History of North Charleroi, Pa.
From: A History of Washington County, Pennsylvania
By: Earle R. Forrest
Published By The S. J. Clark Publishing Company, Chicago 1926
This borough. originally known as Lock No. 4 from the lock of that number in the Monongahela River at this point,
dates back to 1880, when a station called West Monessen was established on the Pittsburgh. Virginia and Charleston
Railroad at this point to accommodate a village of eleven houses, a store and postoffice and a telegraph office.
The plan of lots was laid out first in 1885 by John Conrad and later by others. The growth of the town started
about 1890 when the industrial development of Charleroi began. The place is still known by its original name of
Lock No. 4, from the postoffice. but the town was incorporated as the borough of North Charleroi on May 14, 1894.
Return to [ Washington County ] [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]