Town of Seymour. - The first settlers in Seymour were William and John Ausbourne, who, with their families,
settled on section 32 in 1857, afterward removing to section 16. They had earlier settled in the western part of
the county on Wolf river and came into Seymour by boats, up the Wolf and Shioc rivers and Black creek, bring ing
their household goods. Fallen trees across the creek made progress slow, sometimes becoming necessary to unload
their goods to make portage around obstructions. There was, however, no better way, for at the time there was no
road from other settlements into Seymour. There had been a road across the town, traces of which were found by
later settlers and by them called "the old supply road," and believed by them to have been made by the
military authorities at Fort Howard to facilitate operations in case of an Indian outbreak. It had been abandoned
so long when the settlers discovered it (if it had ever been used) that brush had grown over it, entirely hiding
it in places. At the point where it crossed Black creek, however, were the remains of a bridge with crib abutments
and corduroy approaches. If there had ever been plank or logs on the stringers they had floated away.
For two years the Ausbournes were alone in Seymour, their neighbors being in Osborn. In 1859 Henry Becker and Herman
Husman came to section 33. living together on Becker's place until 1864. when Husman moved into Osborn. The fall
of 1859 Willis and Dan Munger came to build houses on their lands and the following spring the Mungers, William
H., Simeon W., Daniel H., W. N. and Levi W., arrived. William H., the father of the others. settled in northeast
quarter of section 32, his house being about where Dr. Hittner's now stands. Daniel's farther south, on what is
now Main street in the city of Seymour. Simeon W. lived in southwest 32 on the town line road. At the time, however,
there was no road there. To reach Seymour the Mungers, finding the way across Osborn impassable, came through the
Oneida settlement and employed Indians to cut a way from the settlement to section 32. Erastus C. Buttles came
the same spring and bought the west half of the southwest quarter of section 32, and spent the winter of '60 and
'61 in the settlement, but in 1861 entered the army and did not return to improve his farm until after the war.
Settlement and development progressed but slowly during the first ten years, but in the earlier '60s Lewis Conklin
settled in section 8. James Rice, William Harris and George Anderson, Porter M. Brooks settled in section 9 in
1864, D. P. Larkin in southwest 17 in 1865, and at the same time Alonzo Stevenson came to northeast 20, John Brown
to section 32 the same year, Leonard Carter in section 20 about 1866, Avery Carter the same year, Charles Eichler
about this time Was the first German in northern Seymour, on southwest section 4, Albert Anderson, in section 4,
came September, 1865. Joel Winters was in section 19, at first came to work in the woods about 1865 and 1866. Frederick
Muehl and family came in 1867, bought an eighty from Lloyds, on which was a small log house roofed with split hollow
logs, afterward bought the W. H. Munger place. Peter Tubbs came in December, 1867, and bought in section 17, chopped
a few acres and the following September brought his wife and baby to the heavily timbered tract he has since developed
into the magnificent "Woodland Farm," on which he still resides, George Anderson had a saw mill in 1868
and later built a flour mill at Lime Rock, in Osborn, near the Seymour town line.
Before the railroad was built, 1876, the south town line road was rather a stirring place. George Shepherd had
located there the first blacksmith shop. The first school house was there and the first Methodist church. There
was a store and a postoffice and finally the grist mill. The postoffice, called Lime Rock, was established in 1865,
with S. W. Munger (Uncle Willis) postmaster, at a salary of $8 per year. The mail was brought from Appleton by
John Wheeler, who made the trip afoot. The next postoffice in Seymour was established in 1870 at the home of Peter
Tubbs, who was its first postmaster, and a carrier was secured to bring the mail from Lime Rock until the route
from Appleton was extended to Seymour postoffice, The original supplies for this office, including stamps, was
in amount less than $25,00, and though postage on papers and periodicals was paid at office of delivery the weekly
receipts for the first quarter ranged from nine to twenty six cents, After the railroad began carrying mails regularly
the office was removed to Seymour Station and David Dix was appointed postmaster. Dix was the first store keeper
in Seymour, early in 1872.
During the spring of 1868 the town of Seymour was one of the principal points sought by new settlers looking for
homes, The lands were extremely fertile, a few roads had been laid out and graded, and settlers were welcomed by
the few residing there, Several schoolhouses were already built; an excellent saw mill was in full operation, and
the residents there could take their choice between Green Bay and Appleton as a place to market their products.
In 1868 there were two log houses on the site of the City of Seymour. When the railroad was built the number had
increased to six, Henry Robbins, W. B. O'Haring, the station master; Dan Mungers, Aunt Sally Mungers, the hotel
and barroom of Otto Broehmer, and David Dix, Four more were added in 1872, Dr. Strong's, Willis Munger's, Elke's
and Roloff's. At about this time the spoke and stave factory was established by Hammel & Co., and the village
grew too rapidly to keep track of the buildings House building "bees" were common, and a house that was
built in a day excited no comment even though the day chanced to be Sunday, Better lumber than is procurable now
could then be had for seven dollars per thousand, George Anderson started a saw mill about 1868, the first in the
town, which was run mostly as a custom mill. About 1870 shingle machinery was installed. Little of the product
was shipped though some was hauled out over the railroad grade before the track was laid,
Oscar Conklin built a mill in 1870 about where the grist mill now stands, was run as a custom mill. Was sold to
McIntosh, Ross and Perry, McIntosh, about 1871 or 1872, sold his interest to George M. Pope and it was run by Pope,
Ross and Perry until about 1876, when they sold to Northwestern Manufacturing Company of Fort Atkinson, who run
it until the timber was exhausted.
The Whitney mill was built in 1871 and hauled its product to Appleton until the railroad was completed, The first
freight train on the Green Bay & Lake Pepin railroad was loaded with lumber and shingles from this mill. Around
the mills were dwellings and shops. New settlers were mainly from Ohio, New York and New England.
Though these mills consumed a great amount of timber the quantity was infinitesimal compared to that taken off
by the logging camps, the first of which was run by John O'Shea, whose camp, says Gary Munger, was located back
of where the fair grounds are now in section 29. This was the winter of 1860 and 1861. They took only clear pine
The next winter John and William Grignon logged on the Comee eighty, south half of northeast quarter of section
28. occupying O'Shea's old shanties, During the winter of 1862 and 1863 Riggs and Reynolds had their camp in the
city limits, lumbering the west half of section 28 and the east half of 29. After lumbering there two winters they
offered to sell the two half sections for the price of the deed,
D. H. Munger and Tom Shepherd occupied the O'Shea shanties the winter of 1862 and 1863, Riggs and Reynolds lumbered
together three years, then Riggs alone the winter of 1866 and 1867 on the Max Siegel farm. The Griffith of Fond
du Lac had a camp on section 23. Fisher in 1867-68 on section 28. The same winter Allen and Burnett on northwest
quarter of section 16, used John Ausbourne's house for a camp, In 1868-69 Griffith and son returned and Miles Wheeler
of Neenah and Wharton, in 1871-72, with Charley and Bill Hawthorne as foremen, occupied the old Riggs camp. Paul
Reynolds came in the early '70s and logged. All the logs cut by these camps were run out Black creek to the Shioc
and Wolf rivers and down to the lake, It was necessary to drive out Black creek "with a head," that is,
a dam was placed in the stream and the logs sluiced through, and after the logs had passed the dam, water could
be let out as required to float them over the shallows and sand bars, Two dams were required in Black creek, one
in section 29, the other in 31, Efforts were made each year to get the log drives from the creeks in this vicinity
into the Wolf river before the drives from the upper Wolf, Shioc and Embarrass rivers. During the height of the
lumbering operations the river was full of logs from the melting of the snow and ice until September.
The German invasion of Seymour begun in 1859 was slower than that of the English speaking settlers until after
the war, From that time there was a constantly increasing ratio of Germans until in the early '70s they outnumbered.
the "Yankee" newcomers in the farming districts. While during the rapid growth of the city of Seymour
the English speaking element predominated there, this fact largely attributed to the buying out of farms upon which
improvements had been made by the later Germans, Among those who took their lands "in the rough," in
addition to those already mentioned, were the Kroners, Hackels and Eberts in section 3, Miller in section 4, the
Nickels, Jacob in 22, Phillip in 27; Ben Liebhaber in 21; Julius, Fred and Albert Zisemer; the Carrow family; Krause
before 1870, and Kailhofer, both in section 3, Wirth came about 1870. The Dixons, Porters and Sturms, the latter
coming in the the '60s. Nick Trauver in the '70s; Peter Schmitt, the Nicklays, Jake in 13, John in Section 12,
early in the '70s; Anton Henas in the '60s, and Joe Moyer late in the '70s. Albert Brugger had a blacksmith shop
in Seymour City in 1873 and is now on a farm in section 27.
The first marriage in Seymour was a German couple, Henry Becker and Tina Simnicht, at the home of the bridegroom,
on the south town line, who was probably the first German settler, in 1859.
"The first white child born in Seymour was Ada M., daughter of William and Harriet Ausbourne, March 31, 1860,
and the first death was that of William Ausbourne, Sr., father of the town's first settlers, July 9, 1859, Rev.
David Lewis of Oneida preached the funeral sermon."- (Outagamie Pioneer,)
The town of Seymour was created by the county board setting apart all that portion of Outagamie county in township
24, north of ranges 18 and 19 east, to be formed into a new town to be called Seymour, in honor of ex-Governor.
Horatio Seymour of New York, who at the time was the most extensive land owner in the town, The first town meeting
was ordered held at the school house in district No. 2, the ordinance to be effective from and after March 1, 1867.
At this meeting in April organization was effected by appointing James Rice, chairman; Lewis Conklin and W. M.
Ausbourne, inspectors. It has been erroneously stated that these were the officers elected to serve the first year,
but the report of the election board gives the following: James Rice, chairman; Henry Becker and D. H. Munger,
supervisors; C. E. McIntosh, town clerk; William M, Ausbourne, treasurer; Louis Conklin, assessor; Erastus Battles
and Louis Conklin, justices of the peace; L. B. Carter, constable. The number of votes polled was twenty one. Other
business transacted was the appointment of James Rice, D. H. Munger, W. L. Ausbourne and Lewis Conklin, overseers
of highways in the four road districts into which the town was divided, The meeting voted for school purposes,
$50.00; for current expenses, $120.00. An appropriation of $75.00 was voted for bridging on the road between sections
20 and 29. May 4, 1870, at a special town meeting to vote on the proposition of the Green Bay & Lake Pepin
Railway, 24 votes favored and 23 were against the proposition, which was for the town to issue bonds in aid of
the railway, receiving therefor stock of the road of equal amount, December 8, 1870, the town officials, "after
having proof of the grading of the Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railway, gave $4,000 in bonds of the town of Seymour
and took in exchange $4,000 in stock of the railroad." The bonds were dated January 1, 1871, and bore interest
at ten per centum from date, payable annually December 31, bonds for $3,000 additional were exchanged for stock,
making the total bond issue $7,000, payable, $1,000 in five years, the remainder in three biennial payments of
The railway stock received for these bonds was considered worthless and when the City of Seymour was incorporated,
and the board apportioned the funds and indebtedness of the city and town, no account was made of the stock, but
when, in 1880, the town sold it at five per cent of its face value, the city demanded its proportion, which was
refused because of a tax matter dating prior to incorporation which the city, though having the power, failed to
rectify, and which the town held as an offset against the funds received for the stock, After long and expensive
litigation, during which an appeal to higher courts was taken, the town was obliged to reimburse the city, No bonds
have since been issued by the town, whose financial condition is excellent. In its physical contour the surface
throughout the town is gently rolling, or easy slopes, Originally covered by a forest of heavy pine, interspersed
with hardwood, the soil varies somewhat in different sections, but is well drained and fertile and adapted to great
diversity of crops. The principal industry is dairy farming. The growing of sugar beets receives considerable attention
and recently an enormous acreage has been devoted to cabbage. Fruit growing as an industry for profit has until
1910 and the present year received little consideration. Many cherry orchards of considerable extent have been
planted this year, but as no crops have been harvetsed no estimate of the value to the town can be made, The farms
are well kept and farm buildings are substantial and pleasing in appearance. The roads throughout the town, already
good, are being constantly improved, as is also true of the school buildings. The school house in No, 2, known
as "The Tubbs district," is especially noticeable as a model building, and in appearance and equipment
would be a credit to a village or city,
The city of Seymour was organized under an act of incorporation April 5, 1879, only seven years from the building
of the railroad, Its fasts officers were: T, J. St, Louis, mayor; B. F. Strong, J. Brinkman and August Volk, aldermen;
C. E. McIntosh, supervisor; M. D. Newald, city clerk; C. E. McIntosh, assessor; Thomas H. Mitchell, treasurer;
Dana Dix, marshal; H. Moneback, constable; A, M. Anderson, police justice; George Downer, street commissioner;
Sam Howard, justice of the peace, Street improvements, sidewalk building and fire protection were immediately considered
and efforts along this line have placed the little city in the front rank of cities of its size, so far as public
utilities are concerned. The streets are well kept, adequate drainage afforded, concrete sidewalks and crossings
are provided. A large and handsome City Hall provides accommodations for the city officers and a large council
chamber on the upper floor. The ground floor houses the fire fighting apparatus. Room in the building is provided
for the City Library, which was organized by a Ladies' Library Association and turned over to the city. Cisterns
in various localities of the city afford water for fire fighting. A volunteer fire company dated its organization
to about the time of the city's incorporation, which was replaced July 1, 1910, by a municipal fire department,
of which C. F. Wagner is chief; John Huettl, captain of hose company; Charles Wolk, captain of hook and ladder
company; F. E. Dopkins, secretary; Arthur Folk, treasurer. The department is limited to twenty five members and
maintains its full quota.
A monthly newspaper was started by George Mendell, May, 1880. Seymour, though becoming an important supply point,
in 1880, was unable to hold the whole trade, since Appleton could discount Seymour prices, Some merchants thought
the reason not so much a difference in prices as that customers wished to tell they had bought in Appleton, The
People's Friend urged the merchants to buy wholesale in New York, rather than Appleton and give the local trade
the benefit of the saving, Peter Tubbs completed the census, and about July 1, 1880, announced the population of
the city 849, and of the town 762. In the city council, June 7, a gravel bed was ordered purchased and resolutions
passed relative to sidewalk improvements.
The Seymour Tribune was talking cheese factory, July, 1880.
L. B. Bullock was pastor of M. E, Church in 1880, The Catholic congregation again secured a pastor in Rev. Peter
Scholl, but the Congregational Church needed a minister. Rev. J. E. Wuebbin was pastor of the Lutherans, and Rev.
Diete was pastor of the Evangelical Association. F. R. Ditmer showed apples more than ten inches around, in August.
Seymour Lodge, I. O. O. F., celebrated its third anniversary August 21.
The Northwestern Manufacturing Company had over a half million feet of logs and still buying, February, 1881, The
Temple of Honor was vigorous and growing in that year, The death of Mayor Harrington left a vacancy which was filled
by the election of George Droeger.
At the completion of the Green Bay & Lake Pepin Railway, about Christmas, 1871, a station was established near
the northwest corner of section 33. A store was opened early in 1872 and about the same time Seymour postoffice
was removed to that point, With the mills and shops this formed the nucleus of village.
"Few towns of northern Wisconsin," says the Appleton Post, "have thrived as uniformly as the village
of Seymour, Only five or six years have passed since the first scar was made in a wilderness, the site of this
thriving town, It at once became the base of important business and manufacturing enterprises, to which additions
of more or less consequence have been made every year."
The leading manufacturing firm in Seymour, 1877, is Hammel & Parkhurst, manufacturing staves, furnishing
employment to sixty men, This firm lately acquired a hub and spoke factory, now employing fifteen hands, whose
efforts the past year have been devoted to working up stock on hand. Upham Bros, do a large business in lumber,
J. P. Laird & Co, are lumber dealers and manufacturers. The Northwestern Manufacturing Company of Fort Atkinson
employ twenty men in their branch here. John Brinkman & Co., hub and spoke factory, employ twenty eight hands.
The custom work of Shirland & Steward's flouring mill amounts to 15,000 bushels besides a large merchant trade.
J. J. Leish makes staves for tight barrels, Mitchell & Steward, in general merchandise, do a thriving business,
D. Hammel & Co. require five hands to serve their customers, Mitchelstetter & Fenrig do a constantly increasing
business. L. A. Le Meeux presides over drug headquarters, J. Dean & Sons employ four hands in their hardware,
started last April, Phillip Muehl supplies Seymour and vicinity with furniture from a carefully selected stock.
J. Brinkman & Co. do a very extensive mercantile trade, J. J. Trenam & Co, make a specialty of groceries
and provisions, Mrs. Trenam conducts a successful millinery department, Fred Lemke, F. B. Ditmer and W. Shmirler
are separately engaged as boot and shoe makers, all successfully.
"Few towns of northern Wisconsin have thrived so uniformly since their establishment as the village of Seymour.
Indeed, only five or six years have elapsed since the first scar was made in a wilderness which now forms the site
of this thriving inland town, It at once became the base of important business and manufacturing enterprises to
which additions of greater or less consequence have been made every year, Of course the particular cause which
induced the establishment and subsequent prosperity of Seymour was the building of the G. B, & M. R. R., a
few years ago,"- (Appleton Post, December, 1877,)
"The leading manufacturing firm in Seymour, 1877, is Hammel & Parkhurst, manufacturing staves, furnish
employment to sixty men, This firm lately acquired a large hub and spoke factory, now employing fifteen hands,
whose efforts during the past year have been confined to working up stock on hand."- (Appleton Post, December,
"Upham Bros. do large business in lumber. J. P. Laird & Co., lumber dealers and manufacturers, J. M, Rhode
is agent for both these firms, The Northwestern Manufacturing Company, employing twenty men, is a branch of works
at Fort Atkinson, John Brinkman.
"The following are separately engaged in blacksmithing: A. J. Hunter, William Kratzke George Droeger and Peter
Westergreen. Wagon makers are Aug, Wolk, C. Pauley, John Zurbrigg and the firm of Peckham & O'Brien, the last
mentioned having a blacksmithing branch.
"Voeskes & Nice are proprietorsof a meat market and ice house. A. Hines makes and repairs harness, John
Dillematter makes a superior kind of grain cradle, J. J. Bowerman does quite a business as jeweler and photographer,
Mrs, Benedict started a millinery line two months ago; has quite a business, H. C. Werts makes photographs to order.
Aug, Forester has fruit and notion stand. Thos. Bailey has restaurant and billiard hall. F. A. Glass, shaving parlor.
Oscar Conklin entertains his guests handsomely at the shaving House. Otto Broehmer is the successful landlord of
the Seymour House. William Robbins is proprietor of the village livery stable Drs. B. T, Strong and M, H. Kerwin
look after the health of the busy people, Total amount of business for the year, $381,500,"- (Post, December
During the year, 1887, the following persons erected dwellings in. Seymour: August Wolk, Joel Winter, Sewell Shepherd,
addition; M, Kahn, F. Stillwater, C. Farwell, George Donner, Thomas St, Louis, Philip Muehl Dr. George Kindress,
John Kelaofall, John Kroner, Mr, Gourel, Rev. Mr, Souterman, Mr. Mail, Chris Newman, Mr, Prickerman, Fred Sacko,
Chris. Winestine, Henry Howard, Richard Ponies, James Alexander, Martin O'Brien, Joseph Labelle, Mr. Henry, George
Droeger, George Foster, Joseph Ausborne, J. J. Bowerman, Barns also were built by John Kelaofall, John Croner and
Richard Porties, Joseph Gunter and C. E, McIntosh.
May 25, 1881, the house of William Harris was seen to be on fire, Firemen entering the attic to put out the fire
found evidence of incendiarism, - Harris was arrested and committed suicide, An old fashioned Fourth of July celebration,
1881, with George B. Pratt of Menasha, Capt, William Zickerich of Gravesville, who speaks in German, and Rev. L.
B. Bullock of Seymour, speakers of the day, was announced by the Aurora, which in the same issue, June 28, gave
up the ghost, its editor, George E. Mendell, stating that after three years effort, "being a deaf mute we
cannot make a local and political paper interesting to many," Mendell's journalistic labors were resumed the
following month in a magazine which was soon afterward removed to Appleton,
The Seymour Press made its first appearance July 8, 1886, under the management of H. J. Van Vuren, an independent
weekly, which has continued without change of management or policy to the present,
As evidence of the prosperity of her institutions Seymour citzens may, point with pride to her banks, the first
of which dates its inception to 1887, when William Michelstetter began doing a private banking business. S. H.
Rondeau being his cashier. On this superstructure was erected the Seymour State Rank, which opened its doors for
business in January, 1903, with a capital stock of $30,000. There has been no Change in its official directory,
the present officers having been thefirst ones elected, These are William Michelstetter, president; Frank Falck,
vice president;shand Charles R. Prosser, cater, The foregoing, with the addition of Dr, James Hittner and Charles
Ploeger, constitutes the directorate. The capital stock at the present time is $60,000, with a surplus of $7,000.
The prosperity of the bank is evidenced in that it has paid to its stockholders nearly 100 per cent, in dividends,
and gave each share for share of stock, making the benefits to stockholders equal to hundred and fifty per cent,
in eight years, The bank pays its customers four per cent, on savings and deposits, deriving its ability to do
so from one and a half million dollars of mortgages in force.
In December, 1892, the First National Bank of Seymour, capitalized at $30,000, was organized and began doing business,
James H. Taylor and William Larson, both of Green Bay. were the first president and vice president, respectively.
The first board of directors was composed of J. H. Taylor, William Larson, S, H. Cady, Jacob Friend, Peter Tubbs,
Robert Kuehne and Francis R. Dittmer, the first three named of Green Bay, the rest of Seymour.
The bank prospered from its inception, notwithstanding the defalcation of its first cashier to the amount of $58,000,
Ordinarily such a loss would have caused ruin to the average country bank, but this bank had its foundation solidly
based upon men of means and integrity, and its solidity was never seriously questioned, In 1894 Francis It. Ditmer
became president, Peter Tubbs vice president, and Charles Freund cashier, this official list remaining unchanged
to the present.
In the spring of 1860, relates Gary Munger, Mrs, Frank Manley gathered the children of the neighborhood and under
the shade trees held a school, teaching without pay in order that a course of education might begin and the state
aid for schools be secured. Of this' humble beginning the justly famed Seymour city school is an outgrowth, and
to Mrs. Manley should be given the credit due a pioneer educator, In the fall of that year Rosa McGann of Oneida
Reservation taught school in David Benedict's house, a log shanty on the town line,
A school district had been formed May 12, 1860, called District No. 2 of Osborn, of which Seymour was then a part,
and the first school meeting held at the house of Mr. Rockfellow, but the site for a schoolhouse was not surveyed
until April, 1861, A schoolhouse was built and furnished with four long benches and desks on each side, and stood
about a half mile west of the south end of Main street, Seymour, in section 32, This building was the scene of
many memorable events in the history of the settlement. It was not only a. schoolhouse, but Sunday school and church
services, town meetings, public gatherings and Independence day celebrations were held there, At first this district
included all of the town of Seymour, as well as a portion of Osborn, but in 1866 a new district was formed of the
northern four tiers of sections, After the separation of Seymour from Osborn this school was continued as a joint
district until May, 1869, when it was dissolved and new districts formed., At an unrecorded date in that year the
old log schoolhouse was sold to the highest cash bidder, with stove and pipe, pail, dipper and broom, dictionary,
blackboard, wood and closet for $28.66, aid was afterward used for a church,
To trace the history of the schools from year to year would require more space than can be allotted it, It is sufficient
to say that a portion of the city of Seymour, together with portions of the towns of Osborn and Seymour, were included
in a joint district until 1887, When by an act of the legislature the territory within the city limits was made
one school district. Up to that time the city had employed but two teachers; but immediately more room was required
to accommodate four teachers. A building was procured which was remodeled and added to, and in it the High school
was established with Merritt L Campbell principal, under the three years' course, For the promotion of the high
school system in Seymour, says F. R. Ditmer, too much credit cannot be given Dr. R. H. Schmitt, a resident of the
city and at the time county superintendent of schools,
In 1903 the school building was destroyed by fire and the present handsome structure was erected. Thoroughly modern
in design and equipment, it contains five school rooms besides the general assembly room, three recitation rooms
and an auditorium seating six hundred. In the basement is a well equipped gymnasium, a very effective heating and
ventilating apparatus, and a vacuum cleaning system. A library for the use of the students is kept in the building,
which contains about twelve hundred carefully selected volumes, to which additions are constantly made. A principal,
two assistants and five grade teachers comprise the corps of instructors, After the first five years the four years',
course was adopted, as at present. Twenty one classes have graduated, there being none in 1891, the total alumnae,
including the class of '11, being 163.
The Congregational Church of Seymour is the offspring of a congregation formed in town of Osborn in the '60s,
and a church house erected about three miles southwest of the city. About 1872 an organization was effected in
Seymour, which included most of the membership of the Osborn congregation, and services there were discontinued
and the church building was converted into a residence on the farm of John Knox. A chapel was built by the organization
in Seymour, which was used until sometime in the '80s, when the present church was erected and the chapel remodeled
into a residence for the minister The church, though never strong in membership or finance, has maintained its
organization and its Sunday school dates from the beginning, The early history of the church is somewhat obscure,
but since Elder Clinton was serving it in 1873 it is likely he was instrumental in its organization.
Zion Church of the Evangelical Association was organized in 1870 under the ministry of Rev. G Zoellhoefer. The
families of F. Muehl, F. Peotter, Henry Baker and C. Miller were among the first of this faith in the town, Frederick
Kurz from Neenah held the first services at Fred Muehl's house, Rev. Bockmuhl also preached in the homes before
the church was organized, and Rev. Schelp was another early minister,
Until 1875 the congregation was a part of the Neenah Mission Field, when Rev. C. Oerth was stationed here, After
him came F. Hormuth, 1877; F. Diete, 1879; John Schueller, 1882; F. Eilert, 1885; Theador Schauer, 1887; M. Gauerke,
1889; C. W. Schuelter, 1892; J. J. Hoffman, 1895; L. M. Siewart, 1899; G. J. Welling, 1903; H. Best, 1905, and
H. G Koten, the present pastor, in 1907. The first church was erected on;the town line road at the south end of
Main street and used until 1902, when the present handsome building was erected in a more central part of the city.
In 1882 a parsonage was bought, and used for five years when a residence was bought further south on Main street,
The congregation now has one hundred and ten members and maintains a Sunday school, Young People's Alliance and
Ladies' Aid Society, in which deep interest is manifest,
The first meetings of the Church of Christ, Scientist, were held about 1894 at Piehl's hall, which place is still
so used, Although no regular organization has ever been effected the number of adherents to the faith increased
to nearly forty, but the society has experienced losses by removals and by joining other societies, the membership
Immanuel's Congregation, Evangelical Lutheran Church, was organized about 1876, A church was built in 1878, prior
to which for a year or two services had been held in the homes of families of that faith by a minister from Freedom,
About fifteen families formed the congregation at first, who in 1879 called the Rev. J. E. Wuebbin to the pastorate,
after whom came Henry Holterman, 1884; A. Horwitz, 1888; W, Bellon, 1891, after whom the present minister, Rev.
F. H. Ohlrogge took charge. 1897. A schoolhouse was built in the early '90s, in which the minister instructs the
children of the congregation, and in 1892 built an addition to the church. Not long after the church was built
the minister's residence was acquired and remodeled in 1898, An addition to the rear of the church was built in
1902, and in 1904 a pipe organ was installed, In 1897 the membership had increased to about 78 families and has
now about 160, The sum contributed by the congregation for outside work from $91 in 1897 to $324,28 in 1910, The
Sunday school has nine teachers besides the minister and 120 pupils,
L. B. Bullock was the pioneer preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Seymour, holding services in the old
log schoolhouse on the town line, and laid the foundation of the congregation while yet a student about 1867. The
log parsonage which was built in 1873 and 1874, stood in section 20 in the town of Osborn, and was built before
the church which stood on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 5, After the railroad went through
and a. village sprang up around the station, a reorganization was effected and the church was moved into the city
about four lots south of the site of the present church. A residence belonging to the congregation was moved back
to front on the next street east of Main, in the same block. In 1895 the parsonage was rebuilt and the following
year the new church was erected and dedicated January, 1897, David Lewis was pastor about 1869 and 1870, and was
followed by J. Banty, 1871; H. Yarwood, 1872; B. F. Sanford, 1874; S, H. Couch, 1875; O. B. Clark, 1877; L. B.
Bullock, 1879; Rev. Hutchins, 1882; William Rowbottom' 1883; W. D. Cox, 1886; Enoch Savage, 1888; Ferdinand Binder,
1890; Rev. Fowls, 1891; E. L. Spicer, 1892; D. H. Carmichael, 1893; D. O. Sanborn, 1895; W. A. Newing, 1898; J.
E. Manning, 1901; H. Hicks, 1906, C. M. Starkweather has been pastor since, The Sunday school has about a hundred
members and about twenty five. in the Epworth League.
St. John's Catholic congregation was organized about 1872 and the first church was built in 1873. At first the
congregation was served by priests from other localites, Rev. Scholter, the first resident pastor, coming a year
or two later, He built a schoolhouse, in which school was held for several years, but afterward used for a parsonage,
In 1900 the present handsome stone church was erected and in 1910 the old residence was torn down, which is now
being replaced by a beautiful structure of hollow tile and terra cotta brick in modern design and equipment.
The organization of St, Sebastian congregation at Eiser divided the parish, both churches now being served by Rev.
