History of Loyalhannah Township, Westmoreland County, Pa.
From: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
By: John N. Boucher
Published By: The Lewis Publishing Company
New York, Chicago, 1906


LOYALHANNA TOWNSHIP.

An attempt was made in 1831, as appears from our court records to form Loyalhanna township out of parts of Salem, Derry, and Washington townships. As a result of this and other applications which followed it, the township was organized bye our courts in 1833. It received its name from the well known historic stream which flows through its central part. It is bounded on the north by the Conemaugh river; on the east by Derry township; cn the south and southwest by Salem township, and on the northwest by Bell township. It is watered by the Loyalhanna and a few minor streams which flow into it.

Among the early settlers in Loyalhanna township were the Georges, Hensels, Robinsons, Kerrs, McBrides, Adairs, and Stewarts. Of those who have figured prominently in the history of the township and vicinity are the names Kirkpatrick, Campbell, Sterritt, Bowman, Johnson, Semon and others. Almost the entire township is underlaid with coal, and its surface is well adapted to agriculture. It has, of course, but little early history that may be properly told here, for it was in the pioneer days united with Salem, Derry and Washington townships, and its earlier history has therefore been gone over in the description of these townships.

The Northwestern Pennsylvania Railroad runs along its northern boundary. Though small in area, it is filled with enterprising citizens who are noted for their thrift, industry, intelligence and morality. It has four schools, and 124 pupils enrolled.


Return to [ PA History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


--
All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy