Town of Maple Creek. - For the most part this town is adapted to farming; it owed much of its early development
to the magnificent pine timber with which its slopes were covered. As before stated, the first corners gathered
tan bark from the hemlock trees which grew in profusion in some sections and furnished occasional employment for
a number of years. It was logging the great pines, however, that gave the early settlers employment by which to
subsist until their farms could produce a sufficiency. Some of those who logged extensively in the Maple Creek
region, were Drew, Campbell, Smith, Gainor and Garland. One season as high as seven million feet ot logs were put
in, most of them being landed on Maple and Bear creeks, two dams to assist the drive being put in Maple creek.
After the war the logging operation included the hardwood timber of which there was a vast amount, both maple and
oak, and until the middles70s there was a wealth of timber. During this time the settlers were enlarging their
clearings, and as the timber was removed, tracts held by lumber companies were thrown into market for settlement
and by the time the Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railroad established a market at New London, farms of considerable
extent were prepared to send their produce. After the coming of the M., L. S. & W. R. R., now the Northwestern,
a station was established in section 7 and called Sugar Bush, after the post office which had been established
in the vicinity some years previously. The first sawmill was located near there and was operated for a time by
Ruckdashel as a custom mill, and later by Henry Kickhoefer, by whom it was enlarged and shingle machinery added.
The first road through the territory of Maple Creek was the old Shawano Road which followed closely an old trail
made by the Indians in their migrations to and from the upper portions of the state, this road early became an
important artery of travel between New London, the practical head of navigation on the Wolf, and the great pineries
of the Embarrass country for which the young city became a base of supply.
The town of Embarrass (Maple Creek) is the only one in the county in which, so far as can be learned from the records,
absolutely no form of public improvements had been made at the time of its organization. A road overseer was elected
at the first election, November 5, 1853, April, 1856, the voters in town meeting declared for a road fund of $600,
for town expenses, $175. Seventeen voters participated in this election.
The following year the poll list bears thirty six names. A thousand dollars was voted for roads, $100 toward
a bridge across the Embarrass, $200 for town expenses. That summer contracts were let for crosswaying and planking
at twenty five cents per foot payable part in cash and part in town orders, and in November authorized Porter Bowen
to expend $59.86 on south branch of Embarrass known as "the cut off" in building a bridge. This, it is
claimed, was the first bridge across the Embarrass.
At an election February 29, 1864, on the question of taxing the town to pay volunteers $200 bounty, 29 votes were
cast, of which 10 were for and 16 against the tax.
The first change in the boundaries of the town of Embarrass occurred November, 1854, when the portion west of Wolf
river in townships 23 and 24, range 16, was included in Bovina, and one year later that part of township 22, range
16, lying west of Wolf river was attached to the town of Ellington.
By the creation of the town of Liberty, 1858, and by boundaries established the following year, Embarrass was reduced
to approximately that part of township 23, range 15, lying west of the Embarrass river, and township 24. November,
1860, the county board of supervisors ordained that the name of the town Embarrass should be changed to Maple Creek,
and, by an ordinance effective March 1, 1868, divided the town, setting apart all of township 24, range 15, to
form the new town Deer Creek, leaving its area substantially as at present.
The organization of Liberty deprived Embarrass of its only school save as a joint district but soon afterward District
No. 1 was formed and a school opened in a log building on the Spence farm and was taught by Isabel Mills, the first
schoolhouse was built on the line between Robert Hutchinson and Jerry Mericle about a mile south of the site of
the present schoolhouse. At an early day religious services were held by itinerant ministers and missionaries in
the homes of the settlers and in the schoolhouse. Representatives of the Baptist, Methodist, United, Brethren and.
Congregational churches held services at various times without churches. About 1870 William Steward organized the
Christian congregation which built a church on the Shawano road in northeast section 18. Lutheran congregations
have churches on northwest 10 and southeast 29.