On August 25, 1884, W. B. Comee, D. A. Kenyon, W. F. Cirkle, William Michelstetter, T. H. Mitchell, George Falck
and J. Stewart organized and established the Seymour Fair and Driving Park Association; grounds there were purchased
and a half mile track prepared, Funds were raised and all features put in excellent condition, and the first fair
was held in October, 1885, lasting three days, Among those interested were Peter Tubbs, John Uecke, S, P. Armitage,
George Row. E. Sherman, John Bull, W. Greenwald, G. W. Butler, J. Dean, The races were enjoyed, though driven in
a pouring rain, Sorrel Prince, Appleton Maid, Annie Lou, Jim Golden were the racers, The fair was pronounced a
The Seymour Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1895 with a capital of $6,000, the incorporators being F.
R, Dittmer, William Michelstetter, D. A. Kenyon, G. H. Feurig, C. H. Horr, W. D. Comee, George Falk, James Hittner,
Louis Mueller, Fred Muehl, Jr., Philip Muehl, William Straub, W. H. Foote, A. J. Behling, John Lempke, F. L. Forward,
M, Bodenheimer, W. M. Muehl, Emil Gross, Jacob Freund, L. D. Fuchsgruber, George Broeger, J. A. Swan and Peter
Tubbs, The object of the company was to manufacture agricultural implements and do a general repair and jobbing
business, They prepared at once to build their plant,
The stock yards at Seymour, owned by Kuehne Brothers, paid out in six months $65,000; over $6,000 was paid in one
day. As high as sixteen carloads of stock were shipped in one day, with two lade left over for want of cars. From
three to five carloads went every week late in 1895, The Farmers' Tnstitute at Seymour was well conducted, well
attended and instructive.
The mercury at Seymour dropped as low as forty degrees below zero about the middle of February, 1899; this was
the lowest since 1872, About this time the Seymour Press was, issued as a semiweekly, The Catholics, headed by
Father James Bastian, decided to build a new church in 1899.
Seymour was undoubtedly one of the best live stock, grain and dairy product markets in the state about 1899. Robert
Kuehne paid out $11,000 in two days for stock late in October, In October, 1899, the old Catholic Church was taken
away and work on the new building was commenced,
In a speaking contest between the Seymour High school and the Green Bay High school, held at Green Bay in May,
1899, the former won easily. Nearly 200 pupils went from Seymour to witness the contest. Six speakers were chosen
from each school, Much credit was given Prof, Schmidt and Miss Siiverfriend, who trained the Seymour contestants.
At this time Mayor Foster favored city water works; mass meetings were called and held to consider the subject.
The Seymour baseball club defeated the Green Bay club in May.
The people of Seymour early appreciated the benefits derived from intimate association and united effort, which
was manifest in the early organization of schools, churches and Sunday schools already mentioned, from which to
derive intellectual and spiritual benefits. To attain social and financial benefits other organizations were formed,
each of which has lent its aid to the betterment of the community, among which may be mentioned Seymour Lodge,
No. 273, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, John Ganzo Post, 198, G. A. R., and its affiliated organizations, the
Woman's Relief Corps and Sons of Veterans, Seymour Camp Modern Woodmen of America, and its associate the camp of
Royal Neighbors, Mystic Star Council, No, 1928, Royal Arcanum, Seymour Council No, 30, National Fraternal League,
Fox River Council, No, 17, Fraternal Reserve Association, Sons of Herman, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
To an inestimable extent the pre eminence of Seymour as a progressive agricultural and stock growing community
is attributable to the Seymour Fair and Driving Park stock growing, which was incorporated in 1885 with W. F. Circle,
president; Marshall K, Snell, secretary T. H. Mitchell, George Falk and J. A. Stewart, trustees, who bought fifteen
acres and laid out a half mile track just north of the residence district, but within the city limits of Seymour.
To provide adequate space for increasing exhibition and attendance, five acres more have been added. Through the
liberal premiums offered a spirit of emulation was generated and fostered, to the vast improvement of live stock
and the products of garden, orchard and field, and, as well, the domestic arts and sciences. Too much credit cannot
be given the promoters of this association,
The farmers' institutes and the monthly stock shows at Seymour were well attended from 1890 to 1896; on stock days
from five to ten carloads of stock were bought and shipped. The Fair and Driving Park Association was well attended
and popular, In 1889 the association was in debt over $1,000, Peter Tubbs was elected president and John Uecke
a trustee, Through their work largely the association was put in much better condition, $509 of the debt being
paid. James Dean succeeded Tubbs and continued the good work.