Green township is particularly noted for its geometrical lines. How any set of men conceived such boundaries,
or surveyors cut such lines, is almost as mysterious as the time in which the topographical lines of this section
were platted by nature. Tionesta creek cuts across the northwest angle, and near the grand bend receives Coon and
little Coon creeks, both native streams. Bear creek and Nebraska creek flow from the southwest into the main river,
and Butler creek from the northwest. A few smaller streams also head here.
In the fall of 1877 Heath opened a coal bed, twenty feet below his house, at an elevation of 1,720 feet. Seven
years prior to this Guiton opened an 18 inch vein at Oak Woods summit, on the lumber company's upper tract; while
beyond this, on the Bond lot, another bed was worked.
The population in 1880 was 543. In November, 1888, there were 84 Republican, 81 Democratic and 17 Prohibitionist
votes recorded, or a total of 182, representing 910 inhabitants. The officers chosen in February, 1890, are; Judge,
J. McCullough; inspectors, C. F. Klinestiver, Irvin Allison; treasurer, Peter Youngk; road commissioner, A. B.
Walters; constable and collector, H. Winegard; auditor, Lyman Cook; overseer of poor, E. E. Vockroth; clerk, F.
E. Allison; school directors, George Blurock, Henry Siverling.
Dutch hill is the ridge or divide between the waters of Tionesta creek and the Allegheny river, about eight miles
in length and three in width, extending from Tionesta township through Green into Kingsley township. It is settled
exclusively by Germans. It was a dry, barren ridge, and at an early day it was burned over every spring. The original
timber was all destroyed by fires; the soil was very thin, and much of it very stony. There are some very good
farms on the ridge there. They have quarried out the stones, and laid them up in fences. There are places where
there has been work enough done on one field to clear up a large farm in any other locality. There are about forty
resident families, and forty well cultivated farms. Three blacksmith shops represent the manufacturing industries,
two little church buildings the religious and two school buildings the educational interests.
Nebraska village is another old settlement in this township .... In 1868 George B. Walters refitted the old Nebraska
flouring mill.... June, 1886, McCain, Darrach and Dickey purchased a three fourths interest in the T. D. Collins
lands at Nebraska, where 50,000,000 feet of pine and other timber were reported standing.
The saw mills of Dingman & Dale were moved from Clarion county to Nebraska in July, 1889, where the firm own
350 acres of white oak. Near Oil City they have two mills and two 500 acre tracts, thus giving employment to from
sixty to seventy men.... John Reck, born in Ohio in 1816, settled on the Tionesta in 1848, and built a mill on
Little Coon creek. He died in 1887 .... T. J. Payne's saw mill, on a branch of Coon creek, two miles above Cobb's
mill, was burned in August, 1871, together with 1,200,000 feet of lumber .... The new Methodist Episcopal Church
house, at this point, was erected in 1890 by Contractor J. G. Carson.
Bowmanville was established in the summer of 1889, two miles south of Vowinckel depot, on Coon creek. The large
lumbering interests of W. W. and J. C. Bowman suggested a town at this point, as well as the productive farms around
it .... The Free Methodist Church of Newmansville was dedicated September 29, 1883. The house cost $676, and the
lot was donated by O. W. Proper.