First Connecticut Heavy Artillery
Historical Sketch
and Present Addresses of Members
State of Maine

Compiled by
E. B. Bennett, East Berlin, CT

Title Page

Ending Page

Members (to be added)

In order to give a detailed account of the 4th Infantry Regiment of Connecticut, it will be necessary to commence at the foundation. It appears by official reports that on the 9th of November 1860, an attempt was made to seize the arms at Fort Moultrie, and from that time forth, all sorts of war preparations were carried on by the C. S. Army, until on April 12, 1861, at four o'clock A. M., Fort Moultrie opened fire on Fort Sumter, which continued until noon of the 13th. Then a flag of truce was sent to Major Anderson in command of Fort Sumter, requesting him to evacuate the Fort with his men, numbering 111 all told. The terms were that the garrison should take all its individual and company property and should march out with their side arms in their own way and at their own time, but that they should salute their flag and take it with them.

While saluting the flag, Daniel Hough, private, Battalion E, ist U. S. Artillery, was killed by the premature explosion of a cannon. He was the first soldier killed in the war, and was buried on the 15th of April, by order of General Beauregard with all the honors of war. Major Anderson and his men sailed on the 14th for New York.

April 15, 1861 This, comrades is a memorial day for the 4th Ct. Infantry. President Lincoln issued a proclamation commanding all persons in arms against the Government to disperse within twenty days, and also called for 75,000 three months' troops, and we of the 4th responded to this call. The regiment had completed its number when, on the 3d day of May, 1861, the President did not want any more three months' men and called for 300,000 three year volunteers. Upon this order we were disbanded, but this much we ventured, to brave the storm come what would, so what there was, or nearly all, put their names down in the books for three years in place of three months, and to-day, reader, they still remain and are recorded for generations after us to guard and protect, and we have every reason to feel proud of the record we gained and shall leave behind us for ages. And we are also proud to think that we were the first regiment to offer ourselves to his excellency, Wm. A. Buckingham, as ready and willing to be turned over into the hands of the United States for any service she might require of us.

We were the first three years' regiment to offer our services to protect the old flag, which floats so triumphantly over us today, respected by all nations of the earth.

On the 23d of May, 1861, we were mustered into the United States service for three years, or during the war, and as the three months' troops had all departed for the field, we were patiently awaiting our turn. We were sent into camp on the north meadows to await orders and drill preparatory to meeting the enemy, and thus, the time passed until the morning of June 10th, at which time we made all preparations for our departure. Our camp was tentless by nine o'clock, and camp Mansfield was no more for us. It was nearly noon before we were ready, or at least before others were ready for us, but at last we were got into position ready to be escorted to the boats. The escort consisted of the first company Governor's Horse Guards, the Putnam Phalanx, and the City Guards, Company B.

Comrades, it is not really necessary for me to tell you that this 10th of June was one of those hot, hotter, hottest days' seemingly, that we had ever been able to meet with in our own little State; but we were made up of the best material, the men of this regiment coming from all parts of the State; I do not believe but every town in the State was represented. We finally reached the State House square, nearly melted, where we waited, for what seemed hours, in the boiling sun while speeches were being made, which not one-tenth of us could hear.

The regimental standard was presented to Colonel Woodhouse by Lieutenant Governor Douglas, and the National Flag by H. L. Millet, Esq., in behalf of the ladies of the Putnam Phalanx. When this was over we took up our line of march, and succeeded in getting safely embarked, about four o'clock P. M., on board the steamboats "Granite State" and the "City of Hartford". The city was crowded with people who had assembled to witness our departure, and the buildings along our line of march, and the steamboats were all highly decorated with flags and bunting. A dense crowd of people had gathered at the docks and on boats, as well as along the banks of the river to see us depart. Then there was music and firing of cannons and tremendous cheering and waving of hats and handkerchiefs on all sides as we steamed down the river. Other cannons were fired and new crowds greeted us all along the way, until we were too tired to recognize them any longer and darkness closed them from view.

