Town of Maine. - The first settlers in the territory of Maine were David Stinson. his son in law, George Speers,
Paul Greeley and Mr. Whitmore, in 1854. They were from Chilton, "State of Maine," and came by 'boat up
Wolf river, landing just below where Andrew Allen now lives in section 9, on the Shawano road. Andrew Allen, who
was probably the next settler, came from Canada in 1862, locating in section 9. Thomas Jacobs came shortly after
Allen, and settled on the school section. Thomas W. Allen and Sylvester Boodry were probably next. Boodry, too,
came from Maine, and located in 16. Claud Hurlbert came from New York state three or four years after Andrew Allen,
settling in section 4. Ezra Ryder was in the same section, and an old Vermonter, Thomas Allen, settled in section
21. All these families had arrived before Matt. D. Leeman; in 1867.
In 1867, David H., Jerry, Jacob J. and G. D. Carpenter came in, David and Jerry to section 12, Jacob to 16. Moses
S. Curtis came in the fall, living at first in section 3, afterward in 11. Marcellus and James Spaulding came also
that year, lived in section 16, Charles S. Spaulding in section 4 the year preceding. Eben Pushor settled in 16
in 1867; D. W. Fuller arrived about the close of the war. H. S. and George Leeman came in 1866. A. H. Atwater,
in 1870, was the first settler west of Wolf river, in section 4; Elmer Strong next on No. 5; Richard Strong about
the same time; Diemal, Jersey and Ball came early in the '70s; Jim and Cal Sawyer about 1873. At this time there
was no bridge across the river. A flatboat was used as an accommodation ferry. No tolls were charged, as it was
a neighborhood boat provided for general use, every man being his own ferryman, though if help were needed "he
had only to holler" and someone would come to his assistance. A corduroy through the swamp and a wooden bridge
was built in the winter of 1881-2; which was used until 1888, when it was replaced by the present steel structure.
The town of Maine, more than any other in the county, has an English speaking population. Most of the earlier settlers
were American born, the exceptions being generally Canadians. In the later '70s and the first half of the eighth
decade a number of Scandinavian families, principally Norwegians, came in, among them Andrew Skogskrom and Andrew
Lind, who arrived about 1876, both settling in section 3. Nels Nelson three years later in the same section. John
and Martin Larson came about the same time. Ole Arenson, about 1880; Christian Olsen, Gust. Erickson and Alfred
Nelson, '80 or '81; William and Charley Dorn in 1881; Lars Johnson. Eric Jones and Nels Johnson. 1882.
The first schoolhouse was a log shanty in section 9, the next in section 16, "a shanty of boards nailed
to posts stuck in the ground." Both were on the old Shawano road, then the only thoroughfare. This road, said
to have been cut through by the Government for a military road before settlement began, afterward worked out by
the settlers, followed the course of Wolf river, and was for many years the route traversed by lumbermen and supply
teams going to logging camps in Shawano, and as it extended through to Lake Superior, it was early a thoroughfare
of great importance and heavy travel until the railroads were extended through its territory. David Stinson's cabin
was early made a stopping place by travelers along this road, as was Andrew Allen's, and in fact any of the settlers
who could furnish accommodations; but Stinson and Allen made special provision for the entertainment of travelers
and care of teams, the latter building a hotel in 1871 and continuing nearly forty years.
The first store was started by H. S. Leeman and Andrew Allen, and not long afterward another was opened by Fuller
and Greeley. M. D. Leeman's was the third mercantile venture, opening with a small stock in 1880 and continuing
to the present. A postoffice was established at Stinson and at Leeman's, the latter still in commission, though
the town has rural service from Shiocton. A rural route extending into Shawano county starts from Leeman postoffice.
The choicest timber along the Wolf had been logged and run down the river by the middle '60s, but for many years
logging was the greatest industry, and for the settlers almost the only source of revenue. Beach and Conley were
big lumbermen who operated very extensively in Maine. owning most of section 10, all of 11 and part of 12, besides
large areas of "stumpage" in other tracts. Buckstaff and Chase operated west of the Wolf river and put
in most of the timber on that side. Beach afterward cleared and operated a farm on three quarters of section 11.
The Town of Maine was created November, 1868, and the first annual town meeting ordered held at the schoolhouse
in District 1 in section 9 of the next town the following 441. At this town election eighteen votes were cast,
electing P. A. Greeley, chairman; A. Allen and It Spaulding, supervisors; James E. Spaulding, clerk; H. S. Leeman,
treasurer; William L. Hurlbert and J. C. Spaulding, justices; T. Jacobs, constable; P. A. Greeley and H. S. Leeman,