Middletown Township. - Ranking as one of the largest townships of Delaware county and located near the centre
of that county, Middletown has Ridley creek as its eastern and Chester creek for its western boundary. The land
records extend back to October, 1681, when John March had surveyed to him 300 acres, part of a purchase of iooo
acres made by him in England. It is not known that lie ever settled on this tract. Other surveys were made to actual
settlers, and in 1715 a list of taxables contains the names of: John Martin, George Grist, Caleb Harrison, Edward
Woodward, Daniel Cookson, Joseph jervis, William Pennell, Jacob Tregoe, John Edwards, George Smedley, Jacob Minshall,
Peter Tregue, senior, Thomas Barns, John Chauley, John Turner, Joseph Sharpless, Alexander Hunter, Moses Martin,
Robert Baker, Thomas Barnsley, Thomas Martin, junior, and Edward Laurence. Freemen :—Hans Hamilton, Peter Tregoe,
James Tregoc, George Martin, Francis Ferrel, Thomas Smith, William Chamberlain, Simon Barton.
Manufacturing began at an early day, this feature being treated elsewhere, as are schools and churches. The township
population, according to the census of 1910, was 3806. The Central Division of the Philadelphia, Wilmington &
Baltimore railroad crosses the township, maintaining stations at Elwyn, the Williamson School, Glen Riddle, Lenni
and Wawa. Near Lima the Delaware County Industrial Home is located, having been removed from Media in 1857, ground
for the site having been purchased from Abram Pennell. Near Elwyn station is located the Pennsylvania Training
School for Feeble Minded Children, and the Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades, both being state institutions
of highest merit. Following the course of Chester creek from Wawa to Knowlton Station is the line of the Philadelphia,
Wilmington & Baltimore railroad. Stations between these points are Lenni, Rockdale (in Aston) and Mt. Alverno.
West of Wawa, on the West Chester & Philadelphia railroad (Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore), is Darlington
station, the location of Darlington Dairies. Jesse Darlington over a century ago established the original dairy
at this point, beginning, with fifteen or twenty cows, which had increased at his death in 1842 to a herd of forty.
He was the first man to introduce on the Philadelphia market the packing of butter in ice to keep it firm and hard.
He met with much opposition, but finally won the market approval. His trade was with private families, neither
he nor his successor, his son jared, ever selling on the open market. At the death of Jared Darlington in 1862,
the dairy herd had increased to seventy. The business was continued by his sons, who greatly extended its scope,
maintaining on the original and adjoining farms hundreds of cows, and in their dairies using every modern improvement,
shipping their product to wealthy private families of New York, Washington, Philadelphia and other localities.
The Rockdale Herald, a weekly newspaper, was established at Glen Riddle in 1898, William E. Griffith, editor.