The morning of the 11th found us in Jersey City, where orders were received, assigning us to General Patterson's command, and directing us to report to him immediately. But it was impossible to get transportation, and so we spent the day in and around the depot at Jersey City, and a tiresome day it was too, most of us being strangers in the place, or rather the city being strange to most of us; and beside, we were under military discipline. But at last, about half past five o'clock, P. M., a train of twenty-eight cars was backed in, it was reported that they were ready to transport us. We were soon aboard and set out for Philadelphia, reaching that city in the small hours of the morning Wednesday, and proceeding across the city, took the cars for Harrisburg. There were no passenger coaches to be had, and at daylight Wednesday morning we found ourselves packed away in box cars, headed for Harrisburg, the capital city of Pennsylvania.

We reached our destination, if my memory serves me correctly, about noon, or a little after, and after switching around over the trestle works for a while, were once more under way, this time headed for Chambersburg, which we reached in the night. We had orders to remain at this place for a short time, and that night we slept in a clover field under the starlight of Heaven,-Camp McClure.

It was here, comrades, we found the first hard bread the writer had ever seen, and like many of the boys I filled my haversack full, for I was nearly starved; but feeling the need of a wash we searched about until we found some water, a generous use of which refreshed us very much after our long and dusty ride through the coal regions. But the hard bread must not be forgotten; before the day was spent we had learned that the crackers were better adapted for wagon wheels than for eating purposes, and we tried to educate ourselves as to their make-up. Some of the boys concluded that they had been made a long time, from the fact of their being marked "B. C." The 1st Wisconsin regiment were also encamped here, and among them we found many warm friends, who, like ourselves, were ready for any amusement; so we commenced making young wagons, using the crackers for wheels, as we had a goodly supply. We had them for breakfast, and for dinner, and for change of diet, had them for supper; in fact crackers were used for all purposes, and when we had our wagons completed, we tried to trade them off among the Wisconsin boys for something different to eat.

June 17th, at twelve o'clock M., we took the cars for Hagerstown, arriving at Camp Negley about four o'clock P. M., going into camp again with our friends of the 1st Wisconsin, and looking forward to a good time on the morrow. But, alas! at midnight the long roll was beaten, and we were hurried off for Williamsport about six miles distant. When we reached that place the Johnnies had disappeared, and we had to content ourselves during that day to lie about on the ground in the scorching sun trying to eat our hard crackers, which we had brought along. In the evening we returned to camp again, at Hagerstown, and thus ended our first forced march.

On the 4th of July, five companies of the left wing, under command of Major Birge, were sent to Williamsport; the right wing remaining at Camp Negley until the 6th when it moved forward to the fair grounds just below the arsenal on the Williamsport road, where they remained until the 16th of August. Meanwhile the left wing in Williamsport were having a good time drilling and doing guard duty under Captain Kellogg, who was very fond of having the long roll beat, to see how quickly he could get us into line. Here we made the acquaintance of the "Pie Girls", who used to come into camp every day selling pies and cakes and getting acquainted with the boys, cheering them up and making it seem quite home-like.

August 9th the left wing had orders to march to Frederick City, and when on the 17th the right wing joined us here, we were comfortably encamped on the grounds belonging to the old Barracks. But as these grounds were intended to be used as a hospital, we necessarily had to move into a new camping ground, which we did on the 21st of August, going into a beautiful grove called White Oak Springs, or Camp Kennedy, which was a splendid place as most of the 4th will remember. It was while in this camp that the boys began to- think that there was no use in having a doctor along if they couldn't be sick.

We remained at Camp Kennedy for two weeks. About this time we began to feel the need of new clothing, as our old ones were badly worn. There were scarcely two men in the regiment who wore clothes alike, and we were all running short of money, so that the prospect looked a little discouraging. It was reported at one time that we were to be slicked up and sent to Washington to be the body guard of General Scott; and at another, that the regiment was to be mustered out and sent home; but neither report contained any truth as was soon proved.

On September 6th, Colonel Woodhouse returned from Washington with orders to report to General Banks, so at nine o'clock on the morning of the 7th, the regiment got under way, and taking the road which leads around under Sugar Loaf Mountain we reached its base, where we spent the night, and the next morning before five o'clock we were climbing the mountain, and then moved on towards Barnsville until we came near Banks' headquarters. Here we camped in a small grove and on the morning of the 9th, just before we reported to General Banks, Colonel Woodhouse turned the command over to Lieutenant Colonel White, and we then went into Camp Lyons, where we found ourselves with 25,000 others of Banks' division. Here we met our brother regiment, the old 5th, then under Colonel Ferry, with many of whom we had become very intimate while organizing in Hartford; for they as well as the 4th had responded to the first call. All went merrily for about two weeks or a little over, when an event occurred which was of great importance to us all.

It took place on the 26th of September, and the event was the arrival of Colonel Tyler. Play was played out for us, and we had to get down to business pretty lively. This marks the beginning of a new era in the history of our army life. Comrades, do you remember him? He found the regiment an uneducated and undisciplined lot of men, and it was a task to make soldiers out of us, but how well he succeeded the appearance of the regiment soon testified. He brought our standard up to the highest, and that could not be beat. He at once commenced a system of inspection which brought every man in the regiment under his personal observation, and we thought he was a devil on wheels, for he had his fingers into everything. He was always at guard mounting, and would visit the guards in person, inspect their guns, and ask what we thought very foolish questions. I shall never -forget his first inspection when he told us our guns were filthy, and that, too, after we had taken great pains to clean them up for this special occasion.

Thus he continued his discipline until all the arms and accoutrements were in splendid condition, and looked even better than when they left the manufacturer's hands, and he kept up this order of neatness and behavior until our regiment attained a degree of excellence which could not be surpassed.

The regiment was transferred to General McClellan, Wednesday, October 2d. At eleven o'clock, tents were struck and the regiment took up its line of march for Washington. It rained all that day, which of course made the travelling very bad, the roads being muddy, sticky and slippery. We marched about eight miles, going into camp near Rockville. At seven o'clock the next morning we were under way again, and marching about nine miles further, camped at Tennellytown and waited there until we should receive new uniforms and accoutrements. These were given us on Sunday the 6th, and on the following morning the men were directed to throw away all remnants of their previous dress, take a bath in the brook, and get into their new clothes preparatory to marching Into Washington.

This was a change in good earnest, for you will all, doubtless, remember what a strong hold the enemy had upon us at that time. We were literally surrounded by the gray backs, and it was decided as the best means of thoroughly vanquishing the enemy to burn them. So placing them in piles they were burned, the enemy howling piteously meanwhile; but there was no show for them at our hands; we had raised the black flag against gray backs of every description, and Colonel Tyler was commanding.

On the 7th we started once more. Our march to Washington, that is the remainder of it, was a very pleasant one. Camp after camp were passed along the route up through Georgetown; and finally entering Washington we passed up New York Avenue to the open ground northeast of the capitol, where we went into camp; probably 50,000 or more having camped at the same place previous to our arrival.

Our first night here was one long to be remembered. The flood gates of Heaven seemed to open. Not only did the rain descend in torrents, but large hail stones as well, making, as the boys used to say, "Merry H-l" for a while. The wind blew a regular gale and it required all hands to keep the tents from blowing away. Morning came at last, and though the wind still continued to blow, the sun soon brightened things up, and the few days we stayed at Washington passed very pleasantly.

