History of Palmyra, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber

Palmyra lies in the south-western part of Somerset County,
20 miles east by north-east from Skowhegan. It is bounded on the
north by St. Albans, south by Detroit and Pittsfield, and west by
the latter and Hartland; on the east, it is bounded by Newport in Penob-
scot County. There are six ponds shown on the county map, three of
which are very small. Palmyra Village lies at the center of the town
on a stream connecting two ponds, -- one just north-east, the other near
by on the south-west of the village. There is water-power on this
stream at the village, occupied by a shingle-mill. Others are on
Madawaska and Indian streams. Sebasticook River, the outlet of
Moose Pond in Hartland, runs through the western part of the town,
but has no considerable fall in Palmyra. The occupation of the people
is almost wholly agricultural. The surface of the town is rolling, but
without high hills. The soil is quite productive, especially in hay and
grain. Large stocks of cattle are kept, and most farmers have saved
money. The roads are generally good, and the scenes are pleasant to
look upon. A stage-line from the Maine Central Railroad station in
Pittsfield passes through Palmyra to Cambridge, and the village is
also the terminus of the daily mail-stage to Newport.

This township was purchased of Massachusetts by a Mr. Barnard
of New Hampshire, for 12 ½ cents an acre, and subsequently sold by him
to Dr. John Warren of Boston; and in 1798, it was surveyed by
Samuel Weston. The first settler was Daniel Gale, who removed his
family here in 1800. The town was incorporated in 1807, and in 1824
a national post-office was established here.

There are Christian, Free Baptist, Methodist and Advent societies
in the town, and also a Union Church edifice. The number of public
schoolhouses is 15, having a value of $5,000. The population in 1870
was 1,322. In 1880 it was 1,271. The valuation in 1870 was $347,097.
In 1880 it was $357,461.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter