History of St. Clair Township, Westmoreland
From: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
By: John N. Boucher
Published By: The Lewis Publishing Company
New York, Chicago, 1906
ST. CLAIR TOWNSHIP.
The territory now comprising St. Clair township was originally a part of Fairfield township. and was separted from it in 1856. It was named in honor of the patron saint of Westmoreland county, Major General Arthur St. Clair. It is bounded on the north by Indiana county, on the east by Laurel Hill; on the south by Fairfield township, and on the west by the Conemaugh river. In territory it is the smallest township in the county. Its surface is generally hilly. The central part of the township is farther removed from the mountains and consequently is reasonably productive. The main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad passes along the bank of the Conemaugh river and through this township, and has built on it the towns of New Florence and Nineveh. It has four schools, and 138 pupils enrolled.
New Florence borough was incorporated on the 27th of May, 1865, upon a petition of its leading citizens. It
is located on the Conemaugh river and the Pennsylvania Railroad. It was laid out, we believe, by Judge Robert Given,
formerly an associate judge of Westmoreland county. It is pleasantly located and has recently constructed a complete
system of waterworks which conveys from the mountains near by an abundance of pure mountain water.