October 9th we break camp once more, and cross the long bridge into Virginia, leaving Washington behind us for a time. For my own part, I felt about like one of those recruits, who remarked that he should be glad when he got back into America again. Soon after crossing the long bridge which we did in broken step, we passed Fort Albany, and taking the road to Alexandria, halted just north of Fort Richardson and made camp partly on a side hill and partly in the valley, which was known as Camp Ingalls. The next morning found us drilling with pick and shovel, grubbing up the stumps at Fort Richardson where the engineers were at work; while a regiment of Michiganers, together with companies from several other camps in the locality, were employed in clearing the grounds here and at Fort Scott. But we soon relieved the other companies and had things all to ourselves. The work of clearing the grounds around Fort Richardson continued until we had been over fully ten acres of what had been Virginia forest, but when our work was completed the ground was as smooth as a hail floor, and then the company streets were laid out and arranged very much after the manner of a well laid out flower garden. While at Camp Ingalls we learned to make the camp fire, and to lay beside it through the night roasting one side and freezing the other, for the weather was, now beginning to grow quite cool.

Tuesday morning October 27th, orders were issued to have everything packed at fatigue call and ready to march; so we moved farther up on to the hill, and here we made one of the finest camps for beauty and comfort that was probably ever seen during the war. The situation could not have been surpassed, the ground sloping to the east and giving a fine view of the Potomac river and Alexandria; while from the summit of the hill we had a splendid view of Washington, Georgetown and the surrounding country. To the west of us were Blenker's German Brigade, and in fact on every cleared spot as far as the eye could reach, were forts and camp-fields.

We enjoyed our camp fire and when not engaged with our numerous duties, lounged about it telling stories and singing songs of the loved ones at home; nevertheless we were kept under strict discipline and soon made the acquaintance of the sling carts, the statuary and spread eagle, the pick and shovel, the stump pulling and the guard house, and our company officers felt the stem discipline as well as the men. The writer was on guard one night, and being a non-commissioned officer was directed by order of Colonel Tyler to go into company-and take certain men to the guard house and have them ride the wooden horse every alternate two hours through the night. This was accordingly done, and in the morning Colonel Tyler appeared at the guard house and walking up to the first of the three, inquired, "What are you on here for, sir?" "Don't know," was the reply. "All right;" the Colonel replied, and stepping along to the next man repeated his question, and received the same reply as from the first. Arriving at the third man he repeated "What are you here for, sir?" "Getting drunk," was the quick reply. "Humph! will you get drunk again if I let you off," asked the Colonel. "Yes I will, by G-d, before night, if I get a chance." "Humph! D-n good man," said the Colonel. "Sergeant, send this man to his company; keep these others here till they can tell the truth. I'll teach them not to lie to me !"

The Colonel was very attentive to the sick, and insisted upon their being well taken care of; but woe to the man who pretended to be sick.

October 30th we drew our new uniforms and then commenced our reviews. On the 31st we. received our State bounty, through the hands of Colonel Irish. On the 12th of November Major Birge was appointed Colonel of thern 13th Connecticut Volunteers. All this time we were drilling and reviewing, and getting into excellent training order, and toward the last of December we had a dress parade before Governor Buckingham.

January 2, 1862, by special orders from the War Department, the regiment changed its name and became the "First Connecticut Volunteer Heavy Artillery," consisting of twelve companies, of 150 men each. On the 11th our camp was photographed by Brady, of Washington. March 7th we were reviewed by Mrs. Gen'l McClellan and party; and on the 15th we were recruited up, and two more companies added to the regiment (L and M). This made work for the. older men, as they had to do most of the drilling of the new ones. On the 17th we were reviewed by His Excellency, Governor Buckingham.

April 3d, at 3 o'clock a. m., reveille was beaten, and we ate breakfast by starlight. At six o'clock the tents were struck and all unnecessary baggage turned over to the Quartermaster, or left with the 14th Massachusetts, who relieved us, and we were on the march for Alexandria. We embarked on the steamers Knickerbocker and Mystic, which were lying at anchor in the stream, and proceeded down the river, greatly enjoying the sights along the shore as we passed Mount Vernon, Fort Washington, and the deserted rebel batteries.

