Shawnee lies east of Mound. It is almost wholly a rich prairie, broken by no considerable streams. It is drained
by Elk Fork and Little Deer creeks, which run north to Grand river, and. Mound branch, which runs south to the
Miami. There was little or no timber in the early days and like Mound, Shawnee was regarded as grazing land.
The story of the early settlers of Shawnee is shrouded in doubt and uncertainty as to date and the permanent settlers;
but it appears that about 1828 a hunter named Raupe from Lexington had occasion to be on Mound, and seven Indians
captured him, and after robbing him of his gun and equipment, set him free. Then it appears that a Mr. Evans was
on top of the same mound in the fall of 1835, counting the deer within his vision, and viewing the beautiful landscape
in all directions from that favorable elevation. It is claimed that he came to what is now Shawnee in 1832 or 1833
and took up a claim. William Charles settled on Elk Fork in 1837. A man named John Weschusen, directly from Germany,
came and settled on the headwaters of Elk Fork. There are others mentioned in a general way, hut' nearly all, after
a year or two, went elsewhere. Along in the forties James B. Sears, a native of Kentucky, came and settled. The
historian alleges that the first apple orchard planted in Shawnee was planted by Elisha Evans, and that he raised
the first wheat crop in that township, "and possibly the first crop in the county, outside of the Harmony
Mission settlement." Upon these meager data and unsatisfactory details hangs the claim that the second settlement
in the county was in Shawnee township, the first being Harmony Mission in Prairie township in 1821.
Culver has one store, and is a community center and trading point. It is located in section 25, or near the southeast
corner of the township.