Lowell is one of the largest towns in the county, containing sixty four acres of land. It lies in town to, north,
range 14 east, and was settled at a very early date. It is irregular in shape, several of the southwest sections,
to one looking on the map, appearing to belong partially to the town of Shields.
Its northern boundary is the town of Beaver Dam, eastern that of Clyman, southern
the town of Shields and western, the towns of Portland and Elba. The Beaver Dam river takes an irregular course
and traverses the town from northwest to southeast, thence turning west it practically forms the diagonal boundary
line between its southern section and the town of Shields. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad cuts
across the southwest corner of the town and the Milwaukee, Sparta & Northwestern Railroad clips off a diagonal
piece of section 1 in the northeast corner of the town.
Originally the town of Lowell was heavily timbered but a great part of this has been cleared off and now the eye
beholds very fine farms with a high productive capacity. There is an area of 32,432 acres of land under cultivation.
It has its full share of churches and well conducted schoolhouses. There are two trading points, both of which
are considered of some little importance.
D. F. Eldred, a wagon maker and blacksmith, moved with his parents to Jefferson county, Wisconsin, in 1842. In
the fall of that year he came to Lowell and built a log house on section 22, this probably being the first house
in that portion of Lowell town. He married in Oak Grove, February 22, 1846, Sarah Deits. A short time after his
arrival here the parents of Mr. Eldred joined him. They were Holden and Polly (Tryon) Eldred. David and Patience
Diets, parents of Mrs. Eldred, settled at Oak Grove in 1845 and were among the first settlers there.
Probably one of the earliest settlers in this town was Samuel Reese from whom the village of Reeseville derives
its name. He came in 1845. However, J. W. Gibson arrived here with his parents in June, 1844, and settled on section
18. In 1855 Mr. Gibson married Rosetta Nickerson. In 1847 he was commissioned lieutenant of company C by Henry
Dodge, then territorial governor. His father, William Gibson, was born in England and came to the United States
in 1817. He married for his second wife, Julia Ann Rose, and moved to Lowell in 1843. By William Gibson's marriage
to Lydia A. Whiting, his first wife, there were ten children.
J. M. Green was born in Lowell township, March 23, 1845. His father, William H. Green, was a native of Hampton
county, New Hampshire, who married in his native county, Eliza Grout. In the spring of 1844. they emigrated to
Watertown, thence to this township in the same fall. He died in 1876.
M. D. Benedict came to Lowell township in 1846 and located on a tract of land. His father, Lewis Benedict, a native
of Connecticut, came to Lowell township in 1846 and became one of the pioneer settlers.
William C. Hilliker became one of the leading citizens, as he was one of the pioneer settlers of Lowell township,
having arrived here in 1846. Here his wife died in 1847. For his second wife Mr. Hilliker married Lucretia Reese,
a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Reese, who settled in Lowell township in 1845. He died in 1875.
William Hyland settled in Lowell township in 1847, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1874. His
sons, William and James Hyland, were boys at the time of his coming and were brought up and remained citizens of
James Snow and his wife Lucia, of New Hampshire, came from their adopted state of Ohio toe Wisconsin in 1845, and
settled in Lowell town. Mr. Snow was a man identified with various interests of the county and was especially valued
for his integrity and goodness of heart. He died in 1872.
Peter Reinhard came from Germany in 1847 and settled in Lowell township, where he died in 1871. He spent nearly
his entire life as a farmer and during his life enjoyed that respect and confidence of his fellow citizens which
a man of probity alone can secure. He raised a family of boys, of which he could well be proud. Charles was born
in Prussia in the year 1838 and came with his parents, Peter and Julia, and settled in the town of Lowell. He married
Katie Shaffer, of Beaver Dam, in 1869. Peter, another son, was born on the Rhine in Germany in 1831 and came here
with his parents as did also Philip. These men not only became good farmers but merchants, and Philip for years
was postmaster at Lowell and Christian was postmaster at Reeseville.
John Runkle emigrated from Germany in 1847 and located in Lowell township with his parents, Jacob and Maria K.
Runkle. He occupied several positions of trust, among them being that of representative in the state legislature.
Jacob Runkle, with his wife Maria settled in Lowell township in 1847. Their children were: Philip, a grain merchant
in Reeseville; John, a merchant at Lowell; Lewis, a merchant at Lowell; Kate, who married Fred Voedisch, a manufacturer
at Lowell; George, a farmer in Lowell town: Frederick, a dealer in agricultural implements in Lowell. Mr. Runkle
lived on a farm which he bought and improved to a high state.
F. W. Maechler, a native of Prussia, emigated with his parents to Clyman town in 1847. From there he went to Lowell
town in 1856, where in 1873 he married Carrie C. Tenney. His father was Martin Maechler, who also settled in Lowell
town in 1856.
Patrick Keavany arrived in the city of New York from Ireland in 1849 and after living a few years there he came
west in the spring of 1855, locating at Reeseville, where Mr. Keavany engaged in business.
John C. Miller was a native of Germany. In 1856 he emigrated with his father to Wisconsin and settled in Lowell
township. He married Sophia Runkle.
M. F. Pease was born in the state of New York. In 1837 he came to Lowell and engaged in milling. His mill was three
stories high, with four run of burrs and had a capacity of one hundred barrels of flour per day, which was widely
known for its superiority.
August F. Schoenwetter came to the United States from Germany with his parents in 1856, the family locating in
Lowell. He married Louisa Huebner, daughter of Christian and Wilbelmina Huebner, pioneer settlers of Clyman
"Deacon" johns Corvith was a native of the state of New York. In the spring of 1845 he came to Lowell
and bought two hundred and forty acres and filially settled thereon. He was among the first settlers here and remained
until the spring of 1836, when he removed to Cayman. After staying here four or five years he then went to Oak
Grove and settled on three hundred acres of land, where he maintained one of the finest farms in the county.
D. C. Terry, a native of New York, settled in Lowell town in 1851 and soon became one of the heaviest taxpayers
in the township.
James Waddell emigrated with his first wife from Scotland to this county in 1848 and settled in the autumn of that
year on section 7, in Lowell township. where they resided the remainder of their lives
Joseph Wolf was one of the sturdy German subjects who came to this country and became a citizen in a free land.
He settled in the town of Lowell in 1835.
Stephen Woodward came from New York to Dodge county in 1847. He remained but a short time, however, before returning
to his native state. where he married Miss Eyeline Stewart, and returned to Lowell in 1855.
VILLAGE OF REESEVILLE
An important Station on the La Crosse Division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad is the village
of Reeseville. It was named after Samuel Reese, the first settler in the neighborhood, who located here in 1845.
On the completion of the railroad Adam Reese, a son of Samuel Reese, surveyed and platted a part of section 28,
and in honor of his father named the future village Reeseville. He was a good business man and the railroad company
made him its first station agent. He was also the first agent for the express company.
A Mr. Loesch bought the first lot and put up the first house in Reeseville. He was a shoemaker by trade, followed
his calling for, many years, and remained a citizen of the village during his active life. The firm of Marvin &
Finney were the pioneer merchants of the village. They put up a building in the spring of 1856 and stocked it with
a general line of merchandise. They subsequently sold the business to Adam Reese.
It seems that the founder of Reeseville was somewhat of a monopolist. He made no effort to encourage others to
locate in the place who had any commercial instincts or ambition, and consequently the town grew very little in
the first decade of its existence. Soon after the retirement from business of Mr. Reese, the town began to improve
and grow in population, and at the present time it is one of the flourishing little villages and trading points
of Dodge county. The present population is 352. About the year 1846 a building was erected for school purposes,
which was generously attended by the children of the vicinity. Another school building was built in 1869 at a cost
of $1,200. Since then this has been replaced by a more modern affair.
The adherents of the German Reformed church organized a society in the spring of 1876 and a building was erected
at a cost of $1,200. Rev. William Kuentzel was the pastor.
Reeseville has a newspaper, conducted by J. F. Hughes. There are also a creamery here, elevator and well stocked
The Peoples State Bank is capitalized at $20,000, and in its last report are shown deposits of $73,000. F. A. Eikelberg
is president; E. P. Runkle, vice president; D. O. Meyers, cashier.
The present officials of the village of Reeseville are: President, F. A. Eikelberg; clerk, H. J. Yauman; assessor,
Edward Liebig; treasurer, F. H. Dauffenbach.
Adam Reese, the founder of the village, was the first postmaster. His commission was dated April 22, 1857. He was
followed in the office by the following named persons: Philip Runkle, February 11, 1868; Ernest Swanitz, March
15; 1869; William H. Snow, January 20, 1873; Christian Reinhard, August 7, 1878; Phillip W. Kohn, August 3, 1885;
Peter Reinhard. July 1, 1889; Robert Moore, July 10, 1893; Otto A. Sell, July 14, 1897.
VILLAGE OF LOWELL
The first settlement in the village of Lowell was by Henry Finney in 1846. At that time he erected a grist mill
on the Beaver Dam river, and soon thereafter associated with him in business Clark Lawton and Sheldon Fox, the
firm name becoming Lawton, Finney & Van Kirk a short time thereafter. The property was destroyed by fire in
J. J. Williams settled here in 1849. At this time the town of Lowell was quite thickly settled for a new country.
The first corners were principally Americans, although there was a sprinkling of German and Irish. In 1849 there
were two merchants in the place - one by the name of Patton. A small hotel was kept by Charles Walker, who also
carried on a tailor shop. On the opposite side of the river was a grist mill, controlled by Finney & Lawton.
Soon after his arrival in the village, Mr. Williams became a general merchant and remained as such until 1865.
He finally took up his residence in Beaver Dam and spent the remainder of his life there.
Lowell has grown to be a place of 318 inhabitants, has its churches, good schools and fraternal bodies.
O. A. Sturner is president of Lowell; Conradin Jaecklen, clerk; Michael Bock, assessor; George Metzger, treasurer.
The Lowell postoffice was established in 1848, and on April 17th of that year, W. V. Smith was commissioned
postmaster. He was followed by Andrew B. Jones, May 9, 1849. Jones' successors in the office are named below, with
the dates of their commissions: John J. Williams, December 18, 1849; Richard Chatfield, December 27, 1853; Cornelius
Chatfield, March 17, 1857; John J. Williams, March 28, 1861; D. S. Bertie, September 2, 1863; Lewis Runkle, September
28, 1866; John Higgins, May 18, 1868; John W. Lambgen, March 15, 1869; Philip Reinhard, February 21, 1878; Joseph
Wolf, June 9, 1885; Emil Drews, December to, 1888; Philip Reinhard, October 9, 1889; William Tanck, June 29, 1893;
F. C. Weidman, July 14, 1897; Guy G. Ganes, June 20, 1901; Philip Reinhard, February 9, 1903; Henrietta P. Reinhard,
April 19, 1911.
Sr. JOSEPH'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, LOWELL
This congregation is attended as a mission from Watertown. The society was founded in 1870 by Rev. Henry O'Brien,
who ministered to the spiritual needs of the people until 1878, when he was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Dempsey, who
remained until 1879 and was then succeeded by J. B. McFarland, who remained from 1881 to 1893. His successor was
Rev. John P. Thillmann.