On the following morning we found ourselves nearly abreast of Fortress Monroe, among a forest of shipping craft, with the Monitor, which had been in that section only a short time, lying at a little distance from us, and of course we all wanted to get a glimpse of her, for she was quite a curiosity. It was only five days before this that the Confederate ironclad Merrimac, attacked the Union fleet at Hampton Roads, destroying the Cumberland and Congress, and damaging several other vessels, finally attacking this old cheese-box, the Monitor. After three hours hard fighting, the Merrimac was towed back to Sewell's Point, disabled and beaten, and did not again renew the conflict, for the Monitor had proven itself an invincible foe, and one to be much dreaded.

In due time we disembarked and spent the greater part of that day around the shore, watching the unloading of cavalry horses from the vessels and looking at the numerous guns standing on the beach. Late in the afternoon we marched out toward Hampton and went into camp, and in the meantime our guns were being loaded on to the barges.

On the 6th, while on Inspection, orders came to make another move; this time for Yorktown. Monday morning, the 7th, about five o'clock, we boarded the steamer John A. Warner, and proceeded up the Chesapeake, having barges in tow 'which contained our baggage. We remained On the steamer several days, but on the morning of the 11th we steamed up to Cheesman's Landing and commenced the work of the siege of Yorktown, and by the end of the month the batteries were nearly completed. It was called the heaviest siege ever laid in. the world, our heaviest guns being i 3-inch sea coast mortars, weighing 17,120 pounds, and throwing a shell weighing nearly 400 pounds, and 16,570 pound Parrot guns, throwing 200 pound shells.

The siege train of our regiment contained seventy-one pieces, consisting of. two 200, and five ioo pound Parrot guns; five 4½ inch guns; five 30 pound Parrot's; ten 13-inch sea service mortars; six 10 inch sea service mortars; ten 10-inch siege mortars; five 4½ -inch rifled guns; four 20 pound Parrot's; four 10 pound Whitworth; three 8-inch Howitzer's, which were left in the Park; and two 8-inch, five 10-inch, and five 8-inch siege mortars. For this service, there was transported, for use in these guns, 17,047 projectiles, weighing 857,417 pounds. This does not include powder and small stores which it was necessary to have with us. To transport this amount of ammunition it required 726 wagon loads.

On the 4th of May the Johnnies skipped, and were, well under way toward Richmond before their departure was known.

May 19th we were called into actual service as infantry; shelter tents were issued to every man, and we marched to Yorktown, and boarding the transports Robert Morris and New Haven, arrived at the White House Landing about seven o'clock P. M. of the 20th. The next day we were supplied with new rifles of the Springfield pattern of 1861, and we felt better.

Thursday morning the 22d, we were on the march again, and kept it up. all day, and the following day reached Old Church. The 24th Colonel Tyler was directed to move toward Hanover Court House to ascertain the strength of the enemy. On Tuesday the 27th, the battle of Hanover Court House took place, the 1st Connecticut, the 5th and 13th New York regiments, and Griffin's Battery staying on the field that night. We were occupied the 28th with burying our dead and reconnoitering, and the following day returned to Old Church. On the 30th we marched from Old Church to Coal Harbor, and on Sunday, June 1st joined the headquarters of the division and began again with our picks and shovels and picket duty. June 2d General McClellan ordered a detachment to be made from our regiment to supply deficiencies in the regular batteries, and 189 men were detailed for this purpose, returning to the regiment after the close of the campaign.

The 25th of June we were driven back into the Chickahominy and around to Fair Oaks, and pushed on to Malvern Hill July 1st; and from there to Harrison's Landing through the mud. So ended our peninsular campaign and we returned to the forts in front of Washington, with the exception of two companies which were kept at the front with the army of the Rappahannock and participated in the bombardment of Fredericksburg.

