The original plot of Burgettstown was surveyed February 28, 1795, by Peter Kidd, surveyor for George Burgett.
Sebastian Burgett, the first settler there, built Burgett’s fort and grist mill about 1773, and this was an important
point in the early settlement of that section of the county. The original name of the town laid out in 1795 was
West Boston. named after Boston Burgett. The growth of the town was slow for many years, and until 1910 it was
a country village, the center of a substantial farming community. A postoffice was opened January 1. 1811. with
Thomas Miller as the first postmaster. The original section known as “Old Town,” was some distance from the railroad
station, established when the Panhandle railway was completed in 1865, at which time another postoffice was established
and conducted for many years. The intervening space between the two villages was gradually built until they formed
one town. A movement to incorporate into a borough was started as early as 1854, but was not successful until March
23, 1881, when a charter was granted by the court.
The present boom began about 1912 when the great mills of the Anierican Zinc & Chemical Company were built
on the Acheson farm, and Langeloth was founded about a mile and a half north of Burgettstown Mines were opened
at Atlasburg about this same time, and in a short time property values increased in Burgettstown. The town has
grown during the past twelve years until it now resembles the farming village of a quarter of a century ago very
There is now a joint high school of Burgettstown and Smith Township, with R. E. Knarr as principal, and nine teachers.
Howard J. Oviatt is principal of schools and under him are twelve teachers and 630 pupils. The assessed valuation
of real estate is $1,383,720, which is considered 70 per cent of the real value.
The First United Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1802, with Rev. William C. Brownlee as the first pastor.
The first church was enlarged in 1860 and the present church built in 1873 at a cost of $25,000. Rev. R. C. Sutton
is the present pastor.
The Second United Presbyterian Church was organized September 7, 1898, in the town hall, by Rev. D. W. Carson,
who served as pastor until 1911. In 1899 the present edifice was erected on Main Street. Since the death of Rev.
Carson there was no regular pastor for a number of years, the pulpit being filled by supplies. The present pastor
is Rev. M. M. Acheson.
Westminster Presbyterian Church was organized June 26, 1893, and a charter granted March 17, 1894. The present
church was erected and dedicated June 26, 1894. The following are the pastors: Harry Nesbit, J. Mont Travis, T.
A. Alexander, E. W. Byers, James Waite, Malcolm A. Matheson, Isaac K. Teal and J. R. Thome. The membership is 351.
The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1845 on the hill where the cemetery is now located, and in 1849 the
congregation was organized by Rev. Joel Stoneroad. This building was enlarged in 1860 and in 1873 the present church
was built in the town, the cost being $20,000. Rev. W. M. Hays is the pastor, and the membership is 515.
The Methodist Episcopal denomination erected a church in 1872 near the present school, but the congregation ceased
to exist in a few years.
The Colored Baptist congregation was organized in January, 1906, with Rev. S. L. Coleman as the first pastor.
Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic congregation was organized May 8, 1916, in the Pastime Hall at Slovan. Since
then services have been held in various places among which are Valek’s Hall, Erie Mine, Miners’ Hall, Francis Mine;
John Brown’s residence, Dinsmore; Company House, Langeloth; Company House, Atlasburg, and Miners’ Hall, Eldersville.
On December 8, 1918, the present church was erected on Main Street. Missions are maintained at. Atlasburg, Langeloth
and Francis Mine. Rev. William J. McCashin, the present rector, has had charge since the organization.