TIONESTA TOWNSHIP - BOROUGH OF TIONESTA.
TIONESTA TOWNSHIP occupies the southwest corner of the county. The Allegheny river enters it below the
mouth of Sibbald run, flows southwest to the mouth of Little Tionesta creek, whence it flows west into Venango
county. Hunter's run and three unnamed creeks flow into it from the north. Above the county seat it receives Tubbs
run from the northwest; at the county seat, the waters of Tionesta creek enter it, and at the bend, comes in the
Little Tionesta, while Hemlock creek drains the southern sections. Several islands lend a peculiar charm to the
great river in its course through this county, while the hold plateaus and mountain peaks add to this charm a grand
picturesqueness. Of the high summits in the southern part, few rise 1,600 above tide level. They are capped with
conglomerate, and within them may be found large beds of the Upper Marshburg coal series, as opened on the Heath
lands long ago. In the vicinity of Tionesta borough the conglom and sandstone measure 200 feet in depth; while
below the river bed, ninety five feet of these rocks are found. West of the river the summit is 1,595 feet above
The hill in rear of Hunter's mill is 540 feet higher than the railroad track; the spring, on Dutch Hill road, 315
feet; summit of hill on Proper farm, 560 feet; at Kiser's, 595; at W. B. Heaths, 680, and Tubbs Run hill, on the
Cropp road, 610 feet above the railroad level at Tionesta, which is 1,058 feet above tide level. An unfathomable
pit, three and one half miles from the borough, on the Tylersburg road, was noticed by the Press in December, 1867.
Warm air issued from this pit, so as to keep the ground warm and green throughout the winter. Dr. Whitley, a resident
physician, undertook to clear the mouth of this opening; but the clay sides closed in. Near the town is a spring,
the water of which has a local fame. In years long ago a swamp stretched toward the river from the present central
hotel. The village spring was in rear of where this building stands today.
Hunter's island is one of the largest, if not the largest, in the upper waters of the Allegheny, that is to say
from Warren to Franklin. It was appropriated by Poland Hunter early in the present century as an island, and from
him descended by inheritance to his heirs. In those early days before the river rose so high as it does now, this
island was inhabited and cultivated, the rich alluviated land producing abundant crops. Poland Hunter appropriated
this one upon improvement and settlement, obtaining from the State a patent therefor. He resided on the same up
to a short time before his death in 1839, and was buried on the side hill opposite the island over which he had
exercised a careful supervision so many years. Of late years the upper end has moved away rapidly, leaving the
drive pipe of an oil well drilled in 1863-64, protruding out of the gravel, the soil being washed away; also leaving
bare some of the foundation stones of Poland Hunter's cabin, and part of the wall, of what was once a well, exposed.
At one time John Range, who owned the land where Tionesta now stands, had a suit with Hunter concerning the island,
claiming it was no island at all. To establish his side of the case, Hunter procured as a witness, the celebrated
chief, Cornplanter, who testified that he had passed through the back channel with a canoe. This decided the case
in favor of Hunter. It was the first land case ever tried in Venango county, between settlers, it is said. One
of the chainmen who helped to survey the shore tract for Range, then made an affidavit that it was at the time
of the first survey a part of the main land, just a little ditch being cut through, that he could jump at almost
any place. So both accounts make the back channel very narrow then. It is now owned by an oil company who purchased
it in 1862 or 1863, but used and occupied by George S. Hunter, a descendant of the original owner.
The population of the township in 1880 was 522, and of the borough, 469, or a total of 991. In November, 1888,
there were 104 Republican, fifty five Democratic and two Prohibitionist votes cast in the township, while ninety
six Republican, forty five Democratic and ten Prohibitionist votes were recorded in the borough, a total of 312,
representing 1,560 inhabitants.
The township dates its historic beginnings back to 1795-96, when the frontiers men of Westmoreland county pursued
a large band of warriors to a spot above the county seat, and there killed all save one. In the historical sketch
prepared by Samuel D. Irwin for the Centennial Fourth, many of the pioneers of this section find mention, while
in the reminiscences of Daniel Harrington, their lives and characters are word painted in the quaint phraseology
of that pioneer.
The officers of the township, elected in 1890, are as follows: Judge of elections, J. W. Tyrrel; inspectors of
elections, Frank Monday, James Carson; justices of the peace, J. C. Hooveler, J. W. Tyrrel, township treasurer,
Wm. Lawrence; constable, Daniel Black; collector of taxes, W. H. Wolf; school directors, B. F. Feitt, Frank Monday;
township clerk, Q. Jamieson; road commissioner, Wm. Hepler; township auditor, P. C. Blocher; overseer of the poor,
BOROUGH OF TIONESTA.
This borough, in latitude 41° 29' north, and longitude 3° west of Washington, may be called the ancient
saqualinget or place of council. The creek from which it is named has been called Squirrel creek and Wolf creek
at various times, while the steep hill at the mouth of Tubbs run was named Mount Ararat by the old surveyors. The
elevation of the main street is placed at 1,073 feet, and of School street at 1,120 feet above tide level, so that
the town above the flats is secure from high waters in the Allegheny or Tionesta creek. The ice flow and flood
of February 12, 1867, created much damage here, carrying away the trestle work on the Franklin & Warren Railroad,
and flooding several houses in the lower town;
G. S. Hunter's ferry at Tionesta became a celebrated institution in 186768, when, notwithstanding the ice flow,
regular trips were made.
The iron bridge completed in December; 1872, for Hunter, was carried away by ice and water January 17, 1873. The
affair resulted in suits being entered by Bell & Breckenridge, the contractors, against Hunter, and by him
against them. The matter was compromised by S. D. Irwin and Col. L. D. Rogers, representing Hunter, and the contractors'
lawyers in such a way that the rebuilding of the bridge was soon commenced, each party paying one half the costs
of rebuilding. In 1886 high water also damaged property, but on May 31 and June 1, 1889, when a large section of
the State suffered heavily from floods, Tionesta escaped with comparatively small loss.
The township and borough take their name from the Tionesta or Wolf creek, and the place was known as Goshgoskunk
in 1761, and as Saqualinget in 1797. Tionesta creek was made a public highway in 1825, and the act of June 15,
1847, relating to streams in Warren county, was extended to the Tionesta and tributaries in March, 1849.
In the Republican of November 13, 1889, appears a copy of the deed to Sholass Range, who subsequently deeded the
land to St. John Range, of Revolutionary fame, whose remains now rest in the upper cemetery of this place. It conveys
the land on which Tionesta now stands, and is likewise quite a curiosity. We give below the contents of the patent
which describes the land. " Mount Ararat" is the high bill at the mouth of Tubbs run, and " Squirrel
Creek" is Tionesta creek. "Saqualinget" was then the name of Tionesta, and means "place of
council," hence the name of Council run, which courses through the borough:
The Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. To all to whom these Presents shall come, Greeting:
KNOW YE that in consideration of the monies paid by Sholass Range into the Receiver General's Office of this Commonwealth
at the granting of the warrant hereinafter mentioned, there is granted by the said Commonwealth unto the said Sholass
Range a certain tract of land called "Saqualinget," situate on the east side of Allegheny River, including
the mouth of Squirell Creek, in the late purchase, Northumberland County. Beginning at a sugar tree standing on
the bank of the abovesaid river; thence by vacant land south twenty nine degrees east forty seven perches to a
white oak: thence by Mount Ararat south forty seven degrees, west one hundred and twenty five perches to a white
oak; south two degrees east two hundred and fifty nine perches to a white oak,and south one hundred and thirty
nine perches and six tenths to a white oak; thence by vacant land west thirty six perches and three tenths to a
white oak, and north sixty eight degrees west sixty perches to a white walnut tree at the mouth of Squirell Creek;
thence up the Allegheny River by the several courses thereof five hundred and eighty perches to the place of beginning.
Containing two hundred and fifty eight acres and allowance of six per cent. for roads, &c., with the appurtenances.
(Which said tract was surveyed in pursuance of a Lottery Warrant No. 511, granted to the said Sholass Range, dated
the 17th May, 1785). To have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land with the appurtenances, unto the said
Sholass Range and his heirs to the use of him the said Sholass Range his heirs and assigns forever, free and clear
of all restrictions and reservations as to mines, royalries, quit rents or otherwise, excepting and reserving only
the fifth part of all gold and silver ore for the use of this Commonwealth, to be delivered at the pit's mouth
clear of all charges. In witness whereof the Honorable Charles Biddle, Esquire, Vice President of the supreme executive
council, hath hereto set his hand and caused the State seal to be hereunto affixed in council the twenty first
day of February, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty six, and of the Commonwealth the
CHAS. BIDDLE, Vice Pres't.
Attest - JOHN ARMSTRONG, Sec'y.
The original documents in possession of Benjamin May, of Norristown, Penn., were loaned to Mr. Wenk for the purpose
When Squire Fleming came to Tionesta in 1826, he found three families here: The Ranges on the town site; Poland
Hunter, where George Hunter resided in 1874, and Noble, who lived over the creek on the William Hood lands of 1874.
The Squire and J. G. Dale built the house where J. Grove then resided. The Hilands family settled at the mouth
of the Tionesta in 1838 on lands now owned by William Lawrence, but they subsequently erected a sawmill at Braceville.
Within a decade the settlement grew into a village.
In 1844 a carpenter named McKinley arrived, and was soon engaged by residents to build new homes for them. Among
the buildings erected within the succeeding decade were Stowe's dwelling, 1844, now occupied by Dr. Siggins; Presbyterian
Church, 1858; Benj. Mays' house, burned before the war, built about 1848; a new house owned by John A. Proper occupied
the site; Huntington Mays' house, also built about 1848, has been remodeled and is occupied by his widow; Robert
McBride's old Tionesta House, built in 1850, was burned about eight years ago. (This stood at the mouth of Tionesta
creek). Selden Mays' house, at the north end of Main street, is occupied by E. L. Davis; The Holmes House was built
in 1846 for Maj. Hulings (in 1872 it was destroyed by fire; it stood on the east bank of the river, near the bridge);
J. G. Dale's house, on Council run, was built in 1844-45, and still forms part of the present dwelling.
During the twenty years succeeding 1852, comparatively few buildings were erected here. Even the fact of the county
seat being established at Tionesta failed to exert a beneficial influence on prospective house builders. Pending
the erection of a court house, a building for the use of the county offices was completed in April, 1867, by Col.
Thomas, and, when the present court house was finished two years later, the old building was rented by Halebroner
& Einstine for mercantile purposes. R. C. Stephenson, S. H. Haslet, L. Davis, J. B. Mechling, Sheriff Dale
and others, entered on the work of building dwellings in 1867; Proper's addition to the Tionesta House was erected,
and Taylor's brick yard established shortly after. George Hunter's store, on Water street, and J. W. Bowman's store,
near the depot, were the trading points, and Shriver, Sawyer & Co. had converted an old building into a planing
mill. In 1867-68 D. S. Knox's general store and insurance and real estate office were in operation; Chapman's photograph
gallery was opened over the postoffice; Mrs. Mary Orr opened millinery rooms in the court house; M. Rathbun offered
lots for sale near Haslet's corners; J. Y. Saul's harness shop, William Killmer's shoe shop, R. C. Stephenson's
blacksmith shop, and Prof. Saul's barber shop, all gave evidence of progress, while Conver's Press, "the only
paper of its kind published anywhere," held up the little village as a place worthy of admiration. In October.
1867, the Tionesta Savings Bank was opened; W. W. Mason, S. D. Irwin, J. B. Mechling and W. E. Lathy had established
their law offices here, and Dr. W. F. Hunter his physician's office.
There were also dogs here. Away back in August, 1868, when Col. Reisinger published The Bee, out of which grew
the Forest Republican, he hit, upon the novel idea of publishing a list of owners of dogs, together with the names
of the canines at the time resident in the borough, which we here reproduce. It will be observed that a number
of the then owners have lost none of their attachment for "man's unselfish friend," for they still keep
dogs: S. S. Hulings, 6-Dan, Drive, Major Snow, Sailor and Fannie; S. H. Haslet, 3-Waltz, Jowler and Jack; William
Hood, 3-Curley, Watch and Bob; J. N. Tietsworth, 3-Penny, Fido and Trim; Z. T. Shriver, 2-Fred and Spot; E. H.
Savage, 2-Gip and Leaf; Geo. S. Hunter, 1-Coaley; W. W. Mason, 1-Dick; J. D. Rulings, 1-Snip; D. Andrews, 1 -Snow;
P. D. Thomas, 1-Watch; D. Black, 1-Cuff; R. C. Stephenson, 1-Unknown; L. H. Davis; 1-Trip; Dr. Hunter, 1-Gip; J.
B. Agnew, 1-Cony; Samuel Riddle, 1-Muff; J. J. Fisher, 1-Prince; J. Philley, 1-Sport; Mrs. Noble, 1-Watch; J. Wenk.
I-Rover; H. Bloom, 1-Schnitz; J. W. H. Reisinger, 1-Dido; D. S. Knox, 1-You Know; J. T. Dimock, 1-Coaley; J. Alsbach,
1-Lady; W. P. Mercilliott, 1-Bet; John A. Dale, 1-Frank; J. G. Dale, 1-Watch; E. L. Davis, 1.-General; John Stroup,
1-Coaley; W. Roberts, 1-You Know; J. A. Proper, 1-Dick; A. Nellis, 1-Bounce; T. F. Simmons, 1-Gip; Wm. Strong,
1-Fan; James R. Orr, 1-Prince.
On July 4th of that year the corner-stone of the court-house was placed with great ceremony, S. D. Irwin reading
the memento. On the same day, and in connection with the dual celebration, a festival for the benefit of the proposed
Catholic Church building was given, the committee in charge being as follows:
North Pine Grove - A. McDonald, John Dotson, A. Bowstaff, Peter Heffran.
Clarington - J. J. Reynolds, Wm. Shields, Thos. Porter.
