History of Towamencin, Pa.
From: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania A History
By: Clifton S. Hunsicker
Published By Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York & Chicago 1923


Towamencin - The township known as Towamencin is one of the central of the county. It is bounded on the northeast by Hatfield, south by Worcester, southeast by Gwynedd, southwest by Perklomen, and west by Lower Salford. It is three by four miles in size, and contains about six thousand acres. It is watered by the Skippack and Towam encin creeks. The last named has a good flow of water and produces excellent water power along its way through the township. The former is a branch of the latter, but furnishes no water power. On the banks of the Towamencin almost wholly within this township, there is water power for the two gristmills it propels. There are several smaller feeders to these main creeks. The main internal improvement in the township named in the early days was the construction of the Spring House and Sumneytown turnpike, finished in 1848. The township was organized in March, 1728, almost two hundred years ago. The records show that in 1734 there were thirty-two landowners, who were doubtless the original settlers. Nearly all had lived In Germantown for a while, but soon left for this township, where they could better carve out homes for themselves. The first land taken in the township was a grant of one thousand acres from Penn's commissloners of property to Benjamin Furley, June 8, 1703. Abraham Tennis and Jan. Lucken bought part of this land and became the second settlers. Jan. Lucken, just referred to, was from Holland. This family multiplied and became Immense landowners here.

Kulpsville is the only village within this township. It was always known as a purely agricultural section. It is near the center; its location is high and sightly. In 1856 a three-story brick building was erected here, and within its walls were shops, stores, offices, and secret society offices and hails. A Methodist church was built in 1862, and in 1883 a splendid public school building. This place was named for the Kulp family who settled here in 1776. Other chapters of this work will give the various church histories. In 1830 the township was given as having 144 houses, 175 families, 132 farms. In 1800 its population was 413; in 1880, 1,232; in 1920 it was given as 1,166.

In the historic writings of that ever correct writer, William J. Buck, he has this:

The battle of Germantown was fought on the morning of October 4, 1777, and resulted disastrously to the American cause, when Washington immediately returned with the main body of the army up the Skippack road, beyond the Perkiomen, in the vicinity of the present Schwenksville, where they remained until the afternoon of the 8th, when he arrived and established his camp nearly a mile northwest of Kulpsville, near the Lower Salford line. The officers wounded in the battle were brought to a farmhouse on the Forty-Foot road, about a mile and a quarter southwest of the Mennonite meeting-house. General Nash, who had been wounded in the thigh by a cannon-ball which had killed his horse, we know from an eye-witness, was carried up hither on a litter made of poles. Washington may have come here on purpose to attend the funeral on the following day, for which he issued his orders that he should be interred at ten o'clock, and that all officers whose circumstances will admit of it will attend and pay this respect to a brave man, who died in defense of his country.

Return to [Montgomery Cty.] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter