History of Cambridge, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Cambridge is the north-eastern town of Somerset County. It is the northern half of a six miles square township, the southern half being Ripley. Main Stream, a tributary of the Sebasticook River, passing through the original township diagonally toward the southwest, forms the dividing line between the two towns. It adjoins Harmony on the west, Dexter, in Penobscos County, on the east, and Parkman, in Piscataquis County, on the north The surface of the town is generally unlulating, with few high elevations, Ham Hill having the greatest altitude. The maple is the most numerous tree in the forests The soil is loamy, and yields good crops of wheat, corn and potatoes. Cambridge Pond, about midway of the western part of the town, is the principal sheet of water. Ferguson Stream, rising in large bogs at the north, runs southward across the southern part of the town, furnishing at Cambridge Village a power sufficient to run a saw-mill and a flour-mill. This village lies between Ferguson Stream and Cambridge Pond, and is the principal centre of business. The place is 70 miles from Augusta, and 24 north-east of Skowbegan. it is on the stage-line from Pittsfield to Harmony. The nearest railroad station is at Dexter, 10 miles east.

There are Baptist, Free Baptist and Christian societies in the town, and a Baptist and a Union church. Cambridge has five public schoolhouses, valued with the other school property at $1,200. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $109,182. In 1880 it was $117,312. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 16 mills on th dollar. The population in 1870 was 472, and in 1880 it remained exactly the same.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York