Cooksburg - F. A. McGee, Andrew Cook.
Jenks Township - Jas. Painter, Esq., Col. Gaul, I. T. Rose.
Snydersburg - Samuel Walley, Joseph Fogleboher, Joseph Snyder.
Clarion - S. S. Jones, J. T. Hindman, J. Patrick, G. W. Lathy, W. L. Corbett, B. J. Reid.
Irvineton - Mr. Christy, P. Masterson.
Shamburg - M. Furay.
Lickingville - C. Musselman, John G. Seigworth.
Tionesta - Geo. S. Hunter, Capt. Knox, Col. Thomas, Dr. Hunter, Capt. Thomas, Hon. S. S. Rulings, Col. Reisinger,
P. O. Caner, Daniel Black, John A. Dale, W. E. Lathy, J. B. Mechling, Samuel D. Irwin, W. W. Mason, S. H. Haslet.
Dr. Winans, D. Pearson, Thomas F. Simmons, J. G. Dale, John A, Proper, W. J. Taylor, James Albaugh, Wm. Lawrence,
Alex. Holeman, T. B. Maze, J. B. Agnew, A. H. Steele.
Stewart's Run - Patrick Donahan.
Fryburg - Patrick Graham, Ferdnand Deets, Geo. F. Copp.
Pithole City - John Dailey.
President - Michael Henry, C. D. Mabie.
Henry's Bend - James Henrihan.
Tidioute - Thomas Hunt.
Oil City - A. J. Christy, J. B. McAllister, Esq.
Tylersburg - Charles Leper, C. B. Webber, Wm. Wilkerson.
St. Mary's - Hon. E. C. Schultz, Dr. Blakely.
Franklin - Gen. A. B. McCalmont. Jeremiah Clancey, John Daley.
Kingsley - L. L. Hackett, Sebastian Hall, A. B. Root, Jas. Flynn, W. oby.
Hickory - Abraham Bean, H. H. Stowe, J. Siggins, T. D. Collins, John Woodford.
West Hickory and Harmony - Levi Hanna, Wm. T. Neill, Jos. McCaslin, John Carney.
Newtown Mills - Jos. Stewart, Rudolph Rudolph.
Among the advertisements in the Press at this time was one of W. H. Butler, which was headed, Blind Horses made
to See. This reads as follows: "Persons having blind horses will find it to their advantage to call on me,
for I have restored the sight, and can do it again. Persons living at a distance can obtain the ingredients with
full directions for $5, by calling on or address. ing W. H. Butler, Tionesta, Pa."
There were snakes in those days. Conver, in his inimitable style, printed the following locals in June, 1868: "
Constable Philley killed a rattlesnake a day or two ago that had so many rattles on he couldn't get them all off.
Mr. Stroup killed a black snaik on Tubbs run last Sunday. It measured five feet six inches in length."
The improvements of 1872-73 included Hinton's cottage (the first building near Shriver's trout pond), Mrs. Robb's
dwelling, P. D. Thomas' brick factory, J. S. Hood's dwelling (on Elm street), S. D. Irwin's. J. W. Stroup's building
(then the property of Sheriff Van Geisen) and J. Woodington's cottage. The old Brown House (where the first courts
of Forest county were held), on Elm and Helen streets, was remodeled for T. B. Cobb, and Jacob M. Kepler's building,
opposite, was erected; also the dwellings of William Hepler, Bill Harlan, Mrs. C. D. Mabie, William Smearbaugh's
tenement, the bank building (brick), Bonner & Agnew's frame block, opposite, G. W. Robinson's house, the Lawrence
House, Dr. Blaine's residence (opposite the Lawrence House), William Lawence's block, the Swaggart meat market,
John Beck's dwelling (opposite the brick church), Dan. Walter's dwelling (on the site of Judge Dale's former home),
additions to the homes of Charles Randall and William Roberts, Capt. Knox's steam mill, the Dithridge mill (beyond
Tionesta creek), the iron bridge over that creek, with the Tietsworth dwelling to the left, Samuel Haslet's dwelling
on the hill, Partridge's addition to his home, Eli Holeman's cottage and the new Hunter bridge over the Allegheny
In 1872 the old wigwam which stood in front of what is H. Foreman's dwelling, was torn down by Col. Thomas. In
1860-61 it was Watkins Brothers' grocery store. This was built by William Harlan for political purposes, was octagonal
in shape, and used by minstrel and other troops.
Municipal Matters. - The first election for Tionesta borough was held February 8, 1867. John A. Dale received 20
and S. S. Rulings 13 votes for burgess; S. H. Haslet 34, P. D. Thomas 33, Sol. Zints 18, Jack Shriver 27, L. H.
Davis 18, D. S. Knox 16 and T. W. Pearson 16 for councilmen; Geo. J. Filley 34 and W. J. Roberts 8 for assessor,
and the same vote for constable; D. S. Knox was elected high constable. S. D. Irwin and L. H. Davis, auditors;
John A. Dale and P. D. Thomas, overseers of poor; J. G. Dale and S. S. Hulings, assistant assessors, and E. L.
Davis, justice of the peace. The school directors elected were W. F. Hunter, Solomon Zents, J. G. Dale and J. Winans.
L. H. Davis and T. W. Pearson were also candidates. In 1868 J. Winans was chosen burgess; in 1869, D. S. Knox,
who was re-elected in 1870; H. H. May, in 1871, when D. S. Knox was elected justice; J. Winans, 1872; J. G. Dale,
1873-74; John Reck, 1875, when C. A. Randall was elected justice of the peace. The borough officers at.the beginning
of Centennial year were, burgess John Reck; councilmen, G. W. Robinson, S. A. Varner, A. B. Kelly, S. H. Haslet,
A. H. Partridge, H. O. Davis; justices of the peace, D. S. Knox, C. A. Randall; constable, H. Swaggart; school
directors, D. S. Knox, H. O. Davis, S. J. Wolcott, S. H. Haslet, A. B. Kelly, D. Clark.
John A. Dale was elected burgess in 1876, when D. S. Knox was elected justice; G. W. Robinson, 1877; W. R. Dunn,
1878, and J. N. Tietsworth, justice; N. S. Foreman, 1879-80, with D. S. Knox, justice; S. J. Wolcott, 1881; Geo.
Morgan, 1882; S. D. Irwin. 1883; R. B. Crawford, 1884, with D. S. Knox, justice; Eli Holeman, 1885; John Reck,
1886; H. O. Davis, 1887; D. S. Knox, 1888-89, and S. J. Setley elected justice in 1889. The officers for 1889 were:
Burgess, D. S. Knox; councilmen (North ward), R. M. Herman, H. M. Foreman, S. D. Irwin, (South ward) J. C. Scowden,
G. W. Robinson, J. F. Proper; justices of the peace, D. S. Knox, T. B. Cobb; constable and collector, S. S. Canfield;
school directors, G. W. Robinson, A. B. Kelly, E. L. Davis, D. S. Knox, D. W. Clark, J. T. Brennan. The officers
elected in February, 1890, are as follows: Burgess, J. B. Siggins; council, Patrick Joyce (three years), R. M.
Herman (two years), S. H. Haslet (three years), Eli Holeman (two years); high constable, H. H. Shoemaker; justices
of the peace, S. J. Setley, J. F. Proper; constable, S. S. Canfield; collector, S. S. Canfield; overseer of the
poor, J. T. Carson; school directors, G. W. Robinson, A. B. Kelly; auditor, Charles Davis; judge of elections,
R. B. Crawford; inspector of elections, J. R. Chadwick, J. J. Landers.
Banks. - The Tionesta Savings Bank was opened October 15, 1867, with John A. Dale, president; John A. Proper, vice
president, and A. H. Steele, cashier. This money institution ceased to exist, mainly owing to purchase of unproductive
lands and the issue of certificates.
May, Park & Co.'s Bank was established in June, 1873, with H. H. May, president, and A. B. Kelly, cashier.
The former died in 1882, and his interests are in the hands of his heirs, while the latter is still cashier, with
James Kelly, acting cashier. This banking house is firmly fixed in the estimation of the people of Forest county,
and is not unknown to the larger concerns in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia.
A local board of the National Saving and Loan Association of Rochester, N. Y., was organized in August, 1889, with
the following named officers: President, J. W. Morrow; vice president, Edward J. Fitzpatrick; secretary, C. M.
Arner; treasurer, Solomon Fitzgerald; attorney, S. D. Irwin.
Natural Gas. - In 1886 natural gas was introduced in Tionesta by a company over which D. W. Clark presided; with
E. L. Davis, secretary, and H. W. Tew, treasurer. In December there were three wells in operation on the 1,200
acre tract, six and one half miles from the borough. Look back ye citizens to the dim fish oil burner, the modest
tallow candle, and the primitive pine log. What changes has this Pennsylvania oil field wrought! Look back only
a few years to the age of the coal and wood stoves. It now pains like a toothache to even think of them. Gas, as
natural as the oil, now takes their places, and there is no hauling of the dusky diamonds or of the barbarous ash
and cinder. The house keeper today is rendered by this significant change as capable of being superbly grand in
the midst of her noble duty as the child of wealthy indolence who waits in idleness to receive her flatterers,
while the husband, good man, dreaming of hideous old days of. the coal scuttle and the wood pile seems happy for
Hotels. - The town is well supplied with hotels. In the pages devoted to pioneer history, many references are made
to the old time taverns where Mose McCallum and his kind got drinks at wholesale prices. The Holmes House, built
by McKinley for Major Hulings about 1846, was burned in 1872. The Tionesta House dates back over thirty years.
Mary J. (Thompson) McBride, who died in 1888, came to Tionesta in 1839, where her husband, Robert, built and opened
the Tionesta House in 1849-50, and conducted it until 1859. In 1876 Andrew Weller was proprietor, but on May 9,
1879, when fire wiped out the hotel, T. C. Jackson was lessee and Judge Proper owner of the building. The Lawrence
House, of which William Lawrence is owner may also be enumerated with the old first class hotels, and the Forest
House, opposite the county buildings, has a good reputation. In Centennial year S. A. Varner was proprietor, and
in 1884 T. C. Jackson.
The Central Hotel was established in the Bonner & Agnew Building in February, 1874, by W. A. Hilands. Leonard
Agnew was proprietor in 1876. James McKay erected the greater part of this large house, and here kept the postoffice,
but owing to the location being just one fourth mile from the depot, he moved it to the south end so as to be over
the constitutional quarter mile. In September, 1884, O. C. Brownell, of Sheffield, purchased the Central house,
and I. C. Jackson, the old proprietor, became host at the Forest House.
Manufactures. - The old saw mills of this vicinity are all noticed in the chapter devoted to pioneers and old settlers.
The large mills near the Tionesta bridge form today one of the leading manufacturing industries.... Over twenty
years ago Shriver & Sawyer's planing mill was an industry here, and in the fall of 1874 a barrel factory was
established; subsequently the buildings became the property of A. B. Kelly and now form a portion of G. W. Robinson's
saw and planing mill.... In 1875 the Dithridge mill was burned, a casualty common to the tract whereon it stood....
In 1884 the Cobb Stave mills were built opposite Tionesta, near the depot.... A carriage and wagon factory is carried
on here, which gives employment to a small number of the best mechanics.
Postmasters. - In 1853 S. H. Haslet was commissioned postmaster, and held the office until July, 1861, when Joseph
G. Dale succeeded him. Thomas Pearson came after Dale, then David Hays, William Neill, J. M. McKay, who served
three full terms, C. M. Abner, commissioned in 1883. In October, 1886, Mr. Haslet was reappointed, and held the
office until July, 1889, when D. S. Knox was commissioned.
Educational. - The first school house was erected in 1837 or 1839, and opened by Moss Fleming In June, 1884, the
contract for building the present brick school house was awarded to May & Osborne, of Franklin, for $7,800.
In January, 1885, their work Was completed and received by the directors. This building stands on the plateau above
the town, a most beautiful location.... The first teachers' institute of Forest county was held December 24, 1867,
under call of S. F. Rohrer, superintendent. The teachers present at the institute in December, 1868, were Messrs.
J. T. Porter, D. Hays and J. Sallade, Misses Lizzie Callahan, Clara and Winnie Hunter, Mary Harrington, Eva White,
Lizzie M. Kerr, E. J. Eakin, M. Pownell, Alice Weed, Clara Nickum, C. F. Wandell, Mary E. Mays, J. E. Copeland,
Stella Sutton, Rosie Rapp, F. Copeland, Alice Dimond, Flora Philley and Mesdames A. DeWoody and Law.
Churches. - The Methodist Church is contemporary with the Middleton settlement, although this pioneer did not call
his neighbors to worship for some years after, when meetings were held in the old Red House on Jamison Flats. In
1827 steps were taken to build a union house at Tionesta. On October 13, 1829, John and Anne Range deeded to George
Siggins, Jesse Dale, James Wollaston, Asa C. Brown, John Middleton, James Dustin, David Hunter, George Gates and
James Dawson, trustees of the Methodist society, one acre near Dr. Marvin Webster's grounds, being part of the
Saqualinget tract patented to Sholass Range February 2, 1786, and conveyed to John Range in 1806. This deed was
acknowledged September 2, 1830, before Alexander Holeman, a justice of the peace of Venango county, and recorded
May 11, 1843. The work of building the old frame house, which stood in the old burial ground, was at once commenced,
but not until 1835 was it completed. It was continued in use until February 19, 1871, when the present brick church
house was dedicated by Rev. S. S. Burton, the pastor; O. L. Mead, presiding elder, and other preachers. The house
stands on the old Methodist lot. Its total cost was $3.000, of which $700 were due at this date, and of this balance,
$568.25, were subscribed that day. There are 156 members enrolled, and 170 baptisms have been recorded since 1881.
The records of the Methodist Episcopal Church date back only to November 8, 1880, although the class organization
dates to 1829. The pastor in 1880 was Rev. J. B. Hill, who attended at Nebraska, Whig Hill, Beaver Valley, Hill's
school house and Red Brush. At this time the Hill school house class was set off in charge of Mr. Hicks. In January,
1881, Rev. J. F. Hill tendered his first quarterly report. J. Peate was presiding elder, and T. B. Cobb, secretary.
In 1882 Rev. J. P. Hicks was pastor, and Miles W. Tate, clerk. The parsonage was built in 1883. In December of
that year J. M. Bray was presiding elder, and in the fall of 1884 Rev. F. M. Small took the place of Mr. Hicks
as pastor, who was succeeded in 1887 by Rev. C. C. Ramberger. In February, 1888, Rev. Milton Smith presided over
Conference as elder, and, in July, P. M. Clark was elected recording steward. During this year the appointments
of Whig Hill and Balltown were transferred to the Fagundus circuit. Daniel Harrington, in his reminiscences, reports
the troubles of 1844 as follows:
In 1844 there occurred a little unpleasantness in the Methodist Church at Tionesta, out of which grew a lawsuit,
which was tried at Franklin under the administration of Judge Gaylord Church. A preacher named Luce, with two assistants,
was holding a protracted meeting. It was very cold weather, the snow deep, and the sleighing good. The house was
filled every night. Some young men went there to see and to be seen, and, of course, took their girls with them.
Mr. Luce was a man not calculated to make friends by his speaking. At the opening of his discourse, and before
he announced his text, he would tell the audience what he would do to any who should behave improperly. The young
men seemed to take these remarks as a sort of direct invitation to misbehave. Luce was a man of large proportions,
and very arbitrary. On the trial it was shown that every time there had been a disturbance in his meeting Luce
was the aggressor. At the wind up of the services on this particular occasion somebody put some drug on the hot
stove. Some thought it was assafoetida. while others thought it was brimstone. The crowd in the house immediately
began to bunt for fresh air. The escaping capacity of the door not being sufficient, many went out by the windows.
It was roll out, tumble out, any way to get out. The wicked said that the deacon of the church put the brimstone
on the stove in order to give the people a foretaste of what they might expect in the future. I never heard how
many converts were made at that meeting. Three or four young men were indicted for the disturbance, and gave bail
for their appearance at court. The ablest attorneys in the county were employed on both sides. One of the young
men indicted, named Tisdale, lived in the city of New York, and was.visiting some friends at Tionesta at the time
of the occurrence. He came all the way from New York to stand his trial. The case occupied the time of the court,
three days. The verdict of the jury was, not guilty, and that the prosecutor, Rev. Luce, and his assistant should
pay the costs. Whether the costs were ever paid or not I don't know. Preachers, as a general rule, are not flush
of money. Perhaps the congregation contributed to settle the bill. I felt sorry for Luce's assistant. He got into
trouble, like Poor Tray, by being found in bad company. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.
Mr. Lupe took the wrong way to convert the people to his doctrine.
The Methodist Episcopal Conference appointed the following preachers: W. H. Farout, Marienville; C. C. Rumberger,
Tionesta; C. R. Thompson, East Hickory.
The Presbyterian Church was organized December 10, 1853, the day after the present building was dedicated. In July,
1852, James Hilands surveyed a lot 50x100 feet, originally owned by G. G. Sickles, and donated by Margaret, Benjamin
and S. T. May that year. In the list of contributors to the building fund, H. Stowe & Co. are credited with
$700, B. H. and S. T. May $175 each, C. W. Holmes, $100, Adaline and Charlotte Holmes, $80 each. The meeting to
organize was presided over by Rev. Mr. Hampson, with William Bailey, secretary, and the name adopted was the New
School or Constitutional Presbyterian Church. Hamilton Stowe and James Hilands were chosen elders, and they, with
Herman Bloom, Benj May, William McKinley, S. T. May and M. K. Riddle formed the male section of membership, while
Margaret May, Helen S. May, Elizabeth May, Francis A. May, Mary A. Lamb, Mary McKinley, Lucy Selden, Mary Riddle
and Ann S. May were the female members. The pastors, who have preached here since the church was organized, are
named as follows: Rev. Berrege, November, 1854; Elliott preached four times prior to April, 1855; G. W. Hammer,
November, 1855, to March, 1858; R C Allison, February, 1861 to 1863; Andrew Virtue, 1869 to 1872; William Elliott,
January, 1875, to January, 1880; James Hickling, May, 1880, to May, 1888; J. V. McAninch, June 1, 1889. In 1857
the Misses Holmes presented a communion service; G. G. Butterfield, the present clerk, has filled that position
since 1879, and is now engaged in editing the old record book of this church. There have been 123 members enrolled
since December 10, 1853, of whom thirty eight remain on the roll. Mrs. Francis A May and Helen S. (May) Thomas
remain of the first members. The roll of Sunday school pupils contains about ninety names. Mr. A. B. Kelly has
served as superintendent since 1878.
The Free Methodist Church, established in this county some years ago, is still in active existence. The pastors
of the Free Methodist Church, appointed in September, 1889, are S. Sager, with William Richards, supply, Hickory,
and A. D. Gaines, Tionesta and Newmanville. The church house at Tionesta was built in 1880, and opened for worship
The Universalist Church was organized February 1, 1860, Rev. O. B. Clark being the first regular pastor, and Andrew
Fleming, clerk. The Universalists of Tionesta, however, built a house of worship in 1858-59. Rev. Mr. Stacy, of
Warren county, preached here at intervals prior to the latter date, and when the society was organized here it
was attached to the Stacy association. The members were Jacob and Margaret Shriver, John A. and Elizabeth Dale,
Andrew Fleming. J. G. Dale, James H. and Ella Dale, A. Pollock, Anna Shriver, Mary Hiner, R. E. Ashley, Eleanor
Hunter, Thara and Mary Savage, Moses Pierson, Matthew and Rhoda Elder, Ruth Fleming, William Pierson, Laura Walters,
Mary M. Walters, James Rulings, John Noble, Lafayette Patton, Nancy H., Ellen A. and H. W. Towner, Jacob Shriver.
Jr., Sarah and W. A. Ryner, Daniel Stroup, Anna D. and Lucy Purdy, Harriet Shriver, Moses Walters, James Solley,
Robert Hiner, Amaza Purdy, R. P. Rinet and A. J. Ryner; of the above named, twenty three are deceased. In 1875
J. T. Dale was elected clerk, and the record closes with a notice of adjournment to the first Monday in January,
1876. In 1868 the Universalists rented their building to the Catholic congregation, who refitted it and worshiped
there for two years. when the Free Methodists rented it. Next it was occupied as a district school house. This
building is about to be conveyed to the State Universalist Association by J. G. Dale, D. W. Clark and John T. Dale,
who have been trustees since 1876. Judge Galbraith is credited with being one of the first workers here, and Maj.
James Rulings was also connected with this church.
Services of the Catholic Church were held at William Taylor's house, January 25, 1868, and later in the Universalist
Church, which the congregation painted and refitted for services, Father Dunn being the missionary priest. The
subscription toward the church building, reported in May, 1868, show Daniel Black subscribing $150, Patrick Cline
and Patrick Russell $50 each, John Carney, James Albaugh, William Taylor, D. S. Knox, S. S. Rulings and T. F. Simmons
$25 each, S. H. Haslet, T. Dimmock, J. B. Agnew and David Kelly, $10 each. M. Ryan, C. Myers, J. A. Dale, J. A.
Proper, J. G. Philley, Mrs. Mary Nellis, Capt. J. B. Mechling, J. G. Dale, A. H. Steele, W. W. Mason and James
Canoll, $5 each, Mrs. Julia Flinn, Pierce McAvoy, Con. Luhen, Patrick G. Leason and Allan Taylor, smaller sums,
the total being $503. On July 4, a great festival yielded more money for this purpose; but the building project
was postponed, and not until July 20, 1886, was a building for Catholic worship dedicated. Bishop Mullen, with
Fathers Lavery, Dunn and De La Roque, performed the ceremony. This house was first erected at Pithole, where it
was used until that town collapsed, when it was taken down with care and rebuilt here.
The Lutheran Mount Zion Congregation have their church on German Hill, Rev. R. J. Graetz presiding.
Societies. - Tionesta Lodge, No. 369, I. O. O. F., was instituted June 21, 1850, with James Solley, N. G.; W. W.
Hulings, V. G.; Alex. Hilands, S.; H. H. May, A. S.; and W. W. May, T After installation James Gordon, D. P. Bailey,
W. Whitley, W. McKinley and T. O. Morgan were admitted by card from Venango Lodge, No. 255; J. M. Hilands, Charles
Holeman, A. B. Root, Joseph G. Dale and R. Gilmore were nominated for membership. On June 22, T. O. Morgan was
appointed secretary. In December, W. W. Hulings was chosen N. G. and Joseph G. Dale secretary with A. Purdy, J.
Gordon and J. N. Hilands, trustees. The deaths of W. G. Connelly and W. W. May were reported. In June, 1851, T.
O. Morgan was elected N. G., and J. A. Bowman. secretary, and in December James Gordon and James Solley were elected
to fill the respective offices. In June, 1852, J. A. Bowman was chosen N. G., and M. K. Riddle, secretary, but
in October the last named was succeeded by William M. Richardson. In February, 1853, R. McBride, S. T. May and
M. K. Riddle were appointed a building committee to act in connection with the committee of school district, and
in March Joseph G. Dale was elected N. G., and M. K. Riddle, secretary. In May they were re-elected; but S. H.
Haslet was acting secretary for a time until J. A. Bowman was appointed in August. In October M. K. Riddle was
elected N. G.; in December James Solly was chosen secretary, and in April, 1854, was N. G. with Joseph G. Dale,
secretary. In September S. H. Haslet succeeded Dale. A. B. Root was elected N. G. in April, 1855, with M. Milford
secretary, but, the latter failing to serve, S. H. Haslet filled the office until T. O. Morgan qualified in August,
1855. In September, 1855, S. H. Haslet was chosen N. G., and Joseph G. Dale, secretary, and they were re-elected
in March, 1856; but in June, following, M. K. Riddle took the former's place. In July a number of members were
suspended, and adjournments, owing to non attendance of officers, were common. In September another batch was suspended;
J. G. Dale was elected N. G. in October, with S. H. Haslet, secretary, and in December the question of selling
the hall and discontinuing work was presented. In January, 1857, a vote in favor of continuance was recorded; but
the lodge hall was ordered to be sold for $425. In March another lot of members was suspended, and on April 25
the committee on sale of hall reported their dealings with the school board, showing the bid of $300, payable in
annual installments of $75 with interest. Rules for refunding to members proceeds of sale were adopted, and on
May 16, 1857, the lodge closed unceremoniously, and, later, surrendered the charter and records.
Tionesta Lodge, No. 369, I. O. O. F. was instituted under restored charter and records September 20, 1872, with
seventeen members. J. G. Dale was appointed P. G., M. Ittel elected N. G., James Woodington, V. G.; W. R. Dunn,
secretary; S. H. Haslet assistant secretary; John A. Proper, treasurer; Daniel Harrington, warden; Samuel D. Irwin,
Con.; G. K. M. Crawford, S. S., and William Hood, G. Admissions were very numerous during the year, among which
was G. W. Sawyer, who holds the old records. In March, 1873, S. H Haslet was elected N. G., and J T. Dale, secretary.
The chair of N. G. has been filled since that time as follows: James Woodington, 1874; W. R. Dunn, 1874; J. T.
Dale, 1875; A. B. Kelly, 1875; G. W. Sawyer, 1876; C. A. Randall, 1876; T. J. Van Geisen; 1877; S. J. Setley, 1877;
W. Y. Siggins, 1878; J. E. Blaine, 1878; S. D. Irwin, 1879; J. T. Brennan, 1879; E. E. McCray, 1880; D. W. Clark,
1880; J. H. Fones, 1881; P. M. Clark, 1881; J. H. Dingman, 1882; J. D. Dawson, 1882; Q. Jamieson, 1883; Eli Holeman,
1883; R. Z. Gillespie, 1884; S. C. Johnson, 1884; J. P. Huling, 1885; R. L. Haslet, 1885; G. W. Kerr, 1886; C.
M. Shawkey, 1886; H. C. Whittekin, 1887; G. B. Armstrong, 1887; E. S. Hoyt, 1888; F. R. Lanson, 1889; G. W. Kemble,
1889; C. F. Thompson; 1890. The position of secretary has been held by the following named members since 1874:
A. B. Kelly, G. W. Sawyer, 1874; G. T. Latimer, C. A. Randall, 1875; S. H. Haslet, 1876; D. W. Clark, 1877; and
G. W. Sawyer, since 1878. J. H. Fones is now secretary. The property of the lodge is valued at about $7,000, and
the membership is placed at eighty.
Leonora Lodge, No. 198, Daughters of Rebekah was chartered February 25, 1889, with S. H. Haslet, N. G.; Mrs. T.
F. Ritchey, V. G.; G. W. Sawyer, Sec.; Mrs. S. D. Irwin, Asst. Sec., and Mrs. S. H. Haslet, Treas. On Mrs. Ritchey's
removal to Oil City, Mrs. J. G. Dale was appointed to fill her position in the lodge. Among the female members
at date of charter were the ladies named above, with Mesdames F. R. Lanson, G. F. Watson, I. W. Tomes, L. Agnew,
C. A. Randall and G. W. Sawyer. The male members were H. C. Whittekin, I. W. Jones, Q. Jamieson, G. W. Kimball,
F. R. Lanson, I. D. Swales, S. W. Haslet, R. L. Haslet, William Wood, John W. Wood, Charles F. Thompson, G. W.
Sawyer, I. G. Dale, Eli Holeman, G. B. Armstrong, I. D. Dawson, F. F. Ritchey, S. D. Irwin, L. Agnew, Charles Winter,
E. S. Hoyt, R. Z. Gillespie, A. M. Doutt. Solomon Fitzgerald, A. J. Gilfillan, E. L. De Woody, J. W. Dingman, G.
W. Caw, C. A. Randall and J. P. Willing.
Olive Lodge, No. 557, F. A. M. was constituted September 15, 1881, with the following members: Thomas F. Ritchey,
W. M.; Daniel W. Clark, S. W.; John T. Dale, ____ Archie B. Kelly, Sec.; Ephraim L. Davis, J. W., and Thomas J.
Payne. In December, 1881, D. W. Clark was elected W. M.; E. L. Davis, S. W.; A. B. Kelly, J. W., and Benjamin W.
May, Sec. The respective offices were filled in 1883 by the following named members: E. L. Davis, A. B. Kelly,
C. A. Randall and Thomas F. Ritchey; in 1884 by T. F. Ritchey, A. B. Kelly, C. A. Randall and E. L. Davis; in 1885
by C. A. Randall, H. C. Whittekin, J. T. Dale and T. F. Ritchey; H. C. Whittekin, W. A. Grove, T. J. Payne and
C. A. Randall; in 1887 by W. A. Grove, T. J. Payne, T. W. Corah, and H C Whittekin, and in 1888 by W. A. Grove,
C. A. Randall, C. F. Griffin, H. C. Whittekin. The officers elected in December, 1888, to serve during 1889 were
Thomas J. Payne. W. M.; Charles F. Griffin, S. W.; Frank S. Hunter, J. W.; T. B. Cobb, Sec., and W. A. Grove, Treas.
There are thirty four members now on the roll.
Post No. 147, G. A. R., was formally organized in August, 1868, with Col. J. W. H. Reisinger, commander, J. B.
Agnew, S. V. C., Capt. D. S. Knox, adjutant, and about thirty members. On January 17, 1869, J. B. Agnew was elected
commander; Sylvester Setley, adjutant; W. R. Dunn, S. V. C.; J. P. Siggins, J. V. C.; W. Clark, chaplain; D. W.
Clark, quartermaster; A. McCray, surgeon; C. McCray, sergeant major, and J. W. H. Reisinger, quartermaster sergeant.
This old post claimed about sixty members, when the charter was surrendered.
Capt. George Stowe Post, No. 274, G. A. R, was mustered in August 9, 1882, with the following named charter members:
*J. C. Pettigrew, *James Swales, T. J. Van Geisen, *Jonathan Albaugh, S. C. Johnson, John Matha, *Chris. Zuendel,
William Albaugh, Capt. D. S. Knox, *C. A. Hill, J. G. Root, J. H. Wentworth, G. S. Hindman, Nicholas Weyant, James
Hunter, James Johnson and W. P. Siggins of the Eighty third Regiment; A. H. Southworth, of the Eighty fifth; J.
J. Greenewalt and Dan. Black, Tenth Reserve Corps; *S. N. Flowers, A. H. Downing and *R. B. Crawford, Fourth Cavalry;
D. F. Sutton, Seventh New Jersey; *N. Thompson, One Hundred and Twenty first Pennsylvania; Samuel D. Irwin, Twelfth
Kansas Infantry; *Ab. Kenney, and *S. J. Setley, Fifty eighth Pennsylvania; J. W. Morrow, Fifth Pennsylvania Artillery;
C. W. Clark, Forty eighth Pennsylvania; *W. R. Small, One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania; G. W. Bovard, One Hundred
and Thirty seventh Pennsylvania; *George Carr, One Hundred and Thirteenth; Henry Rhodes, One Hundred and Fifth;
J. C. Heviler, One Hundred and Thirty ninth Pennsylvania; S. S. Canfield, One Hundredth New York Infantry; *J.
N. Tyrrell, One Hundred and Twenty first Pennsylvania; Jonas Shunk, Seventy sixth Pennsylvania, and H. W. Ledebur,
Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry. In September of this year there were enrolled, *J. J. Parsons, One Hundred and Fifth;
John H. White, One Hundred and Third; John Anderson and * J. S. Range, Eighty third Pennsylvania; Oliver Bierley,
Seventy fourth New York Infantry, and Robert Slagle, First Nebraska Cavalry. In February, 1883, and subsequently,
the names enrolled are John Blaussen, One Hundred and Fifth; Henry Foy and D. Saltzqua, One Hundred and Sixty ninth;
Leonard Agnew, One Hundred and Thirty fifth Pennsylvania; Peter C. Blocher, One Hundred and Second New York; Henry
Brace, One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania; David E. Erfley, One Hundred and Sixty eighth; Ira Burns, Eighty
third; Josiah Morehead, Sixty second; George Keefer and David Stakeley, One Hundred and Fifty fifth; S. C. Whitman,
Eighty fourth Pennsylvania; H. H. Hanna, Seventy fourth New York Infantry; J. B. Eden, Ninth Pennsylvania; I. N.
Shinip, Twenty first; Samuel Agnew and J. B. Agnew, Thirty ninth; John S. Wilson, One Hundred and Twenty first;
Jacob Lackey, One Hundred and Third; R. W. Stocklin* in Sheridan's charge, Fourth Cavalry; D. B. Emminger, Thirty
ninth Infantry; John A. Hart, Fifth Cavalry; John H. Berlin,* Eighty third Infantry; Alex. Mealy, One Hundred and
Fifty fifth; A. Wisner, Fourth Cavalry; Thomas Cooper, Two Hundred and Eleventh Infantry; D. Rustler, Eighty third;
W. A. Burns,* Eighty seventh; J. E. Staighton,* Fourteenth Cavalry; O. C. Brownell, Ninth New York Infantry; B.
F. Feitt, Seventy sixth Pennsylvania; F. J. Kiser, One Hundred and Thirty ninth; G. W. Huddleson, Eighty third;
Solomon Fitzgerald, Eleventh Pennsylvania Reserve Corps; J. R. Landis, One Hundred and Third; C. S. Smith,* Sixty
second; Daniel W. Clark, Eighty third; A. H. Weingard, Eighty second; George W. Robinson, One Hundred and Thirty
ninth; Moses Mealy, Eighty second; William E. Witherill, One Hundred and Fifty fourth New York Infantry; R. Ralle,
One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania; John Rhodes,; P. Copeland,; George Albaugh, Nineteenth United States Infantry;
Daniel Walters, Andrew McCray, W. Briggs. D. S. Knox was elected first commander, and he appointed T. J. Van Geisen,
adjutant. The latter was succeeded by Samuel D. Irvine in 1883, and the former by G. W. Bovard in January,1884.
A year later J. B. Agnew succeeded Bovard as commander. J. W. Morrow was elected in December, 1885, and D. S. Knox,
in December, 1886, who appointed J. W. Morrow, adjutant vice Irwin. Samuel D. Irwin was elected commander in December,
1887, and D. W. Clark was appointed adjutant, who served until August, 1888, when R. Ralle was appointed. Leonard
Agnew, commander in 1889, appointed S. J. Setley, adjutant.
* Wounded in battle.
Camp 28, Sons of Veterans, was organized in January, 1888, with C. M. Agnew, captain; John T. Carson, lieutenant;
John D. Swailes, second lieutenant; James Clark, Andrew Carr and F. W. Law, council; John N. Heath, chaplain; L.
J. Hopkins, sergeant; S. Q. Clark, quartermaster; C. K 3Iorgan, S. of G.; B. Fitzgerald, C. of G.; Roy Brownell,
C. G.; O. R. Bascom, C. S., and C. Bovard, P. G.
Forest Lodge, No. 184, A. O. U. W., was organized in 1881, but not until 1884 was the record of elections published.
The lodge was then presided over by Dr. W. C. Coburn, with J. E. Wenk, secretary; S. S. Canfield, foreman; G. C.
Brown, O.; J. R. Clark, receiver; G. W. Sawyer, F.; J. B. Eden, G.; W. Smearbaugh, I. W.; A. Carr, O. W.; M. B.
Cook and W. C. Coburn, physicians, and G. W. Bovard, representative. S. S. Canfield presided in 1885; H. C. Whittekin
in 1886; L. Fulton and L. Agnew, 1887; L. Fulton, 1888; C. M. Arner, 1889, when J. R. Clark succeeded J. E. Wenk
as recorder. C. M. Amer was elected P. M. W.; J. E. Wenk, M. W.; and J. K. Clark, recorder, in December, 1889.
The W. C. T. U. is a powerful organization in this county. The County Union is presided over by Mrs. Derickson,
with Mrs. W. J. Roberts, secretary. At the convention held at Marienville in August, 1888, the societies at Tionesta,
Gilfoyle, Greenwood, Hickory and Marienville were represented. Mrs. T. S. Roberts, born in Chautauqua county, N.
Y. in 1825, died October 28, 1889. She was a leading worker in the W. C. T. U.
The lodge of I. O. G. T. was organized at Tionesta in November, 1867, with W. E. Lathy, Clara Nickham, Mrs. C.
R. Taylor, Nellie May, Capt. K. Brett, Lou E. Winans, E. T. Simmons, Rev. E. T. McCreary, W. E. Clark, W. J. Roberts,
Lizzie Heath, Mrs. C. M. Heath, Ettie Winans and C. S. Miller, officials in order of rank. The I. O. G. T. hall
was dedicated December 30, 1868, for Lodge No. 477. This was in the old G. W. Bovard building, over his present
store, where the I. O. O. F. hall was also.
The Tionesta Cemetery Association was organized July 11, 1868. H. H. May was president; Joseph G. Dale, P. D. Thomas
and Jacob Wenk, trustees; Samuel D. Irwin, secretary, and D. S. Knox, treasurer. Rev. H. May established this cemetery
in 1843, where he was buried July 5, that year, on the acre which he donated.
Tionesta Temple of Honor was organized March 9, 1871, with W. R. Dunn, M. W. Tate, J. T. Dale, S. J. Wolcott, J.
Grove, W. Reck, W. Stroup, P. M. Clark and Alex. Henage holding the offices in order of rank.
The White Pines, the first regularly organized baseball club of Tionesta, was formed in April, 1872, with J. T.
Dale, president; E. M. Sutton, secretary; Jacob E. Weak, treasurer, and H. W. Roberts, captain of first nine.
The Tionesta Union Sunday school was organized in April, 1874, with M. W. Tate and W. R. Dunn, superintendents;
P. M. Clark, secretary; G. W. Robinson, treasurer; S. D. Irwin and Samuel Riddle, librarians.
Tionesta Council, No. 342, O. U. A. M., was organized with eighteen members in July, 1874. Dr. J. E. Blaine was
counselor, James Fones and H. Swaggart, recorders; G. W. Sawyer, F. S.; T. J. Van Goisen, T.; J. T, Dale, V. C.;
while S. Campbell, R. B. Crawford, L. J. Johnson and A, Cooper filled the minor offices,
Tionesta Grange was organized May 5, 1874, with J, M. Kepler, M,; P, D. Thomas, O.; S, D, Irwin. L,; P. O. Conver,
S.; J. A. Proper, T.; S. H. Haslet, steward; Dr, J. E, Blaine, A. S.; Jacob Hood, G. K,; M, W. Tate, Chap,; Mrs.
J. E. Blaine, Ceres; Mrs. Conver, Pomona. Mrs, S, D. Irwin, Flora, and Mrs. S. H, Haslet, stewardess. J, D. Agnew,
a charter member, aided in completing the constitution.
Sylvan Council of the Mutual Protection Association was organized at Tionesta in September, 1879, with Dr. J. E.
Blaine, A. B. Kelly, Mrs. A. E. Fones, Mrs, C. M. Heath, G. W. Dithridge, G. W. Bovard and wife, Mrs, E. J. Paup
and C. A. Randall, officers in order of rank
The Equitable Aid Union was organized in December, 1883, with fifty four members, of whom the following named were
elected officers: Chancellor, W. C. Coburn; advocate, S, C. Johnson; president, T. F. Ritchey; vice president,
Mrs, T. F. Ritchey; auxilliary, Mrs, W. C. Coburn; secretary, J. P. Ruling; treasurer, Eli Holeman; accountant,
J, H, Dingman; chaplain, Jennie Par tridge; warden, W. A. Eagles; sentinel, Miss Alice Holeman; watchman, J. H,
Dewees; conductor, Mrs. J. H. Dewees; assistant conductor, Mrs. Sallie Jackson; trustee. Eli Holeman; examining
physician, W, C. Coburn, M. D.
The P. O. S, of A., Camp Washington, No, 420, was organized March 28, 1889, with J. R. Chadwick, P. P.; E. L. Davis,
P.; J. C. Scowden, V. P.; H. H. Shoemaker, M. F. and C.; S. S. Canfield, conductor; A. M. Doutt, F. S.; T. B. Cobb,
R. S.; A. H. Dale, A. R. S.; J. F. Proper, T.; J. J. Landers. O. G.; Pritner Agnew, I. G.; John Hunter, R. L.,
and Frank Thomson, L. L.
Miscellaneous, - In 1865 the first destructive fire visited the village, and on December 10, 1872, the second fire
occurred, sweeping away the old Holmes House; in 1875 Dithridge's mill was burned; in 1877 his house near the mouth
of the Tionesta was destroyed by fire; on May 9, 1879, the Tionesta House went up in smoke; Jacob Kepler' s first
residence, opposite the court house, was burned in October, 1878; in January, 1879, Derickson's saw mill was reduced
to ashes; in November, 1884, the building owned by G. S. Hunter, just north of the depot was burned; Judge Proper's
building on Main street was burned February 3, 1888, and the dwellings of Daniel Walters and Judge Reck damaged.
D. W. Agnew was killed in April, 1888, in the Blue Narrows, opposite William Walter's house, where his team carried
him over the steep embankment, He was born in Jefferson county, Penn., March 2, 1850. He was one of a family of
twelve children, eight of whom - seven brothers and one sister - survive him. He came to Tionesta about eighteen
years before, where, in 1878. he married Sallie Craig,