History of Plattsburg, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Franklin and Clinton Counties, N. Y. For 1862-3.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Ogdendburg, NY 1862


PLATTSBURGH was first recognized as a town April 4, 1785. A part of Peru was taken off in 1792, Beekmantown in 1820, Saranac in 1824, and Schuyler Falls in 1848. It lies upon Lake Champlain, a littie south of the east border of the county, and includes Valcour and Crab Islands. These islands are memorable, the first for the naval engagement which took place near it during the Revolution. The remains of the Schooner Royal Savage, sunk at that time may still be seen. Crab Island, for its being the burial place of the sailors and marines killed in the naval battle of Sept. 11. 1814. The surface of the town is level and gently undulating in the east, and broken and hilly in the west. It is principally drained by the Saranac and its branches. This river is the dividing line on the south between this town and Schuyler Falls. The soil in the east is a clayey loam, underlaid by Trenton limestone; in the center, a sandy loam underlaid by Calceferous sandstone; and in the west, a light sand underlaid by Potsdam sandstone. Cumberland Head is peninsula extending into the lake, and forming Cumberland Bay. Extensive Military Works were begun here in 1814, but were abandoned upon the approach of the enemy. The State of Vermont presented Com. MacDonough with a farm on this point, which is still owned by the descendants. Plattsburgh, upon Cumberland Bay, at the mouth of the Saranac, was incorporated March 3, 1815. It has a safe and commodious harbor, and an excellent waterpower, giving it facilities for a large amount of both eomnierce and manufactures. Besides the county buildings, it contains a town hail, custom house-built in 1856, at a cost of $80,000, and contains rooms for the custom house, post office and U. S. Court,-and the Plattsburgh Academy. A large amount of mercantile and manufacturing business is carried on, there are also three first class Hotels. A destructive fire occurred on Bridge Street, on 17 Dec., 1861. Upon a sandy plain, one mile south of the village, and ninety feet above the lake, are situated extensive barracks belonging to the United States Government.

These buildings were commenced in 1838; and were originally designed to inclose a space of 600 feet square. Only a part of the design has been carried out. Troops were stationed here until 1846, whenthey were sent to join the army in Mexico. The buildings are now used by the Clinton Co. Agricultural Society for its annual fairs. During the fall and winter of 1861, the Macomb Regiment was recruited here under Capt. Lot Chamberlain. Cadyville, upon the Saranac, Elsinore, one mile above Cadyville, and Salmon River (South Plattsburgh P. 0.) are small villages. West Plattsburgh is a post office. The first settlement was made befere the Revolution, by Chas. de Fredenburgh and several associates, under royal grants. During the war, the settlers were driven off and the improvements were destroyed. In 1785, a tract of seveh miles square was granted to Zephaniah Platt and 32 associates who had bought up military land warrants to that amount; Nathanie Platt was the first Surveyor and Agent for the proprietors. The first three families who settled under this grant were those of Charles Platt, Chas. McCreedy and Kinner Newcomb. The town has an area of 30,380 acres.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy