools, Erie County,
From: History of Erie County, Pennsylvania
By: John Elmer Reed
Published ByHistorical Publishing Co., Topeka - Indianapolis 1925
Fairview Schools. - In tracing the history of the schools of Fairview we must go back to the time when the first
settlers cut their way through the tangled masses of forests. The first schoolhouse, or rather cabin, was located
on the property of William Sturgeon. It was used for two winters, taught first by John Hayes, then by Squire McCreary.
This was about the year 1810. in 1812 William Sturgeon erected a regular building on the present site of the former
home of Perry Sturgeon. This school was taught by Jacob Erickson and John Hayes. About 1825 another schoolhouse
was built where the cement works of Jacob Fitting now stands. This was a log building painted bright red. The first
teacher was Moses Johnson, who was chastised by the school board for going out at recess to play ball with the
boys. He said the school board would make no such rules for him and he resigned. He was followed by Mr. Jenness.
In 1844 two new frame buildings were completed and this one was abandoned. The first was built in the rear of where
the Presbyterian church now stands and the second was at the east end of the village, located on the present site
of the home of Lorenzo Newhouse. School was held in these until the Academy was built. Among the teachers of the
two schools were Roy McCoy, Ase McCoy, J. C. Sturdevant, Mr. McLaughlin, Minnie Sterrett, Elizabeth Eaton, and
Mrs. Jennie Warner Mills, The schools were well attended, as a record of Mr. Ase McCoy showed a roll call of 85
pupils in the first school. At that time he taught from 8:30 in the morning until dark.
Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]