History of Cicero, Wisconsin
From: History of Outagamie County, Wilsonsin
Thomas H. Ryan - Editor in Chief
Goodspeed Historical Allociates, Publishers
Chicago 1911

Town of Cicero. - The first attempted settlement in this town, it is said, was when John T. Pierce, his son Silas and Lloyd G. Walker pre-empted lands along the Shioc river in section 30 about the middle of September, 1865. They built shanties, into which they moved about Christmas time, and intended making homestead entry as soon as their pre-emption rights expired. The following spring the lowlands along the Shioc were flooded; four feet of water stood above their cabin floors; fearing worse, they rafted their effects down river to Shioc. Some of their claims were transferred to Herman Eberhard, who, with E. C. Stannard, came in the summer. Eberhard settling west of the river and Stannard on the State road in southwest section 32, John Sorrell appeared not long afterward, Charles Briggs came about 1866, Harry Shepherd about a year later, lived on section 28. Wright, Peter and James Sherman came about a year or two later, William LeMerl lived in section 30, lot 5, which he homesteaded in 1868, Karl Bleek, with his family, came in the fall of that year to section 28. At this time there was no bridge across Black creek at the site of the village; settlers had to go around by the State road to get into Cicero, Stephen B. Salter, in September, 1870, took a homestead in northeast 30, Lorenzo Daniels came the same year to 29, later living in 19. C. Herman came next year to 29, and about December Elisha Baxter came to the same section. Gottlieb Giesberger lived in section 33 about 1870, Janies Bradley and John Rice in western 34, Anton Zulinger, Franz Klauer and Franz Schnabel in 32, came about the same time, Walch and Kuchenbecker were settlers in the early '70s, the latter in section 12. William Schroeder, Charles Wesson, Edward Jaeger and Charles Court lived in section 26 in 1871. In the same year Arthur McKee lived in section 32. Andreas Barth in 36, Ernst Neuft in northeast 33, William Ladds in northwest 32, John Larson in southwest 20, George Glaser on the county road in southwest 29; all were settled before April, 1871, About 1872 Christian Roepke lived in section L In 1873, John Machinsky settled in 28 and about the same time Fred and Christian Koehn in section 9, and John Burmeister, followed about a year later by Fred and Henry Burmeister, William Piehl and John Bubolz about that time settled in section 1, Ezra Buttles lived in southeast 36. Jacob Anderes, his sons Gottlieb and Fred, and his son-in-law, Peter Groff, lived in the school section about 1877-8,

Township 24, range 17 (now Cicero), composed the northern half of the town Black Creek at the organization of that town, At its January session, 1871, the county board of supervisors received a petition, praying a division of the town of Black Creek. The committee to whom the petition was referred reported: "In our opinion the town cannot be divided, The town issued bonds in aid of the Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railroad, which are still outstanding, The General Laws of 1870 expressly declare it shall not be lawful to strike from any town so issuing bonds any part of its territory while such bonds are unpaid." After accepting this report, a petition was signed by all the members of the board asking the Legislature to pass an act dividing the town, and such act was passed, the division being made possible by apportioning the bonded debt of $5,000 to the town of Cicero and $7,000 to the town of Black Creek.

At the first annual meeting of Cicero, held April 4, 1871, the following were elected: Stephen B. Salter, chairman; John Rice and William Schrader, supervisors; Harry Shepherd, town clerk; Charles Briggs, assessor; John Sorrell, treasurer; Reuben Goddard, Asa Price, Gottlieb Greisberger and Stephen B. Salter, justices of the peace; Charles Wnssow, William Bleek and G. A. Glaser, constables,

In June, 1871, three school districts were formed, No, 1 to include the twelve sections on the west side of town; No, 2 the twelve lying next east through the middle, and No. 3 to include the remaining twelve sections, That year a schoolhouse was built in district 1, in which Lucretia Brainerd taught the first school:. Houses were built and schools started in the other districts soon afterward.

Lawson & Webster were among the first having logging crews in Cicero in the '60s, Daniels of Oshkosh also run logs down the Shioc. The Brush boys cut logs along Load creek, where was the finest pine mixed with giant hardwood. Jim and Tom Gaynor of Fond du Lac lumbered in the northern part about 1870 to 1876. Some of their logs were landed on the Shioc and some on Herman Brook, Others who logged in Cicero were John Park, Hiram Grigg, Tom Shepherd and Nathan Dodge, Dodge took out cedar timber: Sewell Shepherd one season lumbered with Dodge,

The Evangelical Lutheran congregation in North Cicero was started by Rev, Wuebben during his pastorate at Seymour, A church was built and Rev. F. Proehl has since been the pastor, The Lutheran' Church of South Cicero is served by a minister from Black Creek,


Return to [ Wisconsin History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


Wisconsin Counties at this web site - Dodge - Door - Outagamie - Racine -

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy