Embden lies in the southern part of Somerset County,
on the west bank of the Kennebec River, about 40 miles north of Lugusta. It is bounded on the north by Concord
and Lexington, east by Solon, south by Anson, and west by New Portland. The surface of the town is hilly. The highest
eminence is Black Hill, situated in the western part of the town. There are many ledges, and the soil is rocky,
except at the south-west corner of the town, where there are some good intervals. The largest crop is hay. The
forests contain the usual variety of trees. The sheets of water are Embden Pond, near the middle of the town, having
an area of 1,535 acres; Hancock Pond, at the north-west corner, containing 325 acres; and Sandy and Fahi ponds,
smaller, connected with Fahi, in the south-eastern part of the town, with several still smaller. On the outlet
of Embden Pond were a few years since two saw-mills for long and short lumber, and a grist-mill, turning-lathes,
threshing-machine, etc. There are other powers and mills on Martin and Mill streams, outlets of ponds in Concord,
and on Seven Mile Brook.
The first settlements in town were made along the river in 1779, by Amos Partridge, George Mitchell, and William
Hamblin. In 1782 Samuel Hutchins and a Mr. Young located on Seven Mile Brook, at the south-west corner of the town.
They were followed by Capt. John Gray, from Wiscasset, and in 1790 by Thomas MeFaden, Joseph Cleveland, with his
sons, Jonathan and Luther, and Edward Savage; and at about the same time came John Chamberlain and his sons, Jeremiah
and Stephen. John was the son of the John Chamberlain who shot the Pequaket chief, Paugus. (See Fryeburg.) On "Indian
Ledge," in this town are numerous cuttings in the surface of the rock representing objects familiar to the
aborigines. The ledge inclines to the water at an agle about 400, and the portion marked is about 12 feet long
by 3 to 6 feet wide. Some of the figures are as follows: two warriors and two squaws, dog and deer, bow and arrows,
a canoe with Indians, two crosses, a small wigwam and a larger house of English form, etc. A. Penobscot Indian
to whom these were shown acknowledged that he could not read the inscription, but said that there was one member
of his tribe who could. This ledge is situated about 2 miles below Caratunk Falls.
Embden was incorporated June 22, 1804. The active religious societies are Methodist. The town has eleven schoolhouses,
valued, with appurtenances, at $2,300. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $207,793. In 1880 it was $171,203.
The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 and 98/100 cents on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 803. In
1880 it was 674.