Limington, one of the most northerly towns in York
County, is bounded on the north L)y Baldwin, east by Standish, south by Hollis and Waterborough, and west by Limerick
and Cornish. The Saco River forms the boundary line of the town on the entire north and east, while the Little
Ossipee separates it from Waterborough on the south. There are several small ponds; of which the principal one,
situated on the north-east part of the town, is Home Pond. The soil is fertile, and the usual crops are cultivated.
The surface of the town is much brokeii, and there are seveial lofty eminences, the chief of which are Veasie,
Meserve, Moody and Maloy mountains, so called, and Crockettís Hill. Granite is abundant about the falls on the
Little Ossipee. The water-powers are numerous. Nasonís Falls, on Little Ossipee River, fall 60 feet in the distance
of one-fourth of a mile. Three miles further down the stream are Chaseís Falls, which have a descent of 35 feet
in 40 rods,óthe width of the river being 160 feet.
At Nasonís Falls there are shingle, stave and grist-mills; at Chaseís Falls are saw, box and shingle-mills; on
the outlet to Home Pond are saw and grist-mills; upon Salmon Brook an a grist-mill and a tannery, and on Kellog
Pond is a saw-mill having a clapboard and shinglem:ichiiie; at Steep Falls, on the Saco, at the north-east angle
of the town, Union Falls, near by, Limington Falls, a mile below the last, are saw and other mills for wood-working.
The principal village is Limington at the centre; other points are North, East and South Limington and Nasonís
Mills. Stages run daily from the village to Steep Falls, a distance of about 5 miles, connecting there with the
Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad; also, through South Lirnington, Bonny Eagle, and West Buxton, connecting with
the Portland and Rochester Railroad at the Saco River Station; also connecting at the latter place with stages
for Saco and Biddeford. The town was a part of Captain Francis Smallís purchase from Captain Sunday, a chief of
the region in 1668. In its earlier settlement it was known as Little Ossipee Plan. tation, which name it continued
to bear until its incorporation under its present name in 1792. In 1798 a tract of about 2,000 acres was annexed
from Little Falls Plantation (Hollis); and in 1870, about 1,500 acres of land with the inhabitants thereon, constituting
about one twelfth the valuation, was set off from Limington and annexed to Limerick. The first settler was Deacon
Amos Chase, who removed here and commenced a mill in 1773, at the location known as Chase's Mills, at the mouth
of the Little Ossipee River. Ezra Davis and Jonathan Boothby followed him in 1774, and John MeArthur and Joshua
Small in 1775. Eminent among later residents have been Abner Chase, Wingate Frost, Simeon Strout, Isaac Mitchell
and Arthur McArthur.
The first Congregational church was organized in 1789. The first church was built in 1793, on the site of the present
house; it was enlarged and rebuilt in 1835. The present first Free Baptist church was built in 1852. The number
of men furnished for the army in the war of the Rebellion was 153. The sum paid out for war expenses was $51,150,
for a portion of which, however, the town was reimbursed by the State.
The Limington Academy was incorporated in 1848. Its chief founders were Arthur and James McArthur, Rev. J H. Garmon,
Dr. Samuel M. Bradbury, Gideon L. Moody, and Isaac L. Mitchell. Among its valued teachers have been Rev. Jonathan
Atkinson, Rev. David Boyd, Hon. Samuel Tappan, Isaac Mitchell, Arthur McArthur, Esq., James Frost, Shadrach Boothby,
Rev. Westcott Bullock, Thomas Gilpatrick, and Richard Meserve, M.D., The town has sixteen public schoolhouses,
valued at $2,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $567,808. In 1880 it was $408,573. The population in 1870
was 1630; in 1880 it was 1431.