Androscoggin County lies in the midst of the southwestern
section of Maine, having its greatest length from north to south. The Androseoggin River passes through it longitudinally,
dividing it into two nearly equal parts. The county derives its name from that ot the river, which is a corruption
of Anasagunticook, the name of the Indian tribe which formerly occupied the region. It contains the larger proportion
of the practically available water power of the Androscoggin and its tributaries, including three of the greatest
powers on the main river.
The county buildings are at Auburn, where, too, the courts are held. The county was organized March 18th, 1854;
having gained its territory from five other counties. Auburn, Danville (the latter since annexed to the former),
Durham, Polani and Minot were taken from Cuinberland County; Livermore and Turner from Oxford County; East Livermore,
Leeds, Greene, and Wales from Kennebec and Lewiston, Webster and Lisbon, from Lincoln. The county contains eleven
towns and two cities, most of them thrifty and several of them exceedingly flourishing. These are the cities of
Auburn and Lewiston and the towns of Durham, East Livermore, Green, Leeds, Lisbon, Livermore, Minot, Poland, Turner,
Wales and Webster.
The area of the county is about 400 square miles. The population in 1870 was 35,866; in 1880, it was 45,063. The
value of estates in 1870 was $17,592,555. In 1880, it was $20,776,973.
The surface of the country is in general very uneven, having many high hills, but no mountains. Its ponds, springs
and rivulets are numerous. Within its limits are Auburn Lake, Androscoggin, Sabattus, Taylor, Thompson, and Trip
Ponds, and the noted mineral springs of Poland, West Auburn and Lewiston. There are few extensive bogs, and there
is little other waste land. The agricultural qualities of the County are not surpassed in the southern half of
the State, and its manufactures are more extensive than that of any other county. Ihe Grand Trunk Railroad, with
its Lewiston and Auburn branch, the Buckfield and Rumford Falls Railroad, the Maine Central Railroad, with its
Androscoggin and Farinington branches, afford superior facilities for travel and commerce within and beyond its
borders. Unusual interest has been taken in education. Bates College is rapidly advancing to a first-class institution
; and to it is now added a Theolagical and a fitting-school. Hebron Academy, in Hebron, has long had an excellent
reputation, while the Auburn and Lewiston schools from primary to high are probably not surpassed in the State.
One of the most excellent and influential newspapers of the State is published within its borders, and through
its public men it has for several years had a marked influence in the nation. There is still greater development
and a happy promise of the future before it.