One day after we had been at the forts some time, an old citizen from near fort Barnard came to Colonel Tyler, stating that the Colonel's men were stealing his peaches. "They are?" says the Colonel, "I don't allow my men to steal sir, if you catch any of them at it bring them to me and I will punish them sir." The farmer succeeded one day in catching three men from one of our companies, and brought them to the Colonel saying: "Here are some of your men who have just been over stealing my peaches." "My men are they," asks the Colonel, and then turning to the parties caught, demands, "What regiment do you belong to sir?". "To Co.- of the 1st Massachusetts, sir," was the reply. "There, you see, sir, these are not my men," says the Colonel, and turning to the men again, "You sirs, go to your regiment and don't let me catch you around my camp again." "Now, sir," to the farmer, "you can go home, I told you my men would not steal, sir, I do not allow it."

September 5th, the confederates crossed the Potomac into Maryland and on the 14th the battle of South Mountain took place. On the 15th Harpers Ferry was surrendered to them with all its garrison, consisting of 8,000 men, and on the 18th they re-crossed the Potomac.

On November 19th, Colonel Tyler was promoted to a General. On December 11th some of our boys took part in the bombardment of Fredericksburg, under Burnside, but the Union forces were defeated with great loss of life.

On January 19th 1863, Capt. Henry L. Abbot of the regular army became our Colonel; and on the 28th, General Burnside was relieved of the command of the army of the Potomac and Fighting Joe Hooker took his place, with his long legged boots and short legged breeches were a source of much amusement among the men.

May 3d, 1863, another attempt was made to capture Fredericksburg, but it did not succeed. On the ioth of this month Stonewall Jackson died at Richmond, Virginia. On the 28th, at his own request, General Hooker was relieved of his command of the army of the Potomac and General Meade succeeded him. The following day an immense train, consisting of 600 wagons, 3,000 horses and mules, 1,500 head of cattle, and 6,000 negroes arrived within General Banks' lines.

June 9th Fort Lyons was blown up, killing 20 men and wounding 14. A Richmond paper dated June 18th stated that General Lee intended spending the 4th of July in Baltimore, Maryland.

July 1st, Generals Meade and Lee met in a terrible battle near Gettysburg, and after three days' constant fighting Lee was forced to retreat, leaving 5,000 killed and wounded and losing 20,000 prisoners. On the 4th of July, U. S. Grant made Vicksburg a lively little place; celebrating the glorious 4th by capturing 27,000 prisoners, 132 cannon and 50,000 stand of arms.

About this time there began to be talk about the need of veterans to help Grant, and every inducement was offered for reenlistments, on the ground that the veterans were worth far more than new men. The greater part of the old 1st volunteered to see the war through to the end, but there was not much fighting done until the following spring.

About the 7th of May, 1864, it began to be rumored that we were to serve another large siege train, and on the 10th the companies from all the-surrounding forts began to gather at Fort Richardson. At noon we set off on the march for Alexandria where we remained over night at Camp White. There we took steamers and landing at Bermuda Hundred were immediately put into the lines which Butler had just left in his advance to Richmond. On. the 16th the army of the James fell back, and when they found their old lines, guns, etc., in possession of the ist Connecticut Volunteer Heavy Artillery they began to feel safe and we thought they had good reason to. Let us for a moment look back into those old lines; along the north side of the James river; at Butler's Dutch Gap Canal; at the Crows' Nest in front of Fort Darling near Butler's Lookout; and then in front of Petersburg; our lines extending about eighteen miles. Think of the tons of iron and the number of cannons and mortars used. It was reported that we had on this Campaign over 125 cannons and mortars, and it would astonish even ourselves to figure up the amount of ammunition used. It would, I think, run into the thousands of tons; and think of the number of times the 1st Artillery sent their. compliments into the Johnnie's lines, and at their boats, without stopping to rap or even ask permission.

From the day the army of the James fell back to the entrenchments and the 1st Connecticut Artillery were placed in charge of their siege guns, until the arrival of the army of the Potomac, about a month, a heavy artillery fire prevailed along the line, the regiment firing 25 tons, or 1,971 rounds.

The first siege operations culminated in the battle of Petersburg mine, July 30th, 1864. On the 31st the great mine explosion occurped, when six tons of powder were exploded directly under the confederate forts near Petersburg. In this siege eightyone guns and mortars were served by the 1st Connecticut Artillery and the 4th New York Artillery, and about seventy-five tons of ammunition, or 3,833 rounds, were fired during the battle; and 225 tons, or 12,229 rounds in the preliminary work. This battle was probably the first in which spherical case shot was used from mortars. The novel expedient of putting thirty 12 lb. cannister shot under the bursting charge of a 10-inch shell, proved very effective.

Immediately after the battle a projected movement of the army of the Potomac necessitated the moving of 52 heavy guns and mortars, with all their ammunitions, etc., with urgent haste from the front of the 5th, 9th and 18th corps, to headquarters, a distance of eight miles. This was accomplished in twenty-seven hours, twenty-two light artillery and mule teams, and one hundred and seventy wagons being employed. The aggregate weight moved was 225 tons, and the work was done by the companies that had served the guns in the action. The enemy, did not discover the movement, which began at midnight of July 30th. The siege now took the form of bombardment, the average weight of metal thrown daily was, August 15th 2 tons; September 7th, 8 tons; October 4th, tons; November 2d, 7 tons; December 2d, 1 ton; January 1st, 6 tons; and February 1st 1 ton; aggregating 793 tons, or 37,264 rounds.

Around Petersburg, sudden artillery battles occurred at all hours of the day and night, often involving the entire line to check an annoying enfilade fire from the left bank of the Appomattox. A 13-inch sea coast mortar was mounted on a reinforced platform car and served on a curve of the railroad track. This novelty was widely known as the Petersburg express. During these operations the siege train was organized as a separate brigade under Colonel Abbott; such additional troops as were needed being temporarily attached. The aggregate number at times exceeded 3,500 men; the train contained 127 guns, 73 mortars, and the line of batteries was miles long. Over 1,200 tons of ammunition, or 63,940 rounds, hauled an average distance of seven miles by wagon, were fired during the siege.

We remained in front of Petersburg for eleven months, and were under fire continually. On March 25th 1865, General Gordon came over with three thousand men, and it is reported that he, went back with less than one thousand, but he succeeded in capturing about 700 Union prisoners, thirty-six of whom belonged to the 1st Connecticut Artillery, the writer being among that number. Petersburg was a disagreeably lively little place for us on that morning, for we were purposely placed in a position that exposed us to the fire of our own regiment, and consequently that position was anything but desirable.

April 2d an attack was made on our works, and one hundred men from our regiment accompanied the expedition, equipped with guns, lanyards, friction primers, etc., for use in case the charge was successful. The enemy were driven from the works and the captured guns turned upon them with considerable damage. On the 3d their lines were completely evacuated, Lee's army retreating to Appomattox Court House, where he surrendered to General Grant on April 9th, and the 1st Artillery went to dismounting the deserted confederate guns, a task which was not completed until after the 1st of July.

On the 13th of July we were transferred to the defences at Washington, and there continued to practice with the artillery until all danger was past.

On May 9th, President Johnson issued a Peace Proclamation, declaring the war at an end, but we continued to drill until the 25th of September, when we were mustered out and returned home to Hartford where we went into camp. On the 1st day of October, 1865, we were discharged from the employ of Uncle Sam, after four years and four months service, during one year of which time, from May, 1864, until April, 1865, we were under a continuous fire all of the time.

In closing I would remind my readers that we were volunteers in this service, and were willing and anxious to do all in our power to protect the old flag, come what would; and in the duties faithfully performed, as well as by the results accomplished, I think we proved our abilty to do so.

Return to [History at Rays Place]

Blind Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy