This is one of the towns in Washington County which came into existence with the completion of the National
Pike. About 1800 John Purviance started a tavern at the site of the present town. and when the pike was projected
in 1817 he laid out a town, which was named Claysville in honor of Henry Clay. "the father of the National
Road." It grew rapidly during the early years of the pike and was incorporated into a borough April 2, 1832.
Samuel Sherr built the first house after the town was laid out, and George Wilson opened a general store which
did a thriving business during the construction period of the pike. On June 11, 1921, James Sargent opened the
Black Horse Tavern. There were many hotels in the town at various times during the palmy days of the pike from
1820 until travel closed on the road with the completion of the Hempfield railroad through there in the '50s. This
town has always been and still is the center of a farming community.
The people of the new town subscribed $255.50 for the erection of a new schoolhouse in 1818. At present it has
a high and grade school with W. H. Church as the principal. There are five teachers in the high and seven in the
grade. The assessed valuation is $496,905. There are 363 pupils in the schools.
During the Civil war this town was known throughout the county as "Little Richmond," on account of its
strong democratic sentiments. It is said that at that time there was only one republican in the town.
The United Presbyterian Church was organized April 2, 1811, as the South Buffalo United Presbyterian Church, located
three miles southeast of Claysville until 1883, when it was moved to the town and the present church erected. The
first pastor was Rev. David French, from 1811 to 1852. The present pastor is Rev. H. L. Henderson, who has served
The Presbyterian Church was organized September 20, 1820, when a frame church was built. This was used until 1830,
when a brick church was built, remaining until 1904, when it was replaced by the present edifice at a cost of $25,000.
Rev. Frank Fish, D. D., now of Fredericktown. was long the pastor of this congregation. The present pastor is Rev
Clarence E. Houk. The membership is 278.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1830, when a small brick church was erected. This was replaced
in 1858, and in 1908 the present edifice was erected, at a cost of $12,000.
The Baptist Church was organized at Buffalo village in 1861, and moved to Claysville, August 23, 1886.
The First Church of Christ, or Christian congregation, was organized January 11, 1909, and the building erected
about 1890 by the United Brethren congregation, was purchased for $2,500, this organization having disbanded June
27. 1907. John Mulladay, the first pastor, served from November 1, 1907, to September 4, 1910. Rev. Lee M. Moore,
the present pastor, has had charge since December 1, 1923.