Town 11 north, range 3 west, is the town of Calamus. It is bounded on the west by Columbia county, on the south
by Elba, on the east by Lowell and Beaver Dam, and on the
north by Westford towns.
Calamus creek, a very crooked stream, runs diagonally and in a zigzag fashion across the town from the northwest
to the southeast. On sections 8, 5, 4 and 9, that is in the corner formed by these sections, is Lost creek, a small
body of water. The soil is good and produces fine crops. The Welsh nationality probably predominates in this town,
although other nationalities are found here. The Welshman is a quiet, hard working and thrifty individual, and
in this town these people have two churches, in which at times services are held in the native language. There
are other churches and good schools.
There are no villages in the town of Calamus and it is difficult to determine who was the first settler here. It
is known that William W. Evans settled on a farm of eighty acres in section 23, in 1846. He sold this a year after
and bought another eighty on section 29, which was his home for a few months, when he sold that and bought another
one in section 3o. He was one of the pioneers of the town.
William W. Williams was here as early as 1845. He came from Liverpool, England, in the spring of that year, and
with his wife and son William settled in the town of Calamus, where he entered a farm of eighty acres on section
32, to which he received a government deed, signed by President Tyler, and to which he afterward added eighty acres
on section 33, making a farm of one hundred and sixty acres.
John Smith came to Calamus with his father in 1848, when they entered one hundred and thirty acres of land on section
31 and eighty acres in section 36, town of Courtland, Columbia county.
Henry S. Gilmore was in the town as early as 1848, coming with his father who bought a farm of eighty acres in
section 26. Here the father died in 1873. Mr. Gilmore became one of the prominent men of Calamus.
George W. Curtis, who had followed lumbering in the state of New York until 1849, immigrated that year to Dodge
county and settled on a farm of eighty acres in section 35, town of Calamus, where he took up the art of farming
and made a success of it.
Robert W. Roberts in the summer of 1849 left his native Wales and came to America. His hopes were in the west and
arriving in Dodge county, he settled on a farm of eighty acres in section 30, town of Calamus, which he improved
and increased in acreage.
Owen J. Thomas, a native of Angleshire, North Wales, came to America in o845 and arrived in Dodge county in 1850.
He chose the town of Calamus in which to locate, and in the fall of that year purchased a farm of eighty acres.
James Hall became a citizen of Dodge county in 1854, when he located on a farm of forty acres in section 12, town
of Calamus. From that on he made the place his home, improved its soil and added to its acreage.
Thomas H. Connell came to Wisconsin in 1855 and settled in the city of Beaver Dam, remaining there one year, when
he removed to the town of Calamus, which he made his home and became one of its useful citizens.
John B. Demarest, a native of New York, came to Dodge county in the fall of 1854 and spent the winter in Beaver
Dam. In the following spring he bought a farm of one hundred acres, in sections 11 and 12, town of Calamus.
Michael Kraus 'was born in Germany in 1803 and came to America in 1845. In the summer of 1855 he bought a farm
of eighty acres on sections and 12 in Calamus town. He improved it, raised a large family, and became a useful
and influential citizen.
Joseph Peters was a native of Bavaria. He came to the United States in 1847 and settled in Chicago, whence he immigrated
to Dodge county, locating on a farm in Calamus town.
Alexander D. Ross came from Scotland and in May, 1855, bought a farm of two hundred acres in section 14, town of
Calamus, which by honest toil and industry he brought to a high state of cultivation and made it one of the best
in the locality.