Portland, eminent for its business facilities, for
the healthfulness and beauty of its situation, and for the enterprise and urbanity of its citizens, occupies the
chief harbor on Casco Bay, in the southern part of Cumberland County. Being the nearest port on the Atlantic coast
to the cities of the St. Lawrence, and having a harbor safe and Convenient for the largest ocean-steamers, and
open at all seasons, it has naturally become the chief seaport of the Canadas, as well as of Western Maine, and
the northern parts of New Hampshire and Vermont. From the city proceed the Boston and Maine, the Eastern and the
Portland and Rochester railways, traversing New Hampshire and Massachusetts business centres, and connecting with
the roads to all parts of the continent. The Grand Trunk of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad comes down through
the northern parts of Vermont and New Hampshire to the wharves of the ocean steamships in Portland Harbor. The
Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, passing up. the valley of the Saco, threading the White Mountains, by way of
St. Johnsbury, Vt., and thence to the foot of Lake Champlain, will afford a still shorter route to Canada and the
great West. The Maine Central with its branches, connects with the central region of the State from the Penobscot
almost to the Rangely Lakes; at Bangor it connects with the Piscataquis Railroad, and by the European and North
American Railway, with the systems of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. All these lines are connected in the city
by the marginal railway. In addition to the railroad facilities, lines of steamboats give water-carriage tri-weekly
to New York, daily to Boston, tri-weekly to Bangor and intermediate ports, weekly to Mount Desert and Machias,
semi-weekly to Eastport and St. John, N. B., and semi-weekly to Halifax, N. S., direct. The Allan line of steamships
ply weekly between Portland and Liverpool, from November to May, affording large facilities of import and export.
Most of the leading manufactures are produced in the city or in its vicinit.y,-many of them in large quantities
and of superior excellence.
The average amount of duties collected at the Portland Custom House for some years past is not far from $900,000.
The special industries in which Portland excels all other cities, are probably those of hermetically sealed provisions
and the fisheries, and the preservation of fish in various forms.
In the fish business, about a dozen firms are engaged in the packing of mackerel and herring. These firms during
the season of 1880, packed a total of 80,500 barrels of mackerel and 13,300 barrels of herring. The market-value
of these is little short of $500,000. The number of vessels engaged in the mackerel fishery is 162; in the herring
fishery, 75; making a total of 237 vessels, whose crews number 3,345. This does not include the persons employed
in packing the fish. Half a dozen more firms are engaged in the curing of cod and other fish. The three which do
the largest business in these, cured in the season ending with the middle of October, 1880, 50,000 quintals. The
curing is done on the islands in the harbor. House Island has been in use for this purpose for more than 200 years.
Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters
of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute
the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some
means bad clay; while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving
form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or
Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob.
Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3
miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated
from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side,
is Back Cove; and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping
gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill
at the east to the height of 161 feet; and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold
bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean
beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great
semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude
it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe.
From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with
this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade; second,
Fore street, miscellaneous trade; andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale
traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland; second, Oxford and Portland;
third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above
226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles; while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording
accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there
are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet
in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different
lines of steam cars, and the principal streets; connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's
Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near
the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its
own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted
to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter;
and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant
edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally
open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.
The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences
are already erected.
Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent
structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed
brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone.
A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms
on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan.
A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses
of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the
eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block,
on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters; and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with
its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange
streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red
brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was
half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up
on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several
papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure,
having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells
upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick
with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public
Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent
halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.
At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge
of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to
the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side
of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William
W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city
by the erection of many elegant buildings.
The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings
of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared
land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first; but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and
obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built,
and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up,
and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in
1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and
a wide extent of territory about this harbor; but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation
as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns
of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister,
and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first
minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the
town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers; and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem
as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived
upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned; and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected
on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French
Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were
laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened.
In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the
Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church,
arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's
Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off; losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year,
500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.
From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco."
With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt
in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the
place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.
In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up; so that
on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of
shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt
as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act; the hated stamps being seized
and burned as soon as they arrived; and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that
we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever;" and when the British government closed the port of Boston
in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture
and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October,
1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes.
The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into
the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses
were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence
as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions
of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times; cocked hats,
bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when
he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here."
In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette,"
published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town
was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about
2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store.
In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street,
and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants
began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure.
Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets; the mansion built by Ebenezer
Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street; that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street; and the
fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate; all
giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.
The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought
a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years; and all
the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment; eleven commercial houses stopped payment
in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned
the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while
others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."
The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of
the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district
of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital.
In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about
100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat
between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction;
the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor
Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston; and the Cumberland Steam
Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The
Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed
in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat; yet the steamboats and the Portland,
Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting
with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north
of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence
Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000.
This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing
regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and
the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide,
running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale
trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under
the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces
of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang
up, giving employment to hundreds of people.
The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city; and trade had again attained
to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt
to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here.
Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months
regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of
the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle,
or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many
of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.
One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue
collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found
her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors
set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up; and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing
steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred
to the British flag; but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.
On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence
the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House; whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading
like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid
mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one
common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes
of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's
Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes; fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness
of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself; ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions
of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad
flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.
In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened; and, after a lapse of ten years,
the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the
increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from
South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed
its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was
completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the
city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and
drainpipes; and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries.
In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete.
Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage
well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam
cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral,
industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a
home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.
Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned
the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already
been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town.
Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the
French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer
of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and
David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot,
a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five
years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number
of years, with other offices; also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards
Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff
William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf,
distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law; Stephen Longfellow, father
of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts; Prentiss Mellen, chief justice
of the State; Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine;
Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist; Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age
of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here; William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands;
Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years;
Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State; George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge
of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national
reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here; and William Pitt Fessenden,
the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George
Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former
member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted
citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli; Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and
in the Mexican war; and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons
or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville
Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen,
J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson
Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes
Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev.
Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson,
Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac
Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B.
Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O.
Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball,
Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who
have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur
McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter
on page 611.]
Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations.
There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others
of an intellectual and social nature.
Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and
Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000; Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000; Merchants'
National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000; and the Cumberland National Bank,
with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits
and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45; and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.
Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright,
readable and democratic; the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable; the Advertiser,
the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise; Republican in politics, but independent in
its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent
in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally
independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The
Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage.
The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country.
The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly,
by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The
Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose.
Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly
to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo.
Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to
local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants
of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its
politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators
In her public schools, Portland takes much pride; for with them she has not hesitated at the expense of the best
instructions and super. vision which could be obtained. They are very carefully graded, and the standard of scholarship
is high. The schoolhouses are generally not only handsome buildings, bat their internal arrangement is well.
planned for the health and comfort of the occupants. The number of schoolhouses belonging to the city is fourteen;
and the value of school property is $413,025. The value of estates in 1870 was $29,439,257. In 1880 it was $30,437,541.
The rate of taxation in the latter year, was $25.50 on $1,000. The population in 1870 was 31,413. By the census
of 1880 it was found to have increased to 33,810.