THIS township is located in the southern portion of the county, and it was here on Drinkard Creek that Mason
and Dixon were stopped in running their line, at a point where the great Indian war path crosses it. It is one
of the largest townships in the county, and is bounded on the north by Center and Franklin, on the east by Whiteley
and Perry, on the south by West Virginia, and on the west by Gilmore and Jackson. The water shed in the northern
part sends its waters to nearly all points of the compass; by Pursley Creek and Smith's Run to the north, by the
Whiteley to the east, by Randolph's, Robert's, Shepherd's, Hoover's and Tom's runs to the south, and by the tributaries
of Wheeling Creek to the west. It is, however, substantially in the valley of Drunkard Creek which touches lightly
its southern border and receives the numerous tributaries. It has no villages, though Blacksville, a thriving little
town, is located just across the line in West Virginia, the northern tier of lots reaching into Pennsylvania. Nearly
a century ago James Dye built a flouring mill here, the remains of which are still visible, which was frequented
by the early settlers. Caleb Spragg, John McGee, Uriah Spragg, John Roberts, John Piles, Lences Jackson and John
Lantz are mentioned as the pioneer settlers in the township. The surface is broken, as is nearly every part of
the county, but is under a good state of cultivation, and the farms present an air of prosperity. The earliest
report of the schools gives this township nine with 352 pupils. The report of 1887 credits it twelve schools and
522 pupils, a marked increase. The directors for the current year are J. Morris, President; John King, Secretary;
Richard Thralls, Marion Minor, Thomas Hodge and Mathias Brant.
The early settlers had many hardships to endure and were accustomed to privations. Dr. Smith in his secular history
of this section gives the following amusing account of the furniture of a pioneer cabin:
"A single fork, placed with its lower end in a hole in the floor and the upper end fastened to the joist,
served for a bedstead, by placing a pole in the fork with one end through a crack, between the logs in the wall.
This front pole was crossed by a shorter one within the fork, with its outer end through another crack. From the
first pole through a crack between the' logs of the end of the house the boards were put on, which formed the bottom
of the bed. Sometimes other poles were pinned to the fork, a little distance above these, for the purpose of supporting
the front and foot of the bed, while the walls were the support of its back and its head. A few pegs around the
walls for a display of the coats of the women and hunting shirts of the men, and two small forks or buck's horns
to a joist for the rifle and shot pouch, completed the carpenter work."
"Their dress was partly Indian and partly that of civilized nations. The hunting shirt was universally worn.
This was a kind of loose frock, reaching half way down the thighs, with large sleeves, open before, and so wide
as to lap over a foot or more when belted. The cape was large, and sometimes handsomely fringed with a ravelled
piece of cloth of a different color from that of the hunting shirt itself."
The valley of Dunkard Creek was doubtless one of the most attractive and hence among the first tarrying places
for white men in Greene County. The ease with which the Monongahela River could, be reached was probably one of
its inviting features. In 1778 a considerable settlement had gathered in the neighborhood of where Blacksville
now is. A short distance below, on the Virginia side, the settlers had built Stattler's Fort—a place of refuge
in time of danger. In 1778 the Indians were known to be on the war path, and for greater security the settlers
went forth to their labor in bands, helping each other, and while some worked, others stood guard. One evening
after a good day's work they butchered some hogs, and set out with their precious burden for the fort, all unsuspicious
of any danger. But, doubtless attracted by the piercing squeals of the swine, a band of over one hundred Indians
were on the watch for them, ambushing the path which the pioneers would follow. Toilsomely moving on with their
burdens, they had approached within sight of the fort, and were doubtless thinking of the delicious pork steaks
they would enjoy for their suppers, when all of a sudden the forest was ablaze with the fire from the Indians'
guns. Several were killed by the first volley; but the survivors rallied and returned the fire, fighting their
way through to the fort, but leaving eighteen of their number dead, scattered along the path. So weakened were
they that it was some days before the survivors ventured forth to bury the dead, whom they found stripped, scalped
and shockingly mangled. This massacre occurred near the State line, on the Warrior Branch of the great Indian war
path, and it is supposed that this was a war party on its way home. The bones of Jacob Stattler, who was killed
and buried here, were washed out by the rains, and were reinterred not many years ago. Brice Worley, grandfather
of John I. Worley, of Wayne Township, settled on a tract of land a half mile below Blacksville in 1778. Brice Worley's
first born babe died in infancy, and there is a well preserved tradition that the brave mother stood a faithful
sentinel whilst the father nailed up a rude box, prepared the grave, and committed the darling baby to the earth.
The little mound is still well preserved. Brice Worley's house was stockaded and was known as Worley's Fort. Nathan
Worley, his brother, was killed by the Indians.