TRUMBULL, formerly North Stratford, originally belonged to Stratford. It was incorporated as a town in 1798. It
is bounded north by Monroe, easterly by Huntington and Stratford, south by Bridgeport, and westerly by Weston.
Its average length is about five wiles, and its breadth may average four and a half miles. The central part of
the town is about five miles north from the city of Bridgeport.
The township is uneven, diversified with hills and vallies, and the prevailing character of the soil is a gravelly
loam, and it is considerably productive. The lands are tolerably well adapted to the culture of grass, and to grazing.
The township is centrally intersected by the Pequannock, a small stream, which discharges its waters into Bridgeport
harbor. There are 4 houses of worship in the town, 2 Episcopal, 1 Congregationalist and 1 Methodist. The inhabitants
are generally farmers. The population in 1810, was 1,241 ; in 1830, it was 1,242.
In the north part of Trumbull there is an elevated hill, called Tamteshua Hill: it is the first land seen from
the Occan when on this part of the coast.
WILTON was incorporated as a town in 1802. It was previously a society in the town of Norwalk, organized as such
in 1726. The town is about 6 1/2 miles in length, and 4 in breadth; bounded N. by Ridgefield, E. by Reading and
Weston, S. by Norwalk, and W. by New Canaan and Salem in the State of New York. The surface of the township is
broken, there being two ridges running northerly and southerly through the town. The soil is a gravelly loam, considerably
productive, and best adapted to a grain culture. The lands are also wes adapted for fruit of various kids.
Aggricaulture is the principal business of the inhabitants. There is a satinet factory in the town. There are four
churches, 1 Episcapal, 1 Congregational, and 2 Methodjst. The central part of the town is seven miles north of
Wilton Academy is a classical school of high renute. Time students are generally from various States in the Union.
It was isstituted about the year 1818, by Hawley Olmstead, Esq., and is still under his direction. The number of
students is limited at about forty. - Professor Stuart, of the Andover Theological Seminary, is a native of this
A silver mine has been discovered in this town. It was worked by some Englishmen during the Revolutionary War.
After having worked in the mine for some time, they suddenly absconded, and took off their treasure with them.
Since this period the mine has been neglected.